Pace Maker experiences needed

My wife may be having a pace maker fitted over the next year, she's in her mid 40's and I was wondering if anyone has had or knows of anyone who has one fitted around the same age (or any age), it's the information, experiences and advice that anyone has that would be helpful.

I've had one fitted and that, coupled with the various medications, means I can get on with my life without the annoyance of various heart fluctuations.

It all depends on the reason she's having it fitted, mine is for when my heart rate drops below a certain level.

I'm a bit older than your wife but my advice would be just take it in her stride and get on with her life.

Thank you for replying Max.

She's having another cryoablation. Her first one didn't last long, about 3 month's, but this second one is more intrusive and this time it's under a general anesthetic and If it doesn't last long then the surgeon will talk about a pace maker but keeps saying that its a last resort because of her age. I was just wondering about other peoples experiences and any information and advise would be great in learning about pro's or any cons involved.

Thank you Max and I hope it's been a big success for you.

Ask if your wife can be seen by the arrhythmia nurses who are based at NGH but also work at RHH. They will be able to answer any questions she may have about cardiac devices.

There are support groups to who your wife may benefit from being in touch with too.

All the best.

I had one fitted at 84 years old (occasional missed hearbeats at night)) in Rotherham General Hospital and the medical team that did it were brilliant. It was fitted using a local anesthetic and i did not feel any dis-comfort at any time during the operation.

After a little time you will not notice its there.

They gave me a small electronic tablet that is at the bedside that sends back signals on how my heart is performing at nightime while I sleep.

Click on links below

https://www.biotronik.com/en-de/products/home-monitoring

https://www.biotronik.com/en-de/products/home-monitoring

Edited by alankearn

Hi Daven,

Thank you so much for the advise, I will find out about the support groups. It looks like that its all about the amount of times they can change it, which is every 8 yrs, and its that which is the dangerous bit.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and also I'm very sorry about your Mum, I lost mine to cancer recently but she also had dementia for 3 years, from the official diagnosis, and it was devastating to watch it take hold. Take care

---------- Post added 16-05-2018 at 20:48 ----------

Hi Alan,

That looks amazing and I had no idea that it could be done under a local anesthetic, wow, Thank you so much for that and all the best with it.

Hi Daven,

Thank you so much for the advise, I will find out about the support groups. It looks like that its all about the amount of times they can change it, which is every 8 yrs, and its that which is the dangerous bit.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and also I'm very sorry about your Mum, I lost mine to cancer recently but she also had dementia for 3 years, from the official diagnosis, and it was devastating to watch it take hold. Take care

---------- Post added 16-05-2018 at 20:48 ----------

Hi Alan,

That looks amazing and I had no idea that it could be done under a local anesthetic, wow, Thank you so much for that and all the best with it.

Hi Sean.

The initial procedure is very routine these days and is done under a local anaesthetic and xray control. It will be done as a day case There are risks, of course and these will be explained to her before the procedure, but the benefits of having the device will outway these.

The battery of the device will have to be changed but it all depends upon how much the device is needed in the heart. She will have regular checks of the device in the pacing clinic within the ECG department where they assess the usage of the device and can detect when the battery is depleting and will need to be changed. Again, the battery change is done under local anaesthetic and as a day case. This procedure are far quicker than the original implant which involves placing wires in the heart.

She will be asked to attend a pre admission clinic when she gets a date for the procedure and the nurses there will explain everything and answer any more questions you may have.

Thank you for your sympathies Sean.

My lovely Mum had been coping with Alzheimers Disease for over 9 years. A very cruel disease that strips a person of their personality - very distressing to watch this happening over a period of years. She was cared for in a wonderful care home for the last few years of her life and passed away very peacefully in the NGH.

Losing anyone is very difficult but to miss them before they have gone is terrible.

Sean - any update ?