Bristol City v Sheffield United

Thanks chaps for keeping this thread on an even keel.

It's not needed a Mod near it, so it must have gone ok.

Last game of the season but we achieved a very welcome cease fire from some of the usual suspects.

Yes Graps, someone on this very thread (since edited out) said 'yeah, you can have Freeman for a £1'

Earlier on in the season, he impressed me very much whenever I saw him, so I'm a bit taken aback that someone didn't rate him.

I'd have him at Hillsborough tomorrow. I'm not knocking our present right backs (ok, maybe one of them) but I'd always welcome quality to S6 and for me, Freeman fits the bill, whether at right back, or right midfield.

Yes Freeman is a good player, only came back from injury for the last few games, but made a massive impact, including a scorcher of a goal in the final game.

He would be a decent addition to any team pal.

Have you come back in a better frame of mind? Can I change my avatar and signature now? :):)

Ha ha. My poo post was a childish retort to the other junior school remarks on that thread. I'd change your signature if I were you.

Yes Freeman is a good player, only came back from injury for the last few games, but made a massive impact, including a scorcher of a goal in the final game.

He would be a decent addition to any team pal.

Hi Graps. Popped in the Monkey yesterday. They've done a great job on it.

It's a Real Ale pub, but with seriously historic, 1800's fixtures and fittings in places. They wouldn't last two minutes in my old area, they'd be nicked or smashed at the very least They may not survive even some of the studenty clientele it seems to have attracted.

Still, rather them than some of my old schoolmates, or football fans eh?!

Good mix of customers though, all quiet and 'refined'.

Only 4 hand pumps, no ale to my taste, but on tap on the back wall of the bar was a very nice Craft Theakston's Mild.

It was near enough packed around 4-30, so I think it's got a great future.

Edit: I don't like the name 'Blind Monkey' (unless it's got some historic connotations that I don't know about?) and as the owners seem to like Blue in their colour scheme, the sooner it's called 'The Blue Monkey' the better?!?!?! or just 'The Monkey' if the blue word deters some Blades (as it will do).

One of my favourite pubs is 'The Hillsborough Hotel' which ironically enough is soon to become the home of the 'S6 Blades' with coach trips organised from there, and Blade raffles and stuff.

'The Hillsborough' ............ S6 Blades ......... You couldn't make it up.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

Ha ha. My poo post was a childish retort to the other junior school remarks on that thread. I'd change your signature if I were you.

It's a Real Ale pub, but with seriously historic, 1800's fixtures and fittings in places. They wouldn't last two minutes in my old area (Parson Cross) they'd be nicked or smashed at the very least They may not survive even some of the tree hugging, studenty clientele it seems to have attracted.

Still, rather them than my old schoolmates, or football fans eh?!

Only 4 hand pumps, no ale to my taste, but on tap on the back wall of the bar was a very nice Craft Theakston's Mild.

Edit: I don't like the name 'Blind Monkey' (unless it's got some historic connotations that I don't know about?) and as the owners seem to like Blue in their colour scheme, the sooner it's called 'The Blue Monkey' the better?!?!?! or just 'The Monkey' if the blue word deters some Blades (as it will do).

One of my favourite pubs is 'The Hillsborough Hotel' which ironically enough is soon to become the home of the 'S6 Blades' with coach trips organised from there, and Blade raffles and stuff.

Ey up Hottie, thanks for the update on the Blind Monkey, not often you see a pub serving "mild" anymore, eh?

I will get in there in the next few weeks and have a tipple or two, see what beers they have on. Glad they have done a good refurb job, nice to know that some people are still trying to do the right thing with pubs in this country.

Ey up Hottie, thanks for the update on the Blind Monkey, not often you see a pub serving "mild" anymore, eh?

I will get in there in the next few weeks and have a tipple or two, see what beers they have on. Glad they have done a good refurb job, nice to know that some people are still trying to do the right thing with pubs in this country.

I was amazed to see how full it was and to see around 7 staff buzzing around.

The number of real ales needs upping (there's room for another 3 or 4 on the bar) and for my own personal taste, I'd like to see more 'dark Malty beers' available, as most pubs seem to be going for the IPA's, and the golden coloured Hoppy stuff. Straw coloured beers are just not my bag.

Oh, and if you have any sort of a bladder problem (as a lot of us old geezers have ....... not you..... me) then it could be a problem when the place is full.

Room for two only. Errm, I see a huge problem around Chrissy and the New Year!

Enjoy your visit ....................

The number of real ales needs upping (there's room for another 3 or 4 on the bar) and for my own personal taste, I'd like to see more 'dark Malty beers' available, as most pubs seem to be going for the IPA's, and the golden coloured Hoppy stuff. Straw coloured beers are just not my bag.

Oh, and if you have any sort of a bladder problem (as a lot of us old geezers have ....... not you..... me) then it could be a problem when the place is full.

