Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

This mayor does not represent me and should not make statements like we do not want Trump here. He would never come here anyway. The people who protest trump make me sick with their hypocrisy. They want democracy 64 million voted for him, they want respect and disrespect him beyond words. Trump was the better of the two candidates although yes the choice was pretty dire. Trump is racist blah blah blah. Multiculturalism is fine but there are limits but any comments and racist card is played.

Just for accuracy that's less than the number who voted for the other candidate, and worth factoring in the US' intelligence services appraisal of Russian interference in election aimed at helping Trump.

Back home we know Vote Leave cheated in the EU referendum, Gove has admitted their comments about Turkey joining EU were misleading and out of order, and electoral commission has heavily criticised leave campaigners around the figures banded about regarding the NHS' benefits if we left.

Good old democracy eh! Not surprising the riich and powerful are in favour of democracy is it if they can buy it or manipulate it?

This mayor does not represent me and should not make statements like we do not want Trump here. He would never come here anyway. The people who protest trump make me sick with their hypocrisy. They want democracy 64 million voted for him, they want respect and disrespect him beyond words. Trump was the better of the two candidates although yes the choice was pretty dire. Trump is racist blah blah blah. Multiculturalism is fine but there are limits but any comments and racist card is played.

Is it any wonder The Trumpet avoided Sheffield, with a bunch of old miseries like you here ?

Maybe if you pulled your socks up, got off your backside and built a world-class golf course in Sheffield with a seaside hotel, then maybe The Trumpet would want to visit.

I suspect that Sheffield still has excellent connections with the highest levels of the Russian government - another bonus to The Trumpet!

What is it with naysayers like you, constantly pulling the city down ?

No wonder you don’t like the new Lord Mayor much - he pulled his socks up, got off his backside and did something with his life.

Maybe you should try it for yourself sometime, instead of constantly sniping from the sidelines ?

sounds familliar

just like "fans" of Trump, Farage etc, wont even think a bad word of them no matter what they do, because they are cut from the same cloth.

:suspect: funny that

See, you're doing it again - why don't you write "SOME of them".

Trump is directly threatening the jobs of Sheffield people through his economic decisions.

The Lord Mayor states that Trump is not welcome.

Should a Sheffield Lord Mayor show loyalty to Sheffield?

How can Sheffield people support Trump putting Sheffield people out of work?

It’s not as divisive as supporting trump or the views of the daily mail though.

Depends on the person an actual views, I guess.

I agree it’s wrong to say someone is racist for doing so though - I would question why a person with an open attitude to other races would support trump or the daily mail - as they would appear to conflict a bit?

I don't (fully) support Trump and I rarely read Daily Mail so maybe I'm not the right person to ask, but I don't see the direct conflict.

It’s fantastic to see all this publicity and media attention he’s getting.

Well done to our new Lord Mayor :thumbsup:

Trump is directly threatening the jobs of Sheffield people through his economic decisions.

The Lord Mayor states that Trump is not welcome.

Should a Sheffield Lord Mayor show loyalty to Sheffield?

How can Sheffield people support Trump putting Sheffield people out of work?

I'm not sure you're making the right comparison.

Have you factored in and quantified: had Trump not won the election, what would be the impact of Clinton's policies on the financial well being of Sheffield?

Have you researched and evaluated what deals, investment and benefits to the city, may have been lost due to our Mayor's expressing anti-Trump sentiment?

It's not a simple calculation as you indicate...

Also, and I don't know how others feel about this, a Mayor should not be so blatantly expressing his own views, he should be representing the views and interests of the people, and certainly I feel he should be apolitical. Someone previously made the point, well, most people in Sheffield don't like Trump. That's not the same as most people in Sheffield would want their mayor to express anti-Trump sentiment. Also, I get the feeling that he expressed his views (on Trump), because they are his views, not because he though that was the general public feeling.

The litter picking up, I like that very much. I'd like it much more if he does that when the cameras are not there.

Not seen anything regarding wearing hats and jumping on tables in council HQ, so can't really judge him on that. Would think that kind of behaviour a bit juvenile and lacking in class though.

I completely detest Trump by the way.

It’s fantastic to see all this publicity and media attention he’s getting.

Well done to our new Lord Mayor :thumbsup:

By that logic O'Mara should be congratulated too for the media attention he's been getting. I think things are generally a bit more nuanced than that.

I agree that Magid has garnered quite a bit a press and most of that has been positive, and I do think he has been quite good publicity for Sheffield.

However, I believe it is true that Lord Mayors are meant to be politically neutral during their time in office, and so would question whether some of his more recent actions fit into that.

See, you're doing it again - why don't you write "SOME of them".

some of what?

what i have seen, ALL fans of trump, especially those on here are obsessed by him and do not accept criticism of him...at all

By that logic O'Mara should be congratulated too for the media attention he's been getting. I think things are generally a bit more nuanced than that.

I agree that Magid has garnered quite a bit a press and most of that has been positive, and I do think he has been quite good publicity for Sheffield.

However, I believe it is true that Lord Mayors are meant to be politically neutral during their time in office, and so would question whether some of his more recent actions fit into that.

Nobody cares about Jared anymore; he’s yesterday’s news.

Quit living in the past and embrace the future with our new, youthful Lord Mayor :thumbsup: