Re-Registering for Job Seekers Allowance

Hello,

Can someone please tell me how long before its possible for someone to sign on for JSA after signing off for reasons other than finding employment? For example, I think if someone misses to sign on two consecutive occassions they are automatically struck off. How long before someone can sign back on for JSA?

Cheers

If you got a job and then lost it straight away due to lack of work (agency for example), then you would be eligible to sign on, and in such circumstances you would be expected to ring 0800 0 55 66 88 and make a new claim. In certain circumstances you would do a rapid reclaim.

Hello,

Can someone please tell me how long before its possible for someone to sign on for JSA after signing off for reasons other than finding employment? For example, I think if someone misses to sign on two consecutive occassions they are automatically struck off. How long before someone can sign back on for JSA?

Cheers

If you missed a signing you may have been sanctioned so depends how long they did it for - you should have received a letter explaining.

If you found work or just signed off you should go to direct.gov sight and make a claim, if it is a rapid you will claim from that day.

Hi Thanks for responding. I stopped signing because I wanted to start my own business and to be eligible for JSA I would need to dedicate at least 16 hours towards seeking employment, and I simply needed the time to do more research in the business. Its been four weeks since I stopped signing on. Now I realise that signing off (by simply not turning up at the career centre to sign on) was probably not a wise move.

I will sign back on this week. I was wondering if I would have to wait a certain period of time before I could start recieving benefits again?

Cheers

If you ask them I think they should be able to help you with starting a business.

chem1ast,

Thanks for responding. However, would you happen to know what the situation would be should I decide not follow through with the business but re-claim JSA while looking for a job?

Cheers

chem1ast,

Thanks for responding. However, would you happen to know what the situation would be should I decide not follow through with the business but re-claim JSA while looking for a job?

Cheers

If I were you I'd keep signing on until you can pay yourself a wage. You can get business advice off them but only after 6 months. They may not have closed down your old claim yet. If I were you I'd contact them asap and ask what the situation is. If it's closed make a new claim straight away.

If the claim is closed. If I make a new claim will I need to wait 26 weeks before I receive any benefits. Its been over four weeks since I stopped claiming.

Cheers

If the claim is closed. If I make a new claim will I need to wait 26 weeks before I receive any benefits. Its been over four weeks since I stopped claiming.

Cheers

No. Just tell them you signed off too early. You might be able to re-open the old claim. I know someone who signed off for a job that didn't pay him and he had to sign back on after 5 weeks. To be honest I'd just contact them and ask instead of posting on here. The DWP are the only people who can give you an answer.

LeMaquis,

Thanks again for responding. As I mentioned, I stopped signing because I was attempting to start a business and at that time I was on the governments 'Work Programme'. If the DWP re-open my old claim will I have re-join the work programme? If the DWP decide not to re-open the old claim but instead decide that I have to start a new claim will I still need to re-join the 'Work Programme'?

Cheers

LeMaquis,

Thanks again for responding. As I mentioned, I stopped signing because I was attempting to start a business and at that time I was on the governments 'Work Programme'. If the DWP re-open my old claim will I have re-join the work programme? If the DWP decide not to re-open the old claim but instead decide that I have to start a new claim will I still need to re-join the 'Work Programme'?

Cheers

I have no idea. If it's a new claim you may be back to square one. Or not. All I can say is contact them and see what they say. It's best to get the ball rolling and appeal if you don't like the decision than wait. See if you can get some business advice off them or contact http://www.senta.co.uk/ (the website is under construction but it's got contact details). But stay signing on till you can pay yourself a wage. You can tell them what you're doing to set up a business. They'll not mind.

Make your claim here as soon as possible, or phone DWP if you don't fancy claiming online.

The biggest mistake people can make when it comes to benefits is asking for advice from their mates, people down the pub, or members of an online forum. They aren't the experts (apologies to anyone who has advised in this thread - I'm not having a go at you personally); you need to contact DWP asap.