Hucklow Road School

anyone attend hucklow road infants school--1954-1960?---theres got to be some of you still on the planet surely!

come on dont be shy!!-there's got to be someone on the forum who attended hucklow road infants between 1954-60!!:thumbsup:

Oh yes!! Would have been there exactly in those years. Started aged 4 as mom was in hospital. I was the very shy one who used to cry all the time. Now Im just old, hard and synical!! Thats life for you. By the way, got a dog called Mikey.

hi coddy,i started aged 4 and i can still remember my first day!---remember playing in the indoor sandpit and on the slide!---my twin brother and twin cousins were there also!--remember kid nicknamed radishes getting told off for chucking sand in a girls face!!---hope its not you:o

mikey:thumbsup:

You're in luck there mikey, no it wasnt me. Dont remember a radishes either. Remember wanting to go on the mobo horse but could never get a look in. Was in the choir when we went up to juniors. Not sure of teachers I had in the infants but later on had Mrs Toes, she was luvly, Mr Sisk and Mrs Shaw.

radishes was the nickname of steven radford!--yeah miss toes was lovely but i thought miss shaw was a right c-w!!---my main teacher was miss barker who wasnt that bad really!---do you remember mr gambolls the headmaster with the two wooden legs?

I left Hucklow Rd., last year for the sunnier climes of Kent. I lived at No.4 in the flat roof semi's, right accross from the playground. The cars at school time were horrendous and how nobody was killed was a miracle.

Yes, I had forgotton about Mr Gambolls with his sticks but I do remember now.

What a blast from the past...........surfing Sheffield related sites and found you guys,,,,,,reads like a script for "Last of the Summer Wine".

My sister (seven years my senior.....probably explains the sand in the face)...had the hots for a kid called Parsnips.......Radford got changed to Radish and I got stuck with it later.

The family was living on Firth Park Crescent in those days........both my parents are gone.....my sister moved to Australia,,,,...I moved first to France and later Los Angeles.

A lot of the teachers names bring back memories,,,,...who ws the music teacher?.....we used to put banana skins and other garbage in the back of his piano......he declared Andrew Civico and myself non singers,,,,he was right.

There was a geography teacher,,,,he chain smoked(we claimed they could retar Barnsley Road with the content of his lungs).....he had cigarette burns on his body from torture in a japanese P.O.W. camp.

Originally posted by mikeyspikey

anyone attend hucklow road infants school--1954-1960?---theres got to be some of you still on the planet surely!

i mikey dont remember you ofhand but went to hucklow up to 1960?then to hinde house .played for rounders team for huck called red devils with mick simkins,paul davis, allan makenna dont remeber much more just yet

Originally posted by mikeyspikey

i mikey must have met you sometime hucklow1957-60,hindehouse60-65,ish name of jim evans nickname mij ofcourse,there was a lad called alan webster ithink went to huck &def went to hindehouse lived on ellerton rd just down from huck next to chipshop,another lad at hindehouse iremember was a tall lad called frost from wincobank i bumped into him june this year at firthpark

I attended then .. and have fond memories of the white haired Miss Toes .. Mr Sisk used to scare the pants off me though! Then there was Mr Howe, Miss CardingWells, and a dreadful school dinner lady whose name I can't remember who force fed me yukky boiled cabbage!

I played vioilin and cello in the school orchestra and almost had someones eye out with my bow on one occasion when we did a concert at the city hall.

Happy days, M