Parking rip off (again) - 40% increase in charges

Sharrowvale parking charge have gone up by 40%.

How can the council justify this? - I bet the wardens pay hasn't gone up by that much (if anything at all).

I guess that once again the west of the city is subsidising those people who don't pay their rent.

All areas outside the city centre are having the same increase.

This is the first price increase on council parking four and a half years.

The period of free parking that drivers can get in these areas is increasing as part of this change. It was 15 minutes, now it's 20 mins.

is it any wonder people go to outside town malls to shop. I went to barnsley last week, free to park saturdays,sundays and bank holidays..only sheffield ripping us off again

I guess that once again the west of the city is subsidising those people who don't pay their rent.

aw bless, my heart bleeds for you 10bob millionaires stung by what must surely be the most shameless money grab ever attempted by our greedy city council.

Atenatively, you could just move to the North East of the city. Apparently, none of us here pay rent or council tax, and as for parking charges ?!

Haha, you must be joking :hihi:

is it any wonder people go to outside town malls to shop. I went to barnsley last week, free to park saturdays,sundays and bank holidays..only sheffield ripping us off again

Hardly a fair comparison, a market town against a major city with more than twice the population. If you check the pay and display prices, some of the tariffs in parts of Barnsley town centre are dearer than in Sheffield city centre.

Sheffield council parking charges are at the cheaper end for a large city. Places like Manchester and Leeds are a lot more expensive.

Parking is free in Sheffield at Bank holidays and is free outside the city centre on Sunday's. You can park all day in the city centre for a quid. Again, very cheap for a major city.

Not surprised its free to park. There is nothing there apart from 17 different variations on Poundland and a Greggs.

You are seriously going to compare a big city like Sheffield to a small town like Barnsley - its rediculous.

Back on topic, it is clear that the whole area of Sharrowvale / Ecclesall Road / Broomhill has far too many cars for the available spaces. Land is not infinite and the demand is ever increasing. Its a constant battle between residents, students, shops and offices and its not going to go away. Its what happens when you CHOOSE to live in a popular area close to a major city centre.

What else is the council supposed to do? Discouraging people from using their cars is the way forward everywhere.

As others have said, for all the bitching and whining, parking permit charges in Sheffield are nowehere near those of other major cities. Try Manchester where some of their central zones are up to £500 a year or Birmingham with their city £750 permits.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Not surprised its free to park. There is nothing there apart from 17 different variations on Poundland . . .

Wow, Baaaaaarsnley folk are spoilt for choice :o

We have two Poundlands near Castle Square, and one on the Moor, and that’s it.

Lucky them :rant:

But we have a Pound Bakery, ‘cos we’re classy

In 1968 when I garaged my car in the suburbs of another northern city it cost 10/- a week (50p), equivalent to about £8.50 today. If you've no drive or garage of your own you may not have a nearby parking space at any price in some inner suburbs. It's not a totally new problem.

It's one reason why many of us move further out of town - then complain about all the congestion caused by fellow citizens doing the same. I am your congestion, and you may be mine! We need to get back to walking, cycling and taking buses, trains, and trams to get around, and giving up cars altogether.

You first, of course, not me. A massive change of attitudes in society will be necessary to resolve these issues.

Sharrowvale parking charge have gone up by 40%.

How can the council justify this? - I bet the wardens pay hasn't gone up by that much (if anything at all).

They are probably on a nice bonus for every ticket they give unsuspecting motorists .

---------- Post added 30-09-2017 at 20:26 ----------

Hardly a fair comparison, a market town against a major city with more than twice the population. If you check the pay and display prices, some of the tariffs in parts of Barnsley town centre are dearer than in Sheffield city centre.

Sheffield council parking charges are at the cheaper end for a large city. Places like Manchester and Leeds are a lot more expensive.

Parking is free in Sheffield at Bank holidays and is free outside the city centre on Sunday's. You can park all day in the city centre for a quid. Again, very cheap for a major city.

How generous of the council . :roll:

All areas outside the city centre are having the same increase.

This is the first price increase on council parking four and a half years.

The period of free parking that drivers can get in these areas is increasing as part of this change. It was 15 minutes, now it's 20 mins.

Four and a half year in which the pay of the wardens has gone up by a maximum of 4%

So, 40% increase in parking fees, but 25% increase in time allowed to stop... SCAMMERS!

So the surplus generated by the parking extortion will just increase - what was it last year? Over £2 million? Well justifying the increase - NOT!! When they brought it in (against the majority's wishes), they said the fees would only cover costs - LIARS!

I have to admit I don't know... because the City Council have not responded to my Freedom of Information Act request within the proper timescale - yet more evidence that they have something to hide! CHEATS!

Four and a half year in which the pay of the wardens has gone up by a maximum of 4%

So, 40% increase in parking fees, but 25% increase in time allowed to stop... SCAMMERS!

So the surplus generated by the parking extortion will just increase - what was it last year? Over £2 million? Well justifying the increase - NOT!! When they brought it in (against the majority's wishes), they said the fees would only cover costs - LIARS!

I have to admit I don't know... because the City Council have not responded to my Freedom of Information Act request within the proper timescale - yet more evidence that they have something to hide! CHEATS!

Since when do parking prices have to be linked to staff wage costs?

Charging for parking is a demand management measure designed to assist in managing congestion. That is the only lawful reason local authorities have to increase prices once they are covering their costs.

They made circa £3m surplus last year.

Your responses look rather disproportionate for a 20p per hour increase. Most people thought 50p per hour was cheap. 70p isn't exactly a kings ransom.

What did you want to know on the FOI and have you reminded their FOI team it's overdue?