Anyone had experience with BiG?

Has anyone gone to BiG for help with setting up anew business>

I'm looking for some help with my business plan and also some funding. Does anyone know what they are like? Good/bad? Is it hard to get funding? How long does it take?

Basically any info at all is great help

Ta!

I have nothing but praise for the organisation, not through personal experiance, but that of my clients. I have four clients that are either currently get support or have had support and I am convinced that they would not be doing what they are if it had not been for their help.

Don't think of it as 'just for funding', their advise is just as valuable.

Good luck!

I'm looking for some help with my business plan and also some funding. Does anyone know what they are like? Good/bad? Is it hard to get funding? How long does it take?

Ta!

I set up my training Company last year through their help and advice. I can recommend them

Lizzie - give us a try, and do let people know what your experience was like.

Start with: thebigwebsite.org.uk

Ta!

I've not had any direct experience of BIG but I know a lot of people who rave about them. Also try Business Link as they are very good at sign posting where to look for help (and they have funds available to help get a business started).

There are numerous funding sources but it is, somewhat, dependant upon what your business is/will be? Can you say what your business is about?

I've written a generic blog about starting a business at http://www.starting-a-new-business.co.uk where there are a number of references for support/funding sources.

Good luck with whatever it is you have in mind!

Thanks Steve, that's a great help. The blog looks really helpful.

I dont want to say too much cos its so early on but its in retail and I believe there's gap in market but then i'm biased!

Lizzie - give us a try, and do let people know what your experience was like.

Start with: thebigwebsite.org.uk

Is BIG associated with SYIF? I've already made an enquiry with them and were not interested as we haven't begun trading yet (which we cant until the software is developed that we need a loan for).

No BiG is a LEGi funded project specific to Sheffield which is all about business start up so it doesnt particularly matter if you have not started tradeing yet

Hi, I found them terrible to deal with! I found them very pushy, they no longer offer funding only loans. I felt almost as if I couldnt get the help unless I opted for their money, which really I didnt need.

I also have encountered other business who have had far worse problems then I had.

One of them was threatend that if they didnt use the web designer offered to them by BIG then they wouldn't sell the domain url she had paid them to buy!

Lets put it this way its run by business men and women (all who at one point have been high flying makes you wonder if they were so good why give it up to earn minimal amounts in comparisen. when they could still help small businesses without giving up thier own.

Feel free to try them out, but go with an open mind and dont be dissapointed if their not all you hoped.

Just wondered if anyone working at BIG had a track record of running a succesful business?

the person I spoke to had never sustained one!

Why do you offer up that information?!? When trying to install confidence in your services. MAD!

Hi, I found them terrible to deal with! I found them very pushy, they no longer offer funding only loans. I felt almost as if I couldnt get the help unless I opted for their money, which really I didnt need.

I also have encountered other business who have had far worse problems then I had.

One of them was threatend that if they didnt use the web designer offered to them by BIG then they wouldn't sell the domain url she had paid them to buy!

I've not worked with BIG, but have been messed about by other organisations.

It appears a lot have a bank of web designers, graphic designers - all the people a start up needs. Some organisations apply for grants to pay for these services for a start up, but they negotiate a discount with the supplier, giving them a payment for 'brokering' the deal.

As a start up myself Business Link have no interest in me as I am not creating jobs. I have not contacted BIG but my opinion is just to lead your business by yourself. There are too many people employed as 'eneterprise advisors' etc, offering the same basic advice anyone can find on the internet and all this Government money is doing is keeping them in jobs.