Bad experience with Yell.com charging too much

I work for myself as a joiner and was contacted by Yell.com. I told the salesman that money was tight and i could not afford it but the guy said that i could have six weeks free to generate work and if not i could cancel the ad within those six weeks. He also assured me there was no contract and that all i had to do was send him an email to confirm who i am and where i live. After three weeks i had not had any phone calls so i phoned up to cancel. The salesman said to give it another week because it had only just gone live and assured me again that if i don't receive any feedback i could cancel it. I phoned up a week later and was told that i could not cancel it because it had been over twenty eight days and that i was now in a contract with them. I still have had had no work through Yell.com and i have phoned them numerous times to try get my ad canceled. At one point a manager basically said to me better luck next time. If you are thinking about using Yell.com please read this first. They now want over £400 from me for an ad that i was tricked into and that comes up below a lot of free adverts on search engines and also i have not received any work from them.

Assuming there was no signed agreement, and also assuming that the verbal agreement would be in the same recorded phonecall as the false promise from the sales 'wally', I would tell them to sod off, or just ignore them.

I'm not an expert though.

Edited by Idler

When i asked for the recorded phone call he said they don't record all of them. I have sent them a letter and am waiting for there reply then i am going to go to trading standards. Thank you for your advise.

I've heard about a problem like this before with yell but I cant remember where. Anyway if you do a google search you will find you are not alone.

we had a problem with them some time ago , signed up for sheffield paid monthly by direct debit , on checking our bank statement found out we were also listed for chesterfield which we didnt want or signed up for . despite yell's best efforts it took nearly a year to get our money back . avoid

I used to temp at Yell, don't let them get away with it. Did you write to the head office (Reading)?

I've written to them and phoned them loads of times but they insist i entered a contract with them. I can't see how since i was told there was definitely no contract and i've not signed anything. Even if i did enter a contract i should be allowed out of it since they've lied to me about the cancellation date on every occasion i spoke to them, guaranteed work and the fact that i was assured there was no contract. I'm going to take this as far as it needs to go because no company should treat customers like this. I've just posted this here in the hope that i can save people from getting tricked by them like i did. Thank you for all your comments.

I've written to them and phoned them loads of times but they insist i entered a contract with them. I can't see how since i was told there was definitely no contract and i've not signed anything. Even if i did enter a contract i should be allowed out of it since they've lied to me about the cancellation date on every occasion i spoke to them, guaranteed work and the fact that i was assured there was no contract. I'm going to take this as far as it needs to go because no company should treat customers like this. I've just posted this here in the hope that i can save people from getting tricked by them like i did. Thank you for all your comments.

Have you paid anything towards what they say you owe them? If not just ignore them.