The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Hello all

I read somewhere that ikea were intrested in redeveloping the castlegate area with an IKEA superstore if they cannot open one in there intended site off the Parkway. Could this be the councils reasons for refusing permission on the Parkway site?

What do you all think of it as an idea to regenerate this area?

I think it would be excellent and much needed in this particular area and it would certainly improve the local economy and attract people to the city centre.

A new IKEA would be great, BUT I heard an IKEA rep on radio 4 the other week saying something about the company had been stopped from building any more new stores in England. Can't remember why but could only build in Scotland and Wales, hence new store in Cardiff recently....

they wanted to build where the YEB place was. they probably didnt allow it as the Parkway cant take the extra traffic.

The Council won't give them a permission anywhere becasue they believe that it would affect the chances of success of the New Retail Quarter. That doesn't stop Ikea from taking an existing store, but their business model is to be on a main arterial route on a site with full car parking fo the their store. That doesn't really include anywhere around the markets. Ikea don't care if they are in Sheffield, or Rotherham, as long as they are on Parkway.

Just read this on the IKEA website

"New store sites are being sought in a number of different areas and are in various stages of planning. Areas being considered currently include:

Stockport

Edmonton

Sheffield

Southampton

Coventry

Northampton"

the url is: http://www.ikea.co.uk/ms/en_GB/customer_service/faq/faq.html

I have read with interest the contining saga regading a IKEA store in Sheffield (well near Sheffield on the Parkway).

It seems that becuase it would draw custom from the city centre, this is why it keeps getting turned down. Firstly there are two big stores already on the Parkway (these got permisson after IKEA started and after lots of protest) these are Big W, and Morrisons. Two stores that definity would draw custom fom city centre mostly Big W.

Now I can can only think of one big store that IKEA would affect and thats John Lewis (Cole Brothers) and then some smaller furniture and fabric stores.

Now in my humble opinion if I wanted to shop there I would do do already, but I like IKEA so decide to drive to Nottingham.

Now why don't they put a Park and Ride scheme in, or force IKEA to run a bus service to the city centre, becuase I only see people with cars being able to use the store without this anyway.

What do people on this forum feel about an IKEA being built. and I mean in principle of the store not being against it becuase you feel the products are crap, if you think that you'd shop in town anyway.

Look forward to hearing your opinions

Jubby

Building an Ikea in Sheffield wouldn't take any business from the city centre - people who go to Ikea do so anyway. Your not going to say ah well, I wanted to go to Ikea but it's too far away so i'll go to Cole Brothers instead.

It would create loads of jobs too, which is a good thing.

The only problem I can see is the problems of added congestion on an already bottlenecked bit of the M1. Could it be that big a problem though?

Maybe the park & ride thing is a good idea. Perhaps we could use cablecars...

Originally posted by jackthedog

Building an Ikea in Sheffield wouldn't take any business from the city centre - people who go to Ikea do so anyway. Your not going to say ah well, I wanted to go to Ikea but it's too far away so i'll go to Cole Brothers instead.

It would create loads of jobs too, which is a good thing.

The only problem I can see is the problems of added congestion on an already bottlenecked bit of the M1. Could it be that big a problem though?

Maybe the park & ride thing is a good idea. Perhaps we could use cablecars...

But you need to use the M1 to get to IKEA Nottingham and Leeds, so it would ease some of it, from rotherham and sheffield, but yes increase it on the Parkway, if they made the Parkway 3 lanes it may ease the jams??

If they altered the Parkway though, people would moan and bitch about the roadworks.

The Leeds and Nottingham Ikeas are not positioned at already tight sections of the M1.

The section of motorway that runs between Rotherham and Sheffield is already a terrible bottleneck that needs improvement. Having more traffic queueing to get of the Mway onto the parkway would add to an already bad problem, but - as I said - i'm not sure how much of a problem it would cause.

In the grand scheme of things, would adding an Ikea store have that great an impact?

I agree people will go to Ikea wherever it is. Having said that, I'd like to see it in the city centre if that were possible. It's not so much about taking people out of the city centre, because it probably wouldn't have a big effect, but it would be a massive boost to the city centre if it were built there.

The cost and time involved in adding an extra lane to the Parkway is way too much. It's just not gonna happen. :(