Council tree felling...

Just to clarify, which of the incidents in that long thread are you pointing to? It does happen that householders give permission to protestors to stand on their property. That may have happened in your account in your first posting there. Certainly any protesters I've spoken to know that they can't stand in gardens where permission hasn't been given.

And if a branch bonks them on the head its their lookout.

Common sense.

Common sense says that work should only be carried out when it's safe to do so. :roll:

Guest makapaka
Do you have any examples of them not respecting those rights?

On Radio Sheffield last week some residents (I think in Nether Edge) were interviewed.

One or two said that the protestors were quite hostile when refused access to peoples gardens.

Just to clarify, which of the incidents in that long thread are you pointing to? It does happen that householders give permission to protestors to stand on their property. That may have happened in your account in your first posting there. Certainly any protesters I've spoken to know that they can't stand in gardens where permission hasn't been given.

The homeowners at the Norton Lees protest were out, so the two 'sweet little old ladies' took it on themselves to sit on the steps on the homeowners property.

The front page of the Sheffield Telegraph had a picture of a protester in a full face mask, don't you feel this is rather threatening? They have also been photographed filming the workmen doing their job...that's a no no.

Why shouldn't they film the workmen? News crews have been doing the same and broadcasting it on national television.

Common sense says that work should only be carried out when it's safe to do so. :roll:

So to prevent the work being done all the protesters have to do is make the situation unsafe. Which I'm sure they are happy to do, up to and probably including personal injury and/or death.

Fair warning should be given, obviously.

Why shouldn't they film the workmen? News crews have been doing the same and broadcasting it on national television.

They usually have their permission to film. They're news crews, not vigilantes!

Perhaps they should come on here and tell us, after all there are two sides to every story.

As a Nether Edge local, I am fully supportive of the need to selectively get rid of some trees. Walking down Sheldon Road with its ridiculous pavement is next to impossible. I usually just walk on the road.

As a Nether Edge local, I am fully supportive of the need to selectively get rid of some trees. Walking down Sheldon Road with its ridiculous pavement is next to impossible. I usually just walk on the road.

Whilst not a Netheredge local, I do walk up and down that road on occasion.

Hard to see how that pavement could be made level, suitable for wheelchair use, whilst maintaining access to driveways.

Look , if you lived in a house where the tree outside was blocking your light and growing up through the pavement wouldn’t you want it cut down ? They pay their council tax for this very reason.

Look , if you lived in a house where the tree outside was blocking your light and growing up through the pavement wouldn’t you want it cut down ? They pay their council tax for this very reason.

If I was 130 years old and lived in a house where a tree had been planted outside the house I bought 100 years ago which blocked out the light, I would understandably be upset about it.

As for Sheldon Road, it's a perfect example of ongoing mismanagement. As a general supporter of the campaign to save the healthy trees of Sheffield, I have taken part in a tree protest - I do think Sheldon Road has become a mess and is one of the more extreme examples of an uneven pavement. The cherry that they felled on Wath Road however was a different story and was not growing through the pavement to a degree of causing any hazard, was not wanted down by the resident of the house it was outside, as I understand, and may in fact now cause problems with water entering the cellar in that particular area where this can be a problem alleviated by the tree's presence.

A far better solution would be (in retrospect) to remove many Sheldon Road trees, leave the ones on Wath and plant some on Wake that doesn't have any - removing the dark feeling to Sheldon Road and spreading the trees out wider.

Now, retrospective is all well and good and we can't go back in time - but nor can mismanagement be cured with a few cuts of a chainsaw and replacement saplings which seem to be far fewer than the supposed 1:1 ratio of newly planted trees to removed. The mismanagement is over decades; a true plan to resolve that would also have to be put in place over decades and is do-able if run by the council but can't be done when farmed out and sold off for quick profit for the interest of shareholders abroad rather than local residents. Which is an issue that even those wanting any particular tree down should be concerned about