Sheffield businessman slates the unemployed

Nick Murphy of HS Direct in Meadowhall is struggling to fill a sales vacancy so he's turned to the local rag to ask "do people just not want to work? Is the stay at home on benefits culture really that appealing?"

Funnily enough I've just looked through Universal Jobsearch and he's not even bothered to list his vacancy on there.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/do-people-just-not-want-to-work-sheffield-boss-despairs-over-struggle-to-fill-vacancies-1-8697107

Obviously people do want jobs, but maybe not with this company.

Minimum wage? Zero hours? Earn "upto" 27k - yeah right, whatever. There must be something putting people off and maybe this entrepreneur should try and understand why his vacancies are so unappealing, if he doesn't know already.

Obviously people do want jobs, but maybe not with this company.

Minimum wage? Zero hours? Earn "upto" 27k - yeah right, whatever. There must be something putting people off and maybe this entrepreneur should try and understand why his vacancies are so unappealing, if he doesn't know already.

remuneration is stated quite clearly in the artice

"....basic salary of £15,600 rising to as much as £27,000 with commission..."

The base starting salary offered is actually over £1k a year above the highest rate of minimum wage. That's not even including any sale commission payments. Hardly a bad entry level wage is it.

Quite frankly I dont care if a job offer is minimum wage, no fixed hours, casual labour, commission based or other.

SOME work is better than no work. If you dont have a job and are fit and capable of working, you take it until you find something better.

No perfectly capable person who can work should be owed a lifestyle.

We would all like to sit on our keisters waiting for the perfect job that we choose to do to be handed to us on a plate. In the real world for the vast majority of us life does not work like that.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Seeing as how the hours on offer aren't stated in the advert, there's no way of knowing what the hourly rate is.

Asking people for CVs (like it's still 1978 ) and saying you "might" get a response reveals the kind of employer this is likely to be.

Seeing as how the hours on offer aren't stated in the advert, there's no way of knowing what the hourly rate is.

Asking people for CVs (like it's still 1978 ) and saying you "might" get a response reveals the kind of employer this is likely to be.

What the hell are you talking about.

"Basic salary" probably worth looking up that definition.

As for CVs. Companies do that all the time. Have you any idea how many CVs companies could get for a job advertisment. Dependant on the size of the company it could be hundreds or thousands.

You dont seriously think that they are going to acknowledge and reply to each and every one do you? Are you saying that asking for a CV is some kind of archaic and mean recruitment process these days?

Blimey, I had better inform our HR Director.

Edited by ECCOnoob

This seems to make no sense to me. Either he is inundated with responses to his job, or he isn't. If he isn't then he should reply.

CVs are crap and if someone needs to tell your HR department that then I'd start by sacking the HR Director.

I agree that people who get benefits should do some kind of community service - sweeping streets or doing voluntary work. But it isn't the dark ages, people shouldn't be exploited just so some sweaty oik made good can make money from their misery.

If he can't fill his vacancies then his company is at fault. I've never had problems finding good staff.

This seems to make no sense to me. Either he is inundated with responses to his job, or he isn't. If he isn't then he should reply.

I was not talking about him specifically I was responding to your rediculous post that somehow asking a job applicant to provide you with a CV is outdated and totally wrong.

If you read the article he has also said that people have failed to turn up to interviews offered so clearly HE IS responding to those relevant CVs when appropriate.

None of that changes the simple fact that no company will nor even should respond individually to every single CV they receive and reject. The administration involved in such would be rediculous.

Its why most companies will clearly say when applying that if you hear nothing within xxx weeks or days assume you have not been successful etc...

CVs are crap and if someone needs to tell your HR department that then I'd start by sacking the HR Director.

Strange that. I work in one the biggest law firms in the country and I would say at least 80% of our staff are recruited by CVs. Wonder how we have managed to keep it going so long if we are doing it so wrong.

Away from just the basics of merely job applications, CVs are used all the time, Its how we pick and choose our experts, engineers, advisors, consultants, counsel and other academics that we require for our work. I certainly would not let mine lapse these days.

