Outpouring of grief over celebrities.

Why do people display such grief over celebrities that they have never met, like Bowie?

Some people feel that they know their favourite celeb on a personal level so when they kick the bucket they feel a genuine loss?

Ok we don't know them on a personal level, but they have entertained us and touched our hearts in other ways. Why not pay our respects if we do not know them personally, what harm can it do.

Why do people display such grief over celebrities that they have never met, like Bowie?

People who are fans of celebrities feel they know them through their music or films, and it hurts when we lose them, it is that simple.

People who are fans of celebrities feel they know them through their music or films, and it hurts when we lose them, it is that simple.

I also think that when they play the deceaseds music, one realises how talented that person was, compared to some of the trash one hears today !

I broadly agree with what people have put on here, and I wouldn't characterise the grief expressed at Bowie's passing as an 'outpouring'; just a recognition that someone who had made a big contribution had passed

I did feel very queasy about the reaction to Princess Diana's death though - that to me was an 'outpouring', very mawkish and voyeuristic. Yes she was treated shoddily by the press and, by all accounts, by certain members of the royal family. But the reaction of the public, I thought, was over the top.

But I suppose grief is a very individual thing....

I broadly agree with what people have put on here, and I wouldn't characterise the grief expressed at Bowie's passing as an 'outpouring'; just a recognition that someone who had made a big contribution had passed

I did feel very queasy about the reaction to Princess Diana's death though - that to me was an 'outpouring', very mawkish and voyeuristic. Yes she was treated shoddily by the press and, by all accounts, by certain members of the royal family. But the reaction of the public, I thought, was over the top.

I've never been one for getting all touchy over the death of any celebrity until.............Freddy Mercury passed on. I enjoyed his music and energy, but never saw him live, or paid much attention to anything related to him in the media. Strange really how his death, (even though everyone knew he were dying) stopped me in my tracks and made me think of him for a day, or so.

I went quiet for awhile over the death of Frank Sinatra but he was my favourite singer and " The Governor "

I've never been one for getting all touchy over the death of any celebrity until.............Freddy Mercury passed on. I enjoyed his music and energy, but never saw him live, or paid much attention to anything related to him in the media. Strange really how his death, (even though everyone knew he were dying) stopped me in my tracks and made me think of him for a day, or so.

I have had that feeling several times prior to that, 1959 Buddy Holly plane crash, 1960 Eddie Cochran, car crash,(saw him at the Gaumont a few weeks before).1965 Sam Cooke shot dead. Then the biggest of all for me 1977 Elvis, heart attack, then1980 John Lennon murdered. These are just what affected me personally, of course there have been many more since.

I agree with what you're saying about Diana, it's strange how it affected some people. The year after, we were on holiday and having a drink with the couple in the next apartment, she was telling us how much she needed a holiday because the year before she'd lost her job then 'Diana had died' I just said something like 'why, did you know her?' She hardly spoke to me after that.

especially musicians, its to do with how they affected your life on a personal and emotional level, taking you through life, important parts of your life, the ups, the down

Well, turn that on it's head, and it's like saying why even bother liking celebrities, music stars, whoever. We don't stop liking them just cos we don't know them personally.Have you never been to a gig and felt the sheer joy of being with a band or singer that you absolutely adore or who moves you from laughter to tears and back again ? Someone who has provided the musical score for the film that is your life ? I feel very sorry for anyone who doesn't 'Get it'