Are old people bleeding the country dry?

Many old people, even those who have rarely worked are entitled to full sate pension £137.35 per week, plus £250.00 every winter and £10 for every day it is below freezing, along with priority for social housing, full housing benefit for any almost size property, and many other benefits such as free travel, lunch clubs, free prescriptions, priority dental care, TV License and so on...

Yet the average young person is demonized as a no good scrounger, now if they're unfortunate to be unemployed they only receive a fraction of what an old person in same circumstances does, £46.85 per week, no HB unless it's in a shared house which are rarely even suitable for one human, no help with energy costs, no free travel, no free lunch clubs, TV license, prescriptions etc.

now before you start ranting, I'm not saying old people do not deserve this level of income and support, but compared to other age groups and immigrants they do use a lot of resources and receive a very good standard of living.

Many old people, even those who have rarely worked are entitled to full sate pension £137.35 per week, plus £250.00 every winter and £10 for every day it is below freezing, along with priority for social housing, full housing benefit for any almost size property, and many other benefits such as free travel, lunch clubs, free prescriptions, priority dental care, TV License and so on...

Yet the average young person is demonized as a no good scrounger, now if they're unfortunate to be unemployed they only receive a fraction of what an old person in same circumstances does, £46.85 per week, no HB unless it's in a shared house which are rarely even suitable for one human, no help with energy costs, no free travel, no free lunch clubs, TV license, prescriptions etc.

now before you start ranting, I'm not saying old people do not deserve this level of income and support, but compared to other age groups and immigrants they do use a lot of resources and receive a very good standard of living.

I agree with all this, but say anything against the elderly and you are accused of being disrespectful. I wish I had half the money of what some elderly people get on benefits... also the elderly in Sheffield Town Centre seem to have no respect for people with prams... lost count of how many doors I have held open with a pram in one hand and had no thanks... but that's a different thread.

Maybe we should have a cut off point, a bit like Logans Run.

The old (Most of|) have pretty much worked for what they get. I think we should look after them in their later years.

I agree with all this, but say anything against the elderly and you are accused of being disrespectful. I wish I had half the money of what some elderly people get on benefits... also the elderly in Sheffield Town Centre seem to have no respect for people with prams... lost count of how many doors I have held open with a pram in one hand and had no thanks... but that's a different thread.

Nothing stopping you from going out and getting it I imagine. You have one thing that most old people don't have. Time to get your act together.

Many old people recieve extra money, (e.g. the Winter Fuel Allowance) as they would be at risk of hypothermia if they didn't. What your post fails to comment on is that there is a poor take up of these benefits as many people entitled to them feel stigmatised.

Also many have worked for many years for that pension & didn't have access to a company scheme. But yes the average young unemployed person is often demonised as a 'no good scrounger'.

Unfortunately there are those that like to do their masters bidding by seeking to divide between 'ordinary people', 'middle class liberals' and 'poor white trash' - I'm sure you know what I'm talking about

The old (Most of|) have pretty much worked for what they get. I think we should look after them in their later years.

Nothing stopping you from going out and getting it I imagine. You have one thing that most old people don't have. Time to get your act together.

You've just proved her point, respect cuts both ways and whilst most old people are good people, they should realise how fortunate they're compared to most.

Younger people are able to go out and work for their money................

They should take us out and shoot us once we can't take care of ourselves. The minute you get into such a state that you don't even know who you are, let alone anyone else ... that should be it. Goodnight, Vienna!

You've just proved her point, respect cuts both ways and whilst most old people are fine, they should realise how fortunate they're compared to most.

You're assuming it's old people that don't respect the young scroungers. I don't think it is. I think it's every hard working person that sees a young, healthy person who thinks benefits are their income for life who looks down at them.

I never said we shouldn't but not all old people have put into the pot but they are allowed to take out.

No there isn't but I need to find a job, keep looking but it is so hard when you don't even get an interview :|.

You've just proved her point, respect cuts both ways and whilst most old people are good people, they should realise how fortunate they're compared to most.

Young people are just that. Why should anyone give them time if they can't be arsed to go out and work. They're not old, they're not frail, they haven't paid into the system and haven't likely bred other tax payers into the system. So why should anyone sympathise with a young person who is perfectly able?

What about all the older people who have worked for 40+ years?

Many people of pensionable age cannot work, either through ill health or mandatory retirement, or being unable to find a job.

Many young people, on the other hand, are able to work, but choose not to.