Does anyone have experience of running a cafe?

Now this is better thinking.

Woodseats has had a massive boom since that call centre opened up. The centre is at the end closest to the Big Tree. Tesco's is at the other end. At lunch time all these trendy young people are after their lunch, and they won't walk all the way to Tesco as there's sandwhich shops inbetween.

The only down side is that this shop is half way along Woodseats, there's a couple before them. The shop in the best position is Beres Pork Sandwhich shop - first out of the call centre.

I surprised as to why 'Joint' is being sold. Like Indizine says you would have to go to the area and record how many people use the shop at each time. And with call centres don't forget people have funny shift patterns - someone could want food at 12pm, 3pm, 5pm etc.

What if the call centre closes down? :o

good point, don't put your eggs in one basket.

What if the call centre closes down? :o

Quite possible. But the street is a large shopping parade, many people work in those shops 9-5 and go out for their lunch. But potential sites that serve many businesses command the highest rents. Business is a risk and sandwhich shops are always high risk. It is so easy to set one up that even if you are successful someone else will come along to steal your thunder.

You need to hunt for somewhere that has a large number of workers but little choice for lunch.

Don't even think about it if you're not going to work in the shop.Staff will always let you down in this industry and cover will always be required.I would advise you to go and get a job in a busy cafe to see if you like it before investing any money.

The shop you're talking about is in a very poor position with hardly any footfall. I don't want to put you off but its better to be realistic.If you want to make it work forget about employing managers,get your sleeves rolled up,work hard and get a reputation for good food served quickly with good polite staff.

I've always fancied doing this but never had the bottle. I love cooking and experimenting with food.

I would say go for it. You'll regret the things you haven't done more than the things you have done.

Just because there is another three or so on that road doesn't mean that they're good. Offer something different, fresh produce at value for money prices and people will keep coming back for more.

Good luck.

Hi Keith

I bought and ran a sandwich shop / cafe a couple of years ago. It was in a reasonable location with a building site opposite. Please think very seriously about it!!!

I ran it along with 2 staff (1 reliable and the other robbed me blind!!!!)

My working day was around 12 hours 6 days a week, due to opening at 6.00am to feed the brickies their breakfast and to catch passing trade for early sarnies. Closing at 2pm but by the time you have cleaned everything down, prepared for the next day and done any cash and carry runs you dont have much time for yourself and being a woman had to start on household tasks when I finally got home. Needless to say after a couple of years of this I was on complete burn out and had to sell the shop for health reasons. I never made a fortune just a very ordinary wage for a whole lot of trouble, worry and complete exhaustion. Even if you install a manager you will have to trust them 100% because as the saying go's "where theres cash theres thieves" and you wont be there to see exactly whats happening.

Best wishes

Jez