Dot ORF files on my DSLR

Used my DSLR for the first time in ages, and having copied the photos to my laptop, find out they are .ORF files which my laptop cant seem to open. What have I done wrong?

Can I convert them easily? Or do I need to find a 9 year old to sort it?

Edit..... realised they are RAW files.... so I suppose I will have to open them in photoshop and save them as jpg files, unless anyone knows of a short cut....

Edited by smithy266

I take it you have an Olympus camera? You need an ORF file converter but i don't think Olympus distribute any free software to do it. You could always try using online converters such as zamzar, otherwise it might be worth paying for software if you want more convenience.

Hope this helps a little. Mike

Thanks Mike, will give it a go....

No problem at all. I have a Fujifilm camera and they have a RAW file converter for free on their support/downloads section, i don't know whether it'll work for ORF files but being a type of RAW file it could work, i can't post website links yet but it's available on their site if you type in fujifilm raw file converter into google.

Ok, thanks again.

Just waiting for Poldark to come on, then I will escape to the computer! Will let you know how I get on.

---------- Post added 11-06-2017 at 22:09 ----------

Ok, Poldark been and gone, meanwhile had a look at Zamzar, then the Olympus file converter, and have now, thanks to you Mike, successfully converted the photos to jpeg. Cheers!

I downloaded something called FASTSTONE which is free and it seems to open any file to read/save