Very good morning Hots, Always read your posts, interesting..The blind Monkey, never heard of it, where is it located, might try a pint in there sounds OK. Trouble is we have"nt got a pub where I live (shiregreen) big estate and they"ve all gone to the wall.

Hi Padders.

It's the Old Firwood Cottage on Whitehouse Lane at Walkley.

The 31 bus from town to Hillsborough via Walkley passes the door.

The old pub was err ......................... a bit of a dive, but the Monkey is a bit of class to be fair.

It's deffo worth a visit.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

Hi Padders.

It's the Old Firwood Cottage on Whitehouse Lane at Walkley.

The 31 bus from town passes the door.

The old pub was err ......................... a bit of a dive, but the Monkey is a bit of class to be fair.

It's deffo worth a visit.

Cheers mate:thumbsup:

I dont mind straw coloured ales on a warm day, but like yourself, I like a dark, malty beer, porter and stout as well.

Let's see what they have on when I go in.

I dont mind straw coloured ales on a warm day, but like yourself, I like a dark, malty beer, porter and stout as well.

Let's see what they have on when I go in.

That’s three of us then, love a dark malty beer.

---------- Post added 20-05-2018 at 12:05 ----------

It's a Real Ale pub, but with seriously historic, 1800's fixtures and fittings in places. They wouldn't last two minutes in my old area (Parson Cross) they'd be nicked or smashed at the very least They may not survive even some of the tree hugging, studenty clientele it seems to have attracted.

Still, rather them than my old schoolmates, or football fans eh?!

«* The Hillsborough Hôtel*» soon to be a Blades pub ? Please enlighten, is this a new place or a soon to be new place ?

* The Hillsborough Hôtel*» soon to be a Blades pub ? Please enlighten, is this a new place or a soon to be new place ?

Not exactly a Blades pub, as such. The owner, Tom, is a Scot and supports St Johnstone or summat similar. Of the Sheffield clubs, he prefers United, but dunt describe himself as a Blade. A recent fundraising event run at the pub gave tickets for Bramall Lane as 1st prize (the booby prize was 8 tickets :hihi:) There was talk about running United coaches from there for away matches, so he must have had the idea himself, or been approached by someone (probably approached by someone 'cos he's not overly bothered)

His son is an Owl, and the place is pretty mixed with, I'd say, slightly more Blades than Owls (and one who supports United in this pub, and Wednesday anywhere else :hihi:)

On match days, away fans are welcome, so it's a comfortable, safe environment.

Watch some geezers spoil it.........................

I think the pub used to be called 'The Wellington' and is on the corner of Wood Street and Langsett Road (Primrose View tram stop, blue and yellow trams).

Good choice of beers and decent food. All in all, a good pub.

Hope that helps?

Edited by Hotmale 1954

Thanks for explaining. From your description sounds like it’s worth a visit. If they decide to run coaches I would be interested. As a non season ticket holder my chances of getting an away ticket are slim. Might have to look at buying one. Used to be called the Wellington ? Anywhere near Dykes Hall Rd ?

Thanks for explaining. From your description sounds like it’s worth a visit. If they decide to run coaches I would be interested. As a non season ticket holder my chances of getting an away ticket are slim. Might have to look at buying one. Used to be called the Wellington ? Anywhere near Dykes Hall Rd ?

Hi Ridgey.

My memory is poor and I'm only guessing at 'Wellington' It may well have been the Royal Oak or the Red Lion, but Wellington is my choice? ..................

It's 200 metres townside of the Primrose View tram stop, diagonally opposite where the old Kelvin Flats were.... from the beer garden you could throw a stone in to Aldi's car park.

From the pub Conservatory, you overlook Hillfoot Bridge and the boarded up Farfield Pub (which I've heard is soon to be 'revitalised')

If it is revitalised, you can be sure it'll be a real ale pub and should be another great addition to the 'Valley of Beer'.

On Penistone Road, as you drive towards Hillfoot Bridge town bound, look right at the top of the hill and you'll see a large (night time illuminated) HOTEL sign.

That's the place.

Nip in and have a pint or two. The regulars (normally at the bar) are a friendly lot, and you'll soon pick up any news or gossip re Blades and away trips (if they're still considering them, that is) You'll soon gather who's Owls and who's a Blade.

Just ask, someone will know.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 08:59 ----------

Sheffield Camra designate May as the 'Mild Month' every year, and encourage Breweries to brew Mild and stock it in the region's pubs for the whole Month.

For the people who don't know, 'Mild' doesn't mean low in alcohol, or low in taste either. There's a few 4 per cent plus Milds about, and the taste is usually deep and full. A lovely drink.

To find out which pubs stock Mild, get a copy of 'Beer Matters' (the free Camra Magazine) for April or May and there's usually a few listed in there, but not all.

You have to make an educated guess which Breweries will participate and which pubs would encourage and promote it.

Not enough in my view.

Edited by Hotmale 1954