Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

Thanks, I will be first as I was in the wrong place at the southern end of the viaduct. Yes it is 50/50.

---------- Post added 17-05-2017 at 23:12 ----------

If the black car was on the roundabout surely the white car should have given way?

Thanks, I will be first as I was in the wrong place at the southern end of the viaduct. Yes it is 50/50.

Oooooh, that 50/50 comment could start another debate :hihi: (but we are at the southern end of the viaduct)

Blame is one thing, but how the insurance companies proportion blame for a pay out is another thing completely.

Also - got to love the sensationalism!

"This is the dramatic moment two cars collided in a road smash on Sheffield's Tinsley Viaduct."

Hardly!

Probably should have read.

This is the mundane moment two cars gently came together in a minor road traffic accident on Sheffield's Tinsley Viaduct.

Still, kept us entertained this evening didn't it!

It certainly did. I bet there were some strong words exchanged to each other at the accident, each blaming the other.

The lane markings that are actually on the roundabout should be improved to make it clearer, remove ambiguity and to keep everyone in their lanes.

It certainly did. I bet there were some strong words exchanged to each other at the accident, each blaming the other.

The lane markings that are actually on the roundabout should be improved to make it clearer, remove ambiguity and to keep everyone in their lanes.

Agreed! And on that...to bed!

Guest busdriver1

To be fair, the white car should not really be in the left lane to exit from the second exit no matter what the lane markings say. Basic common sense.

To be fair, the white car should not really be in the left lane to exit from the second exit no matter what the lane markings say. Basic common sense.

Mmmmm, personally i'd always go with the lane markings. But then I don't rule the road with a bus :hihi: (only joking)

I quoted this when reading as it is the right answer.

but now seen there are 3 pages of responses, and too late now to read them all. I didn't expect a response let alone 3 pages :hihi:

-

What I will say though is that I've brought this junction up before in here. It's badly marked out, and I recall that I said that the road marking are useless when in traffic, and even as a Sheffielder this roundabout isn't clear, so out of towners going to M'Hall have no chance really. I suggested overhead gantries, and if my memory serves me right a planner told me that they are an eyesore (or legal words to that effect)

The black car is at fault.

The white car was in the correct lane for either turning left under the viaduct to M1(N), or to go straight ahead to Rotherham, which it did. Look at the lane markings on the approach to the roundabout, it says M1(N) & Rotherham, so the white car is perfectly in its right to go straight ahead.

The black car was in the lane for turning right onto the M1(S) (and possibly Bawtry Rd?). But he decided to turn left instead. On the approach to the roundabout the lane markings clearly say M1(S). But the lane separation markings on the roundabout don't help, once on the roundabout where the black car is it seems as if your able to turn left, but you can't.

I often take the same route as the white car, driving in the left lane to go straight on at the roundabout, but when doing so it doesn't feel quite right, it feels as if the cars in lane 2 will turn left (as the black car did) and into your path. I always take that junction with caution. I know I'm in the right to go straight ahead, but I also know that motorists like Easy livin in lane 2 think they can turn left, but they can't.

And here is the basis of my point WP.

Common sense isn't always prevalent in drivers, but people who are on the road for their job MAY have a bit more idea of road layouts and junctions than occasional drivers/ 9-5 office workers.

The fact that this is even a "debate" shows the low standard of basic roadcraft.

but now seen there are 3 pages of responses, and too late now to read them all. I didn't expect a response let alone 3 pages :hihi:

I forgot I put a poll in it :hihi: I've just looked and 60% think the white car was at fault!

WTF?!

This is almost the same as the taxi forum percentage of responses.

-

I think I'm going to have to look at this again. If the majority on both forums say the white car is at fault, then I'm starting to think I might be wrong :|