Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Good fast SD card deals?

Home > General > Computer & Tech Chat

Reply To Topic

20-07-2018, 16:20   #1
Skink

Total Posts: 938
been digging around but a bit overwhelmed by choice both in cards, vendors and all the flipping codes they put on their cards - just picked up a second hand Bridge camera that does HD video, with my older SD cards it struggles and clearly appreciates faster. My biggest card is 8GB which is okay for photos but rubbish for video

Figure I must be able to pick up a 32 or 64GB with fast write speeds (Class 10?) for sensible price - camera takes SD but figure Micros SD and adaptor will give me more choice / value these days.

Pref Sandisk but I think all the main brands are decently reliable these days
_______
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
20-07-2018, 16:32   #2
geared

Total Posts: 13,077
Check what card rating the camera can take, there are speeds above class 10 which are recommended for UHD video.
20-07-2018, 17:21   #3
truman

Total Posts: 19,993
I think you can get class 10 32 gb for less than a tenner
_______
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left...
22-07-2018, 13:46   #4
Janus

Total Posts: 2,185
I would endorse what Geared mentions about checking what cards the camera can handle. I have a camera whereby it states max is class 6. My cycle cam takes a class 10.

As for price, keep an eye on supermarket offers. Tesco had their Sandisc cards at half price back in May. I got a 64GB class 10 for about 17 and they come with an adapter. (If you get a bargain without an adaptor, I have a spare brand new adaptor I can give you). Also check Morrrisons/Asda.

Avoid eBay as apparently as there are a lot of fakes cards on there I have seen it mentioned a few times.
22-07-2018, 19:48   #5
swarfendor43

Total Posts: 6,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
I would endorse what Geared mentions about checking what cards the camera can handle. I have a camera whereby it states max is class 6. My cycle cam takes a class 10.

As for price, keep an eye on supermarket offers. Tesco had their Sandisc cards at half price back in May. I got a 64GB class 10 for about 17 and they come with an adapter. (If you get a bargain without an adaptor, I have a spare brand new adaptor I can give you). Also check Morrrisons/Asda.

Avoid eBay as apparently as there are a lot of fakes cards on there I have seen it mentioned a few times.
I went into Morrisons at Hillsborough Barracks looking for an SD Card and was told they don't sell them and that I would need to go to the 'photo shop' in the Barracks.
23-07-2018, 07:56   #6
zach

Total Posts: 219
I picked up a Samsung Evo 128GB from My Memory for under 30. These come with SD adaptor and are very fast. Online only and as above, check first.
23-07-2018, 09:44   #7
kidneystone

Total Posts: 1,913
I always get my memory cards from here https://www.mymemory.co.uk/
_______
I've been Mortified many times
Sheffield Tram Ride
Sheffield Fire Starter
Sheffield Tram Ride 2
27-07-2018, 06:05   #8
ez8004

Total Posts: 1,247
You can’t just look at class numbers. You need to look at actual read and write speeds.

The truly fast SD cards have a read and write speed of 90MB/s or faster. The Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC can do it. The Samsung EVO Plus can but only on cards of capacity of 128GB or larger.

These cards are not cheap. It is a matter of you get what you pay. The Sandisk card I mentioned cost around 58 for 128GB. Amazon is running a really good deal at the moment on the Samsung EVO Plus at 33 for 128GB.
Reply To Topic