Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

Cyclone. The white car does not decide to go 'right'. He wants to go straight on towards Meadowhall Shopping Centre. He takes a correct lane on approach and maintains it within the roundabout to go straight on. He does nothing wrong. And he goes through on a GREEN light - see the footage. What was the black car doing?

Cyclone. The white car does not decide to go 'right'. He wants to go straight on towards Meadowhall Shopping Centre. He takes a correct lane on approach and maintains it within the roundabout to go straight on. He does nothing wrong. And he goes through on a GREEN light - see the footage. What was the black car doing?

They are heading away from Meadowhall. White car is heading to Rotherham in the correct lane. Black car is in the lane to go on Bawtry Rd or M1S but decides to try to go towards M1N on viaduct in wrong lane.

Both cars are in lanes to go left at this junction

No they are not. Only the white car is in the correct lane to go left, but he can also go straight on as well.

Black car is in the lane for M1(S) which is a right turn 4th exit of the roundabout, or to go to Bawtry which is the 3rd exit.The black car has no right to go left under the viaduct, unless checking its clear and changing lanes, which he didn't do.

---------- Post added 17-05-2017 at 20:18 ----------

Warpig, I mean Meadowhall shopping centre.

But they are not going towards Meadowhall shopping centre, they are going away from it. Meadowhall is behind them.

The road markings are totally inappropriate for the layout of the junction - the l/h lane needs to left turn M1N only - otherwise you have 3 lanes on the approach that are straight on (Bawtry) or right (M1S) - going down to two on the roundabout

It looks like there are two lanes going off to the left, it appears that the white car is in the left hand lane and by the lane markings, the black car could go left or carry on round the roundabout from the lane it's in.

The white car did the classic "indicate just as I'm changing lanes" and went across the lane marking (with the black car probably in his blind spot).

Or that's how it appears to me from that short clip...

No they are not. Only the white car is in the correct lane to go left, but he can also go straight on as well.

Yes, see my edit that I posted before you replied.

---------- Post added 17-05-2017 at 20:20 ----------

Yes, see my edit that I posted long before you replied... :roll:

It looks like there are two lanes going off to the left

Once the black car is on the roundabout then the lane separation markings do suggest that he can go left under the viaduct. But if he had paid attention to the lane markings on his approach to the roundabout he would know that he can't turn left at all.

The white car did the classic "indicate just as I'm changing lanes" and went across the lane marking

No, the white car didn't change lanes at all, he was in the correct lane for going straight on.

Again it is worrying that half of the voters on this thread think the white car was at fault????

There are lots of roundabouts that have inadequate lane markings once you are on the roundabout, that contradict the signage on the road on the approach. The old BnQ roundabout in Rotherham is oe example, and so is Park Sq roundabout when joining from Victoria Quays.

Edited by WarPig

White car in left only lane black car in straight on are left white car was wanting to be in straight on lane and cut the black car up happened to me there a few times and had to hit brakes

White car in left only lane black car in straight on are left white car was wanting to be in straight on lane and cut the black car up happened to me there a few times and had to hit brakes

White car wasn't in left only lane, he was in the correct lane for going either left or straight on. Black cars lane wasn't for turning left, it was for turning right to taking 3rd exit onto Bawtry Rd. Black car cut up the white car by turning left when he was in the wrong lane to turn left.

Why can't people understand this. Its all very very simple:huh:

Thirteen people so far thing the white car was in the wrong, compared to nine thinking the black car was in the wrong. I just hope I'm never sharing the road with those thirteen!

Edited by WarPig

White car wasn't in left only lane, he was in the correct lane for going either left or straight on. Black cars lane wasn't for turning left, it was for turning right to taking 3rd exit onto Bawtry Rd. Black car cut up the white car by turning left when he was in the wrong lane to turn left.

Why can't people understand this. Its all very very simple:huh:

Thirteen people so far thing the white car was in the wrong, compared to nine thinking the black car was in the wrong. I just hope I'm never sharing the road with those thirteen!

Totally wrong.

The white car can either turn first left or second left (which is classed as straight on according to the road markings. From the centre lane the black car can go second left as he tried to do or straight on. Just look at the lane markings the white car hops into the Black car's lane. White totally at fault.

I did post the above...however on another viewing, the centre lane is marked M1 S.

I believe that the White car is entitled to use the lane to go on to Rotherham. However, as someone who uses that roundabout daily, if you try the white car route at rush hour you'll hit something 9 times out of ten. The roundabout is at fault!

The black car from the lane markings actually on the roundabout could easily assume they can turn left from there.

Edited by TheNugget

Totally wrong.

The white car can either turn first left or second left (which is classed as straight on according to the road markings. From the centre lane the black car can go second left as he tried to do or straight on. Just look at the lane markings the white car hops into the Black car's lane. White totally at fault.

White car did not change lanes. Black car tried to take first exit but was not entitled to do so.

Just seen your edit Nugget. Agreed- roundabout at fault.

Edited by Herbaliser

I have not voted, Because i dont no where these cars have come from, if the white car has come from shepcote lane or before, it is in the wrong lane, but the black car is at fault for not looking where he/she was going.