Your message here

What would make Sheffield Forum nicer?

Home > General > Forum News & Feedback

Reply To Topic

30-04-2017, 13:55   #41
cressida
Princess Cool

Total Posts: 22,104
Well they do say no-one is perfect, but just after lunch really!
_______
'The more you ignore me the closer I get' Morrissey

Alphabetti Spaghetti
30-04-2017, 17:36   #42
AmberLeaf

Total Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey finn View Post
I have just been on and posted this selfie, I don't really know why because I don't need to show off my appearance either.
Ewe. Scary!
30-04-2017, 18:56   #43
mickey finn

Total Posts: 1,767
03-05-2017, 06:34   #44
AmberLeaf

Total Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey finn View Post
You could ask him for a hug and sloppy kiss. On second thoughts, probably not such a good idea, as he might lamp you one.

What would make Sheffield Forum nicer?
More nicer people, less haters.
08-05-2017, 17:33   #45
glennpickard

Total Posts: 391
Crookespire make a good point. These are not a life or death issues we are dealing with. I see the Forum as a place to provide opinions on various issues. The ones I really like are ideas, suggestions etc on how to move the city of Sheffield forward and improve life generally for its citizens.

Differing opinions on people, history or past events always make for lively debate.

Can we make it nicer ? Yes we can, with the usual English custom of good manners, being reasonable and open minded. Keep in mind, someone will always be swimming upstream, or have an axe to grind.

Don't put people down if they are not as up to date with issues as others may be, or simply if they disagree with the majority. Give 'em the facts as you see them !

The cynics always appear regardless of the venue, but they are in the minority, and the majority just have to try to ignore any caustic comments
10-05-2017, 20:15   #46
Alan Hartley

Total Posts: 3,159
I wish mods wouldn't close threads or be really strict on discussions going off-topic. Its normal for discussions to expand.
_______
Joan was quizzical.....
10-05-2017, 21:30   #47
glennpickard

Alan:

no objection to expanding the subject, but if it is a change of subject might be best to open up a new thread ? I know it can be confusing sometimes.
11-05-2017, 07:20   #48
RollingJ

Total Posts: 497
Half-joking, but give 90% of the posters on here a dose of anti-depressants - I have stopped coming here more than once a week and skimming the thread titles, to preserve my sanity.
15-05-2017, 18:03   #49
little miffy

Total Posts: 129
I've very rarely put anything on here tho I do read things most days. I've been put off contributing to a few discussions as some people insist on you backing up any opinion or story with links and evidence. I don't have links or evidence! I wouldn't know how to attach them if I did.
15-05-2017, 18:32   #50
glennpickard

little miffy:

don't be shy, say what you want to say. There are no experts on the Sheffield Forum, we are all the same as you, people with an opinion or an idea. Its important you do contribute so people understand the value of this Forum.

If you want to quote make sure you have the correct quote. If you are quoting a website or news organization with information, you can outline the applicable name you have got the figures from.
People can "Insist" on whatever they want to, but you are in the driving seat with your post. Your opinion is what counts.
15-05-2017, 19:29   #51
little miffy

Total Posts: 129
Thanks for your reply, I shall try and be more active on here! I'm clueless on most computer things, making attachments and such is a mystery to me. P.s I'm 'only' 44 not 96 even tho I may sound it! It's just never really been my kind of thing
15-05-2017, 21:59   #52
glennpickard

a life around computers does take some getting used to. But I do believe nothing comes into the Forum with an attachment, so it is usually straightforward emails !
Don't worry fire away !
18-05-2017, 22:40   #53
Waldo

Total Posts: 5,154
Something that would be actually really useful would be a way to search threads and only show posts that have responded to posts you made on that thread (i.e. posts that quote you). Would stop you from having to scan through entire threads just to spot where people have responded to you.
25-05-2017, 19:07   #54
crookedspire

