Dog mess on Colley Park

Could you imagine the almighty brewha if SCC employed wardens to issue fines to people not clearing up their dog mess?

Perhaps they should

I challenged a woman yesterday evening who was allowing her greyhound to foul a footpath in Meersbrook park. All hell broke loose! She accused me of harassing her and she would call the police. She added that I should be punched on the nose. All this was done at the top of her voice... A guilty conscience does strange things to people...

Actually it's a shame she didn't punch you on the nose...

Can you imagine the fallout??

National tabloids would have a field day, you would get financial compensation for trauma/stress....she would be hounded by the press and public and even better it would throw the media spotlight over the whole disgusting dog owners attitude to public places.

Go back and challenge her.....it's worth a bloody nose surely!

Me, I deliberately turn away from dog owners, I despise them, yes some do pick up, but the stench from constant urine streaks on the primary school gates or the church steps is equally offensive.

I'm sick to death of them, absolutely pig sick of 'em.

I hope they all know just how despised they are.

The council really should look into setting up a link where the public can send photos of owners abusing public space. Seriously it would probably raise more revenue than speed cameras. I'd pack my day job in and just wander round all day snapping away. Easy money.

Edited by mrcharlie

I returned home to find splattered dog faeces along my drive in line with the car wheels.

Apparently, I'd just driven through some of the mess covering the pavement between the dropped curb and my drive. Even four wheels couldn't manage to reshape all examples of turdus doggyius left for my perusal.

Other deposits were still in place and available for pedsetrians to take home via their footwear. In Dore and Totley apparently they gather the horse manure. In S5 we are not often visited by the horsey set. Rather the pit bull, rottweiler or heinz variety of four legged animal is the average toe rag's fashion accessory. Usually, given a walk on the way to buy or sell drugs. It's such a well supported business round here I'm surprised no one branches out into car boots rather than car windows.

Fortunately, I found the culprit via CCTV. The dog starts to make its deposits while the owner pulls strongly on the dog's lead to no avail.The last time I saw footage like this it starred Charlie Chaplin. Where was I? Oh yes, it was a big beast. In both senses. The dog is then dragged mid-dump until emptied. The latter being something similar to a lorry load of sand slipping from a trailer. No attempt was made to retrieve the deposits or kick the stuff into the road. Unacceptable, but marginally better then turning the pavement into an obstacle course that would have challenged the SAS.

I phoned the Council; environmental issue. I received a good response. A prosecution is straight forward and someone is to call and view the footage. The Council employ a Turd Assessment Officer who will weigh the issue very carefully.

I consider this a result and am pleased by the immediate action and attitude shown by the Council. Not only must our streets be safe but clean too.

Later I produced a hose pipe and sluiced the car tyres, driveway and pavement with copious blasts of water for several minutes to cleanse the area. Nothing was stuck to a blanket but it certainly was reluctant to leave the scene of the grime. Despite the naturally curved and sausage shaped appearences, it was impossible to roll away and required direct hits to become dislodged, disintegrated and vanquished. I was reminded of 1970s TV game shows before my mind conjured up an image of the Queen pinning on a medal for services to tarmac, an interview with Holly and Phil followed by 'c' status celebrity with guest appearences to follow. I could see myself on 'Bake Off' producing a wonderful Toad in the Hole.

A passing neighbour commented how he'd had to tread carefully, what a disgrace it had been and how the culprit needed a warning. No next times though for me. Battle lines had been marked on the tarmac. This was war.

Perhaps the gentle bombs that fell so slow were released too early and the bus stop was the intended target. I just happened to be collaterol damage. An indiscriminate cluster bomb with my name on it.

I will assist in a prosecution and not consider any 'warning' or second chance. My human rights, to live free of unwanted deliveries, has been breached.

It needs to be a case of one dump and you're toast.

Apologies if you're having breakfast.

Edited by Owethemnowt

//Actually it's a shame she didn't punch you on the nose...

National tabloids would have a field day, you would get financial compensation for trauma/stress....she would be hounded by the press and public and even better it would throw the media spotlight over the whole disgusting dog owners attitude to public places.

Go back and challenge her.....it's worth a bloody nose surely.//

Discretion was better than valour in this case,mrcharlie. She was in a bit of a lather and could have accused me of anything. There were no witnesses, so I beat a retreat, sharpish.

Actually it's a shame she didn't punch you on the nose...

Go back and challenge her.....it's worth a bloody nose surely!

Me, I deliberately turn away from dog owners, I despise them, yes some do pick up, but the stench from constant urine streaks on the primary school gates or the church steps is equally offensive.

The council really should look into setting up a link where the public can send photos of owners abusing public space. Seriously it would probably raise more revenue than speed cameras. I'd pack my day job in and just wander round all day snapping away. Easy money.

Dear me. Sit down and take a Valium.

All right minded people would agree that dog fouling and then the owners failing to pick it up is wrong, but I get the sense that you are a misanthropic person that dislikes dogs and their owners in general, even those that do the right thing and pick up the poo.

whether you like it or not dogs are a part of society as much as anything else.

I agree its awfull but you don't have to go as far as that do you,its the council that needs to sort it a few big fines all over this city and I think that would do the trick.

I'm also a dog owner infact owner of two. I walk daily in Greenhill Park and the amount of owners that do not clean up is disgusting. After being reported to neighbourhood wardens for using a communal bin I was told by the wardens I cant use the communal bins. I asked what about the 100's of people that left it on the pavement. They didn't care about that more worried about it tied up in a bag. I reported this issue to the dog wardens to be told we only have two wardens for Sheffield and they were busy with abandoned and stray animals. She said they would try and start issuing some fines but I've not seen anyone in there. Also the homes surrounding Greenhill park are also areas to watch where you put your feet because again people don't clean up and leave deposit at the end of peoples paths. Just lazy if you have a dog or two clean up after them simple!! Also think the wardens have bigger issues to deal with than using a communal bin.

as chair of friends of greenhill park,after lots of complaints about 2 years ago we had a council official who even we did not know or that he was coming visit,he spent many hours and didn't find one person committing a offence,it was upsetting and I agree its awfull and needs sorting in Sheffield,we have to pay a man to clear this mess up every year before the festival,the quicker they get dog wardens the better thanks.

I agree its awfull but you don't have to go as far as that do you,its the council that needs to sort it a few big fines all over this city and I think that would do the trick.

All it needs is an act passing at Westminster to reinstate the dog license. Wardens could then be recruited and any money made from fines could be used to keep the license fee down as much as possible.

as chair of friends of greenhill park,after lots of complaints about 2 years ago we had a council official who even we did not know or that he was coming visit,he spent many hours and didn't find one person committing a offence,it was upsetting and I agree its awfull and needs sorting in Sheffield,we have to pay a man to clear this mess up every year before the festival,the quicker they get dog wardens the better thanks.

Well whichever council official attended must have poor eyesight take a walk down by the bowling green it's full of it. I think it's the guys who do the park maintenance that spray the little circle with the dog pooing then a line through it on to the paths saying fines will be issued. People know nothing is done so just ignore them.