Anybody work at Express Dairy on Broadfield Road in the 60's ?

The Express Dairy terminal which used to be on Broadfield Road was a very busy place in the 1960's.The lorries used were Commer 2 stroke diesels. They would really go, but we hard to stop. They used to go out into Derbyshire and pick up milk from dairy farms. The milke was then bottled in the Broadfield Road Dairy. I worked there from 1960 till 1966. I was wondering if anyone who worked there is on Sheffield Forum. Some names which come to mind : Jim Higgins, Tommy Hancock, Arthur Whitehouse, Jack Birkenshaw, Earnie Payne, Josephine Vincent - Any of you still out there ?

I didn't work there but as a child was always fascinated by the cow in the window. Wonder where it went to ..............

Hey Zilly - I hope it found a good home but I've no idea where it went. Express was an excellent place to work. We woked hard but we had lots of fun. You must have lived nearby to know about the cow in the window.

I also remember the cow but later on im afraid 1970s on. I wonder if the vending machine was outside the front of the dairy in your day? It was great to get an ice cold carton of milk or orange on those hot summer days.

My dad worked for Express at that time, but he was at the old Knowles dairy at Norton.

The Express Dairy terminal which used to be on Broadfield Road was a very busy place in the 1960's.The lorries used were Commer 2 stroke diesels. They would really go, but we hard to stop. They used to go out into Derbyshire and pick up milk from dairy farms. The milke was then bottled in the Broadfield Road Dairy. I worked there from 1960 till 1966. I was wondering if anyone who worked there is on Sheffield Forum. Some names which come to mind : Jim Higgins, Tommy Hancock, Arthur Whitehouse, Jack Birkenshaw, Earnie Payne, Josephine Vincent - Any of you still out there ?

I worked there during the late 50s/ early 60s during my school and university breaks. My aunt and uncle also worked there - Rose & Carl Dougherty. Remember them?

I worked there during the late 50s/ early 60s during my school and university breaks. My aunt and uncle also worked there - Rose & Carl Dougherty. Remember them?

I remember a Neil Dougherty who worked there in the labs. in the 1960's.

Regards,

Duffems

I remember a Neil Dougherty who worked there in the labs. in the 1960's.

Regards,

Duffems

No relation I believe, Duffems. Another two names from Express Dairy have come to mind. Does anyone remember Joe Green and Charlie Bobo? The latter was a nickname of course. But they were real characters.

I also remember the cow but later on im afraid 1970s on. I wonder if the vending machine was outside the front of the dairy in your day? It was great to get an ice cold carton of milk or orange on those hot summer days.

Great forum! I dont imagine Ive seen every one of the angles of this theme the way in which youve pointed them out. Youre a accurate star, a rock star guy. Youve got a great deal to say and know so much about the subject that i think you ought to just teach a class about it.

Great forum! I dont imagine Ive seen every one of the angles of this theme the way in which youve pointed them out. Youre a accurate star, a rock star guy. Youve got a great deal to say and know so much about the subject that i think you ought to just teach a class about it.

Wow! :huh:

No, we didn't live nearby. I used to look forwards to seeing it as it as it was on the 2nd leg of a 2-bus journey with my mum to my aunt's house at Abbeydale. When I saw the cow I knew we were nearly there.

Z

On the vehicle repair front, we, at Sleights Diesel Elec Co, used to overhaul their fuel pumps and injectors. Any of the old mechanics who brought them up to us at Frecheville about ?