Driver's License confiscation

I let my friend borrow my ID on friday night to go out in sheffield, he is underage (17) and while trying to get into a club he got it confiscated off him, the license has been handed over to the police licensing department at Sheffield. I rang them up and they said if I go in to collect it, I will need to prove on CCTV from the club that it was me using the ID. Obviously I won't appear on the CCTV, is it worth trying to obtain the ID back and how much trouble would I get in if I just admitted to letting my friend borrow it, would it just be a slap on the wrist and a verbal warning? Or would they take it further, has anyone got any past experiences?

I hope they take it off you and make you sit both your theory and practical tests again.

Well, if the police take the whole thing seriously then both you and your friend are going to end up in court, because it's fraud to use false ID to prove identity and you are an accessory to that if you knew that he was using the ID.

Personally I'd go down to the police station with your friend, with full photographic ID to prove that it really is your licence, apologise profusely and throw yourselves on their mercy. They may just be lenient if you catch them on a good day, but if you don't do anything then it's likely that they will report what you've done to the DVLA so when you try to apply for another copy of your licence you'll have questions to answer from them too.

I hope they take it off you and make you sit both your theory and practical tests again.

However inconvenient it may be for the OP I agree. You should have had more sense that to lend your ID to a friend.

Ouch...that's a bit harsh! :suspect: But of course I'm sure you didn't drink or do anything underage when you were a lad!

I let my friend borrow my ID on friday night to go out in sheffield, he is underage (17) and while trying to get into a club he got it confiscated off him, the license has been handed over to the police licensing department at Sheffield. I rang them up and they said if I go in to collect it, I will need to prove on CCTV from the club that it was me using the ID. Obviously I won't appear on the CCTV, is it worth trying to obtain the ID back and how much trouble would I get in if I just admitted to letting my friend borrow it, would it just be a slap on the wrist and a verbal warning? Or would they take it further, has anyone got any past experiences?

Go in with other supporting identification and state it was taken off you, when they ask for cctv tell them the club wont give it to you due to the data protection act.

Well, if the police take the whole thing seriously then both you and your friend are going to end up in court, because it's fraud to use false ID to prove identity and you are an accessory to that if you knew that he was using the ID.

Personally I'd go down to the police station with your friend, with full photographic ID to prove that it really is your licence, apologise profusely and throw yourselves on their mercy. They may just be lenient if you catch them on a good day, but if you don't do anything then it's likely that they will report what you've done to the DVLA so when you try to apply for another copy of your licence you'll have questions to answer from them too.

That's probably the best idea, and hopefully they wouldn't take it any further, seeing as its a very minor fraud offence, thanks

We probably all did silly things when underage but this is an adult who lent ID to a minor. It could be seen as contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

BTW- there is a specific offence under the Identity Cards Act 2006 which covers this (section 25).

The person lending the card is guilty of procuring the fraud and the person borrowing the card is guilty of the identity fraud itself.

Presumably you didn't also procure the offence of selling alcohol to a minor because he was refused when the driving licence was picked up? You could have been in a whole load more hot water if he was picked up after several drinks.

Go in with other supporting identification and state it was taken off you, when they ask for cctv tell them the club wont give it to you due to the data protection act.

So you're advising "when in a hole, carry on digging". Never a good idea.

medusa has given the best answer.

Hey you was just helping a friend to have a good night out, you both wasn't try to rob / cheat anyone. Lads will be lads, a silly move, but thats how we learn. I have done many silly things as a teen, myself.

Look your damned if don't deal with this and your damned if you do. If you don't deal with this someone will connect you regarding this ID as it obviously contains your details. You cannot say it was stolen, or your friend gets done for theif. So you may as well go and confess, the police and the courts know we all make mistakes / mis-judgements, I'm not saying you won't get done for this if come clean, but the judgement will be much lighter if come clean.

You've simply had a growing-up lesson, with complications.

Good luck.

Edited by best sheff
wanted too

BTW- there is a specific offence under the Identity Cards Act 2006 which covers this (section 25).

The person lending the card is guilty of procuring the fraud and the person borrowing the card is guilty of the identity fraud itself.

Presumably you didn't also procure the offence of selling alcohol to a minor because he was refused when the driving licence was picked up? You could have been in a whole load more hot water if he was picked up after several drinks.

So if I did choose to go in with my friend, we would be liable to being prosecuted for fraud under this act, I doubt they'd drop these charges and they would probably prosecute, and no I didn't also purchase any alcohol for him fortunately, so if you were in my position, would you go into the police station like you recommended? Thanks for the help