Remembering Studio 7 in the Wicker!

When I was at a convent grammar school in Sheffield, a small group of us decided to try to get into Studio 7 cinema in the Wicker. Bearing in mind that we were all in bottle green uniforms and around 15 years old we got in with no trouble! The film was in French and seemed to be a lot of naked writhing about. In fact we understood very little! Has anyone got memories of what was supposed to be such a den of sin'

it was affectionately called the flea pit!!!

Studio 7 was well known for the raincoat flashers,I went only once with my present wife when courting to see Albert Finney in "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" which made an impression on us at the time!.It certainly was a fleapit alright no doubt about it!.

Was it not called Studio 5 6 and 7 or am I confusing it with another cinema.

Only went in once to see Annie Hall, worse film I ever saw

Was it not called Studio 5 6 and 7 or am I confusing it with another cinema.

Only went in once to see Annie Hall, worse film I ever saw

That was in its latter days before it closed I think

When I was at a convent grammar school in Sheffield, a small group of us decided to try to get into Studio 7 cinema in the Wicker. Bearing in mind that we were all in bottle green uniforms and around 15 years old we got in with no trouble! The film was in French and seemed to be a lot of naked writhing about. In fact we understood very little! Has anyone got memories of what was supposed to be such a den of sin'

That French film was perhaps 'Jules et Jim' from 1962.

No, it would be earlier than that. I left school in 1959!!! I don't think the film was what we might call today of artistic merit!

As cinemas lost popularity, they tried various ways and means to attract custom. Studio 7, a bit like the old Empire and Palace Attercliffe, went down the risque route. They showed a lot of "Continental" films - all X, rated, I would see the posters on my way home from school. I should make it clear that I never went to see any such films and never considered doing so.

They did have a great sound system, I remember seeing "The Graduate" there and being so impressed with the music, I went and bought the record. Somehow, it did not sound the same on my 3, watt single speaker Dansette.

Toward the end of it's life, like many other cinemas of the time it was divided into several "mini" studios.

No, it would be earlier than that. I left school in 1959!!! I don't think the film was what we might call today of artistic merit!

I think it was then known as the Wicker,would say it became studio 7 later on.

I went in the cinema officially, after its closure. The downstairs auditorium was flooded, and the two upstairs ones were intact, but rather grubby. The electricity supply was still on, and the three projectors still operated, I tried them out. It was strange to see how one film could be laced through all three projectors, allowing the one film to be shown on all three screens.

Seems to be the way of cinema's they end their days as naughty X rated cinemas or if they are lucky tacky bingo halls.

---------- Post added 10-09-2016 at 18:49 ----------

I went in the cinema officially, after its closure. The downstairs auditorium was flooded, and the two upstairs ones were intact, but rather grubby. The electricity supply was still on, and the three projectors still operated, I tried them out. It was strange to see how one film could be laced through all three projectors, allowing the one film to be shown on all three screens.

Very long shot did you take any photos?