The best time to start a Business

Hey, I have it from a very reliable source that advise and funding will be drying up within 2 years as the government make cuts. Now really is the best time to start a Business!

I'll get myself booked on as many freebie business link courses as possible then now!

The cessation of funding cannot possible be a good reason to start a business. And then, only a small minority are eligible at that when it is available.

Depends what type of business you want to start :D

The cessation of funding cannot possible be a good reason to start a business. And then, only a small minority are eligible at that when it is available.

Theres some great free and subsidised advice/ workshops/ consultancy out there. Plus, you can find funding if you persevere.

I've done a lot of the hardwork so If anyones at the planning stage PM me if you want some links to some good resources.

Get involved and be lucky!!!

bests, T.

Having spent several years awarding what must be a cool few million on funding, it's never quite that simple i'm afraid. Either it's there for a specific purpose to help specific type of industry or person, or it isn't. And then, either you meet it's eligibility criteria or you don't.

Yes, plenty of free advice, trainings and seminars, and there always will be no doubt.

But in terms of money into your business to pay for stuff, don't hold your breath on most counts. Funding has dwindled accross SY since a lot of funding streams came to an end and BL renewed it's contract with a new focus away from the old one.

Takes a bit of lateral thinking and a bit of frustration but I'd still say its a good time to start a Business.

Grants / loans and other business funding is never as good as it might first sound.

In most instances the terms and conditions make it very difficult to obtain the funding and if you do there are usually lots of conditions attached as to how and when you can spend the money.

As with any business really if you have a good idea, have found a gap in the market and have your own funding in place then that is the best time to start a business.

If any other funding comes your way then treat that as a bonus.

I would never advise anyone to set up a business just to obtain funding.

I have seen too many people set up businesses or move location on the promise or hope of funding only to be left on the verge of bankruptcy when the funding doesn't arrive.

No Business is going to be entirely funded by external sources- thats always been the case- all small Businesses bootstrap. My point was theres some great advice and resources available now, but I'd agree its not always available to everyone.

There was more funding around when I was at SENTA giving it away, as others were, than there ever is now. So the time has passed for it being the 'best' time to start a business. There is actually far less now than there ever was pre-2007.

Its a pity we can't wind back time!! Nows a good time to start a Business rather than waiting 2 years was the OP, least this is the advice I've received. Just trying to encourage folk, Keep PM'ing me if you want some practical and constructive advice.

Bests as always, T.

Edited by TJC1
extra!!

I can't imagine who told you that, but hey ho. I wouldn't agree with that and it's not a good time if people are reliant on funding to get started, as that means they have no other money to fall back on. And it usually always costs more than people initially plan for.