Trust Inheritance cold call

I recently received a call from a company called Trust Inheritance, the caller was a very polite and plausable sort - as they are.

I thought I may take advantage of the offer they had going £69 for their mirror will writing service. Stupidly with out much thought :loopy: I agreed to a return call from one of their advisors as this is something that has been on my mind for a while - an appointment was agreed with some scepticism.

On closer inspection and internet research, my initial fears seem to be confirmed, I then promptly cancelled before taking such a bold financial decision... on a whim!!

My Q is - has anyone had any experience of this or any other similar company or before undertaking a proper fully fledged decision, can anyone offer sound advise???

If nothing else it has brought the subject back to the forefront of my mind.

P.S I am not in a position like probably most (sadly) to attract inheritance tax ... but I would like to think whatever I have left is left in safe hands and to the correct people in my life!!

after many months/years of thinking about this my husband and I had wills written (we had fairly straight forward finances- or lack of!!)

It was all done by post/online- after filling out a questionnaire to establish it was straight forward they then drafted wills, sent them to us we paid and all was sorted. I guess what I am trying to say is it isn't always the hassle you think it will be. We didn't need to take time off work to go to a solicitors and were happy to get the job done at last. Perhaps you could ring/e-mail one of the companies in sheffield and ask if you too could do this.

after many months/years of thinking about this my husband and I had wills written (we had fairly straight forward finances- or lack of!!)

It was all done by post/online- after filling out a questionnaire to establish it was straight forward they then drafted wills, sent them to us we paid and all was sorted. I guess what I am trying to say is it isn't always the hassle you think it will be. We didn't need to take time off work to go to a solicitors and were happy to get the job done at last. Perhaps you could ring/e-mail one of the companies in sheffield and ask if you too could do this.

Can i ask which company you used & how much did it cost, my mother has asked me to look into getting her will sorted, so a good recomendation from someone who has used the company would be great, cheers

One of the regular posters on here writes wills for a living, I believe he advertises as being cheaper than a solicitor, and I think he's definitely <£69 and won't cold call you!

Willman I believe is the user name...

That said, you can write your will on a postit if you like, get it signed by two witnesses and it's just as legal as something written by a solicitor.

In most european countries its illegal to cold call someone at home

Quote "That said, you can write your will on a postit if you like, get it signed by two witnesses and it's just as legal as something written by a solicitor".

Please don't do this as this poster has not made any reference to dating the document, this would then be an invalid Will and the testor would die intestate. As a professional Will writer I see too many self written Wills with the most common of mistakes made like not dating it or signing it correctly. I have even had to deal with people who think they have been gifted a property by a Will like this only to find it wasn't because of how the Will was written, it's very difficult to tell someone they don't actually own what they thought they did.

To the OP, a reputable will writing company would not cold call you, I am working for a large Will Writing organisation at the moment and all of or our associates are associate members of the Institute of Professional Will Writers as part of our compliance we are not allowed to cold call on potential clients. Most of our business is built up from relationships from other financial services and by word of mouth from existing clients, cold calling is not needed.

I would suggest to anyone wishing to have a Will, Lasting Power of Attorney documents or other associated work like protecting your property (or other assets) for your children then contact the Institute of Professional Will writers for a local provider or speak to your existing financial advisor and see if they offer a referral service or ask a relative or friend if they have had something prepared lately by someone who they can recommend and remember the cheapest is not always the best!

Edited by WTAW

Guest busdriver1

When people answer cold calls it just encourages them. Just hang up or be abusive to them first then hang up. Nill results are the only way to stop them.

Yes I did say be abusive, if anyone is sad enough to do this for a living they have got it coming.

I wasn't giving detailed instructions on how to write it, just explaining that there is no obligation to pay someone to do it for you.

You can buy packs to do it yourself, I'm sure they come with clear instructions about dating the document, signing it correctly and getting it witnessed correctly.

Wharever you decide,make a will.My partner died without making a will & as we were not married & had a child it was no end of hassle transfering her estate to our son,obtaining a parental responsibility order,obtaining probate etc.