Wedge Resection (Toe)

Has anyone had the above operation and if so, can you tell me a bit about it, mainly how long recovery time is.

I am absolutely dreading it. Suppose to be going away a week after this operation. Will I be able to? Is it a small operation or something a bit more than that.

Any comments would be appreciated

Thankyou

I had this done a few years ago. The worst part of the entire thing was the local anaesthetic injection. After that was done there was no pain either during or after the procedure. I actually went to Silverstone for a motor racing event a few days later and it was fine.

Make sure you do exactly as they advise you and have a pair of shoes ready with plenty of space to accommodate the dressing....I wore crocs....oh and enjoy your holiday.

I had this done a few years ago. The worst part of the entire thing was the local anaesthetic injection. After that was done there was no pain either during or after the procedure. I actually went to Silverstone for a motor racing event a few days later and it was fine.

Make sure you do exactly as they advise you and have a pair of shoes ready with plenty of space to accommodate the dressing....I wore crocs....oh and enjoy your holiday.

What about driving etc. I've been told that it's about 2-3 weeks before driving.

I would check with the people doing your surgery but when I had mine done I was told no driving etc for 48 hours

A close relative had this op done recently. He said the worst part was the local injection. He was told to rest with his leg elevated for 2 days and not to travel on public transport because of the risk of having his toe trod on .

The main risk post op is infection because of the location of the wound although he had an infusion of antibiotics put into the wound post op.

Two weeks on all is well and he has had no problems - far less painful than the infections he kept getting before the op anyway.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

PS, Ignore the nitwit commentary.

Edited by petemcewan

Hope this helps. Good luck.

PS, Ignore the nitwit commentary.

Thankyou for that. At least it made me laugh. It's the needles I'm dreading the most!!