Manor Lane School

:thumbsup: Anybody live near my old school... my very old school... apart from work going on to exstend it someone said that part of it had been sold off... if you know anything come back

I used to live just up from there, on Dovercourt Road. Some of my cousins went there. Far as I know, theyre extending the top part (the bit thats actually on Manor Lane), and theyve sold the bottom part (the bit on City Road) to the doctors surgery further down.

my mum attended that school so did my uncles and my daughters and my son starts there after the holidays,the field where sports day used to take place has now got a huge building on it,not sure what is going to be its not finished yet......also one of the customers on my window cleaning round used to be headmaster there...Mr. Britain.

Originally posted by kirky

my mum attended that school so did my uncles and my daughters and my son starts there after the holidays,the field where sports day used to take place has now got a huge building on it,not sure what is going to be its not finished yet......also one of the customers on my window cleaning round used to be headmaster there...Mr. Britain.

Thanks for replying.

It would have bin around 58,59 when I first started so when was your mum there?

I had some happy times at Manor lane be it a long time ago.

my mum would have left around that time her name was stephanie mckee before she married my dad.....she reads this forum quite often but ive never seen her post on here.

a lot of water has gone under the bridge of life since that time so I don't recall any names.

I hope your mums well and you enjoy the lodge.

Trek.

Thanks for replying.

It would have bin around 58,59 when I first started so when was your mum there?

I had some happy times at Manor lane be it a long time ago.

I attended Manor Lane School in 1959, I remember sitting my 11 plus there. We used to walk all the way down to the school from Manor Oaks Farm. I remember passing the prefabs and the slag heaps. My brother was always in trouble for arriving at school filthy from climbing over the slag heaps. It was a long time ago and I not recall any names as such but the name Joan Osbourne rings a bell.

Just stumbled on this thread in the forum. Kirky I used to live next door to your mum. If she still monitors this forum it would be nice to know. Perhaps we could speak using a pm. She'll know who I am from my username.

My mother in law was a dinner lady at manor lodge in the 70s and 80s . Her name was Mrs Jean Finney and she lived on city road.

Believe there's another thread for this. No matter. I attended Manor Lane School from 1948-51. In the first couple of years I was there, the school only consisted of the old Victorian stone building on City Rd. Then, they built the "new" part of the school in what was then the school yard at the back. Headmistress was Miss Horner.

Manor Lodge school is in the process of major refurbishment , the first stage is complete , my son was one of the first to move in . Eventually the whole site will be a mixture of upmarket apartments and studios , it will have private security and electronic gates . I'm glad they're reusing a prominent old building , but should they have built homes for the local's ?

My mother in law was a dinner lady at manor lodge in the 70s and 80s . Her name was Mrs Jean Finney and she lived on city road.

The name Stephan rings a bell. Any connection?