Proposed Change To Tuesday Charges

From July 1, the SFBC committee are proposing that on Tuesday nights when we play up until 15 points (so when a member of the committee makes a call that there are a sufficient number of people to play to 15) then those who have signed up will pay £3. Those who haven't signed up will still pay £5.

Members all need to sign up by midday on Tuesday (as recorded in the time of your post on the Forum) for the £1 discount to apply.

If you have any comments about this proposal then please email sfbc@live.co.uk

Are you sure you want all comments regarding this fed back to the email address only?

Just thinking this is a forum so one of the benefits is to avoid duplication and save time responding to similar queries plus also promoting transparency.

Got a few suggestions and ideas for improvement, let me know.

Will

Hi Will.

Feel free to post your comments/suggestions in this thread.

Thanks..

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for getting back.

Okay. First off - like the proposal for Tuesday nights when it gets busy, I think that works well. Everyone still gets decent games and less waiting times.

Only been a member a short time so apologies in advance if this is not accurate or has been discussed previously. It looks like you can only sign up to play via the SF website (at least in order to apply for the discount).

I noticed a couple of people missing the deadline including myself. Have you guys thought about using one of those online team management systems? Benefits include members can sign up to play (or not play) via web, email, sms or mobile app. All responses are captured and recorded to a central point making it easier to get instant access to an accurate and up to date list.

It could be a win-win for everyone. Giving members the flexibility to choose the option that best suits them and saves all the manual process stuff the committee does such as collating and updating the list on SF website.

While the email and web responses are free, think the SMS may be charged at 12p (plus VAT) but that may also depend on your tariff plan.

You could always trial it as they're free to set up.

Kind regards,

Will

The club has been running for many years now. Same process from day one with hundreds of players adhering to.

Let's not put pressure or increase the workload on the volunteers and keep it simple, players drop a comment in a forum which takes seconds, we all have a week to do it. Missing the deadline isn't the committees problem tbh. And this way is always easy to admin for them. (Sheffield Forum also has apps now i believe which helps players sign up mobile, easy and free)

If you change the signing process you may as well change the club name, lol!

Nice to have some new ideas though so fair play. ;-)

Didn't notice this thread was replied to, only came across it by chance.

Thanks for your reply alko27 - are you one of the regulars? or a committee member? Either way I'll call you Dave, mystery person. :)

The idea(s) was to benefit both players and volunteers. For the committee it actually relieves the pressure and cuts the workload, talking from experience here. Not to mention better record keeping, account management plus think of the environment - saving paper, energy and time. The events are all automated to go out, contacts centralised so alerts/updates sent out if the match cancelled last minute due to say adverse weather conditions, or booking multiple courts in advance due to metrics/patterns and/or real time updates - I could go on.

Never said missing deadline was the committee's problem :)

Can't see how opening up the sign up process and making it more flexible would warrant a change in name. If that's true then why have a facebook group/page, microsoft account or even our own website at all?

I'd agree if nothing is broke, don't fix it but then we believe in continuous improvement.

Come on Dave - embrace change. Don't be scared, take some risks... things never improve if we stand still. :)

tbh, I'm still new to the group so no idea how decisions are made but be interesting to hear thoughts from other members (players and committee).

I'm irregular now sadly due to location but I was a committee member for three years from 2009 to 2012.

The attitude of 95%+ players in all my years (started playing at SFBC in 2008) is very much just to turn up, play and pay. The club has done incredibly well for so long without the need to change.

In my time helping out, the clubs finances were done on one spreadsheet, and the weekly sign ups were done on one sheet of paper in a pad which takes 5 minutes or so to list the names off the forum.

We met as a committee 3-4 times a year covering finance/operation and banking was done when necessary.

Cancellations/updates are put on facebook so you get a notification instantly.

Not sure how much easier that can be?

Present your idea up at the next AGM is the best way to get support, if it works they'll vote.

The two replies in 8 months on this post might emphasize what I'm saying about pay and play attitude, that's all people want to do. Possible evidence that change isn't necessary?

If there was a simpler way of operating I'm sure it would have been implemented by now. This is coming from the biggest risk taker out there. We broke the Guinness World Record in 2011 playing a 29 hour badminton match. I love change, my personal opinion is it doesn't need it. Though I'm happy and open to be convinced. :) Also a lot of the above is just my opinion, could well be plenty of players wanting to embrace change.

Any ideas to support the club and the committee are always well received so good on you for bringing up some ideas. :thumbsup:

Best wishes, hope to see you all on court soon.

Allan. (Dave)

Edited by alko27