Total Posts: 1,377
I read the online version of ' Derbyshire Times' it reported that Chesterfield Forum is to close the owner states that other social platforms have taken over and forum based sites are not popular anymore. IV noticed myself this forum is slowly losing members I have no idea how this could be changed too get people back interested in this forum I think it's like swimming against the tide.
01-06-2017, 22:33   #55
ANGELFIRE1

Total Posts: 4,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
and?

i imagine a lot, since theres a couple of hundred thousand users almost, its far larger than a lot of other forums.

dunno about the software behind the scenes but im moderator on a punk forum and when somebody gets banned you can email them but its still manually done, written etc, even if sent from the forums software.

why should they, most forums you dont get told why, they just vanish. SF isnt special.

At the end of the day on here and others ive had post deleted for both being norty and unknown reasons, ive also had my fair share of bans, its forum life, stop moaning and move on.
Lifes too short to worry about why a post got deleted, if it takes you 25 minutes to write one...write a shorter one

While there might be close to a couple of hundred thousand registered members, I bet you ten bob there will be no more than a couple of hundred who participate on a regular basis.

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
02-06-2017, 17:35   #56
zach

Total Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedspire View Post
I read the online version of ' Derbyshire Times' it reported that Chesterfield Forum is to close the owner states that other social platforms have taken over and forum based sites are not popular anymore. IV noticed myself this forum is slowly losing members I have no idea how this could be changed too get people back interested in this forum I think it's like swimming against the tide.
Very true but over the years I've seen the same thing happen to many forums. I would imagine that a large percentage of users, use mobile... no mobile version.

Some of the moderators may come across as over protective. It's not a job I would want as no matter what, you'll be wrong in some people eyes.

SF does remind me a bit of a Sheffield Working Mens Club. It sticks to the methods and ways that worked years ago and think they will still work today. Unfortunately (In some cases) we need to lighten up, get with the times and move forward.

FYI, I'm 53 so not in the "pup" category any more

Last edited by zach; 02-06-2017 at 17:37.
02-06-2017, 22:18   #57
Manlinose

Total Posts: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post

SF does remind me a bit of a Sheffield Working Mens Club. It sticks to the methods and ways that worked years ago and think they will still work today. Unfortunately (In some cases) we need to lighten up, get with the times and move forward.

FYI, I'm 53 so not in the "pup" category any more
The problem is that you can't please all the people all the time. All clubs have to have rules & most well run clubs enforce the rules, and the members have to accept them irrespective of whether or not they agree with them.

If you don't like the rules, don't join the club (the "you" in that sentence is not aimed at anyone in particular) - this is not a democracy, you don't get a say in how it is run.

& to little Miffy - post whatever you want/believe & don't worry or care about the responses - your opinion is as valid as anyone else's (& probably more valid than some of the tripe you see on some of the threads)
_______
a man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams - so don't die wondering
02-06-2017, 22:52   #58
croat77

Total Posts: 352
Even I know that concept of internet forum is dying because
of social media networks, I still stick to the couple of forums including this one. The main reason is that I can't stand Facebook, Twitter and level of "communication" there. But I am almost 40 and from I can see, majority of people left on this forum is well in their 30 s and up.
Others (probably younger) gone to social media.

And, no, it won't be any renesanse of internet forums, this one or the others. You just can't​ attract new people to, unfortunately, dying concept as much as I or anyone else would love to.
_______
PSN: Ivan1977UK

Last edited by croat77; 02-06-2017 at 22:55.
03-06-2017, 16:03   #59
crookedspire

Total Posts: 1,377
Notice my chill out thread gone IV given this forum much but yet damed ok please delete all my threads or I will take it further your choice.
03-06-2017, 16:17   #60
Groose
Geek Girl

Total Posts: 11,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedspire View Post
Notice my chill out thread gone IV given this forum much but yet damed ok please delete all my threads or I will take it further your choice.
https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/sho....php?t=1512805
It's right there. Hasn't been deleted.
Reply To Topic