I agree that people who get benefits should do some kind of community service - sweeping streets or doing voluntary work. But it isn't the dark ages, people shouldn't be exploited just so some sweaty oik made good can make money from their misery.

I really dont understand what you mean by "exploited" and "misery" if there are jobs to be done, employers willing to hire staff and people seeking work, then why shouldn't they be taken up.

They are getting PAID for their employment. What is the exploitation?

Surely your suggetion of "community service" in exchange for benefits is the real exploitation. You honestly think such circumstance is more acceptable than people actually being employed (albeit in a job they may not like) and earning wages. That really doesnt make sense.

Look at the storm the whole workfare, apprenticeship and traineeship schemes cause whenever they are muted. Surely a proposal such as yours woud set the streets alight.

If he can't fill his vacancies then his company is at fault. I've never had problems finding good staff.

Maybe you should reply to the Star and give him some advice to what he is doing wrong.

Edited by ECCOnoob

CVs are outdated IMO and many organisations stopped asking for them decades ago. This is a fact.

I'm not the one with a problem, so I'm alright Jack. He's the one slagging off the people of Sheffield and insinuating it's a city of lay-abouts. If he has no problems finding staff down south, surely he should just move his business down there?

---------- Post added 11-08-2017 at 01:12 ----------

"I think, from our experience, that people are a bit more inclined to work the further south you go," he said.

I'm sure this is a repeat of the same story reported sever months ago in the Star which was also a company in Meadowhall. Its good free publicity for them but as someone stated in the replies it seems like its just call-centre work.

remuneration is stated quite clearly in the artice

"....basic salary of £15,600 rising to as much as £27,000 with commission..."

The base starting salary offered is actually over £1k a year above the highest rate of minimum wage. That's not even including any sale commission payments. Hardly a bad entry level wage is it.

Quite frankly I dont care if a job offer is minimum wage, no fixed hours, casual labour, commission based or other.

SOME work is better than no work. If you dont have a job and are fit and capable of working, you take it until you find something better.

No perfectly capable person who can work should be owed a lifestyle.

We would all like to sit on our keisters waiting for the perfect job that we choose to do to be handed to us on a plate. In the real world for the vast majority of us life does not work like that.

Sorry but this is wrong.

Rent, bills, food etc are continuous ongoing expenses that don't stop when the work does. What is going to make up the shortfall? Regular (and reliable) Benefits stop when work is taken and they cannot cope with stop/start employment, so people face considerable hardship if the work isn't regular. It's nothing to do with 'lifestyle' but with not being able to pay everyday bills. I've known a number of people get into serious debt when taking on this kind of employment from which they never recover. Though they are hardworking and have had the best of intentions it's turned out to be the worst thing they could have done. It's resulted in homelessness and worse.

You say you 'don't care if a job offer is minimum wage, no fixed hours, casual labour, commission based, or other...' Then I suggest you try it. Or at least use your imagination as to how you would pay your bills with this sort of unreliable income.

As for something better coming along, it's easy to get trapped by this sort of work until nothing better ever comes along. Employers know there's always more workers where the last one came from so there's no incentive to offer a better deal. And the cycle continues. That's got to change

Ha Ha who are you to say what an employer asks for? that kind of comment reveals what kind of employee you are likely to be.....i.e not one i would want:roll:

I know a few people, myself included, who have worked in call centres and wouldn't apply for a job like that. And why? Because it is sales and possible worse than that outbound sales.

Worked inbound doing customer service/general enquires is bad enough trying to make sales to people who really don't want to buy, not my thing. I would be crap at it because I'm too honest. That's what others I know who work in call centres have said too.

I would apply for an inbound non commission job for less money over a sales job.

Also it is not worth working any job for some people. My sister has split from her husband and has a 2 year old. She needs to find a job that is at least 16 hours a week but also one she can do round childcare - she gets 15 hours free because she is on benefits. Working a minimum wage job, a few hours a week may well make her worse off. On one job she got an interview (she went to the interview but didnt get the job) for we calculated she would be worse off because of travel costs and the reduction on benefits.