Lightwood lane..

hi i am wanting to fing the full history of lihgtwood land and the valley but i have googled but no luck in finding any thing. could some one please help me please

When I was a boy, in the fifties, I believe we used to push my nan down there in her wheelchair. My uncles pointed out structures in the field, they said they were where the wartime balloons were anchored and there were may have been gun emplacements.

When I was a boy, in the fifties, I believe we used to push my nan down there in her wheelchair. My uncles pointed out structures in the field, they said they were where the wartime balloons were anchored and there were may have been gun emplacements.

They did use the land to the left of Lightwood Land for barage balloons, among many other uses.The anchor rings are still there on the ground to see.

Edited by WarPig

Two things I remember about Lightwood Lane. In the fifties my grandad took me down there to see a Spitfire which was parked at the gates to RAF Norton and in the seventies I was walking with friends to Troway and was very surprised to see a steam engine stood outside a house on the right hand side going down. Other than that the cupboard is bare.

Two things I remember about Lightwood Lane. In the fifties my grandad took me down there to see a Spitfire which was parked at the gates to RAF Norton and in the seventies I was walking with friends to Troway and was very surprised to see a steam engine stood outside a house on the right hand side going down. Other than that the cupboard is bare.

I remember being taken down Lightwood Lane to see the steam loco back in the 1970s and it was mentioned on Sheffield History some time ago, although no-one on there seems to have ever seen it.

It was Brown Bayley's No 4 and ended up at the Midland Railway Centre

My mate told me a story about once he was having a romantic liason whilst parked up down lighwood lane, And a spooky figure floated over his car

i think the best place to find the most informative information is, go down L.L and ask the farmers.

Loads of romantic liasons down there in the 90's notoriously well known for dogging lol no I havent before anybody asks :hihi:

When I saw this thread my first thought about Lightwood Lane was that how difficult it was to get a parking space on there on a Friday night in the 70's.

A pal of mine got his Cortina 1600e [his pride and joy] stuck in mud there. The young lady got out in disgust and he apparently never saw her again.

We got him out the next morning.

Happy days

I have an ancestor who was born in 1617 and according to his baptism record at St James,

Norton, the family were of 'Lightwood Lane'.

i worked on the farm at the very end of Lightwood Lane in the 60s. where i worked for a Mr Jimmy Rhodes, also did work for Gordon Thompson down at Povey who was related to Jimmy. The farm on the left just before the end of the lane was run by two brothers Bert and Bob Morton.