Furniture Dipping

Hi, I have a been given a lovely chest of draws but they are is covered with years and years of paint - can anyone suggest somewhere who still dips furniture etc... and what is the right price etc...

thanks

Shullie

p.s check out the last 'dipping' thread was 2005 !

theres a shop on infirmary road i think they do it

its called pine works or something like that, not sure how much it costs though

thanks, will check it out.

it can make a right bloody mess of the wood though

have you considered grit blasting instead?

On a chest of drawers I would rather DIY it.

It will be worth the time and effort.

Using caustic dip on something like that I would not recommend.

If you want to hand strip, I suggest you use Nitromors.

My ex-wife dealt in furniture and we had a caustic tank at home. (She made a pretty good living out of it.)

Caustic tanks are a very good way of stripping furniture (particularly if the tank isn't too 'fresh' - you don't want to bleach old pine) but there are risks. Few people will give you an absolute guarantee; items do fall apart in the tank.

It's a chance. You can always glue the piece back together if it does fall apart.

NaOH will NOT mess up the wood (unlike grit blasting!). It will kill any boring insects and - provided you wash the wood down afterwards - it will provide protection without damaging the wood.

Your choice. I've no idea what the 'going rate' for a tank strip and wash is, but it's probably not going to be cheap.

Get a quote.

Work out the cost of a DIY Nitromors strip (include your time) then make a choice.

If you want to hand strip, I suggest you use Nitromors.

My ex-wife dealt in furniture and we had a caustic tank at home. (She made a pretty good living out of it.)

Caustic tanks are a very good way of stripping furniture (particularly if the tank isn't too 'fresh' - you don't want to bleach old pine) but there are risks. Few people will give you an absolute guarantee; items do fall apart in the tank.

It's a chance. You can always glue the piece back together if it does fall apart.

NaOH will NOT mess up the wood (unlike grit blasting!). It will kill any boring insects and - provided you wash the wood down afterwards - it will provide protection without damaging the wood.

Your choice. I've no idea what the 'going rate' for a tank strip and wash is, but it's probably not going to be cheap.

Get a quote.

Work out the cost of a DIY Nitromors strip (include your time) then make a choice.

Being an ex furniture restorer I would agree with that on the whole but I would offer an alternative to Nitromors that is not as aggressive on skin should you get splashed. Try Paramose, It does the same job that nitromors does but doesnt sting or stink as much. Also forget using shop bought scrapers as they are useless and will smear the paint/varnish rather than remove it clearly. I would advise going to the pound shop and getting youself a few packs of heavy duty stanley blades, which do a fantastic job. Take all the handles off the drawers and one drawer at a time paint liberally with paramose and leave for 5 mins to eat its way into the paint, then using the edge of a blade flat, push the soft paint away from you. latex gloves are a must. Once you have taken the best part of the paint off, apply another thin coat of paramose and using medium grade wire wool, polish the rest of the paint off down to the natural wood finish, do not sand !! Once you are down to the wood apply a good polish like Briwax with fine grade wire wool and polish. I could strip a 5 high farmhouse pine chest and polish it in about 4 hours. Hope that helps you OP. Stay away from Caustic dipping, it kills your wood and removes any glue used in the joints. Have fun..

you can take some polish to shine this furniture.

What are you talking about? She wants to strip paint off not polish it