Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Breaking: Bill to kill net neutrality for good!

Home > General > Computer & Tech Chat

Reply To Topic

18-07-2018, 00:39   #21
ez8004

Total Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfendor43 View Post
So you ignored the bit about Netflix balancing its books?
Explain to me how Netflix increasing its prices is going to affect net neutrality in the EU

How is netflix incerasing its prices suddenly going to tier my internet speeds in the UK?

Do you have ANY idea what you are talking about?
22-07-2018, 20:01   #22
swarfendor43

Total Posts: 6,301
Another advert for specsavers methinks.

OK, net neutrality ends in US - if you want Netflix you will need to pay extra for fast blur free connection. Customer base drops in US affecting Netflix profitability. Solution? Make up the difference by charging UK/European customers for the drop-off in the US Market.

And it only take time for a change in Administration this side of the pond to think differently. In any event as someone who thinks globally we should be standing up to any threat to net neutrality, just as Tim Berners-Lee has done.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...net-neutrality

Last edited by swarfendor43; 22-07-2018 at 20:05.
23-07-2018, 06:30   #23
ez8004

Total Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfendor43 View Post
Another advert for specsavers methinks.

OK, net neutrality ends in US - if you want Netflix you will need to pay extra for fast blur free connection. Customer base drops in US affecting Netflix profitability. Solution? Make up the difference by charging UK/European customers for the drop-off in the US Market.

And it only take time for a change in Administration this side of the pond to think differently. In any event as someone who thinks globally we should be standing up to any threat to net neutrality, just as Tim Berners-Lee has done.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...net-neutrality
You still haven't explained how Netflix putting up their prices will tier my bandwidth.

A service increasing its prices that you always had to pay for isn't fundamentally affecting net neutrality. Netflix increasing their prices doesn't mean that my streaming to to say YouTube will be affected for example. It is the ISP that affect net neutrality as they can prioritise bandwidth to however they want. This is what the EU prevents the ISP from doing.

Using your example, Netflix can charge whatever they want, but they can ONLY affect their OWN service. This isn't a net neutrality issue.

You need to read up on this as your understanding on the matter isn't right at all.
Reply To Topic