Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Reminiscing about the 1950s

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

22-09-2017, 22:39   #1
arrodbo

Total Posts: 874
In the 1950s I used to travel by tram from Penistone rd to town and then catch a Weedon St tram to Attercliffe to visit my Aunt Violet and uncle Albert, Aunt Mary Ann also lived there. I was 10 years old and made this journey often. Imagine nowadays trying that. My purpose in writing this is that our family lost touch when this generation died. They had 2 sons Michael plus Stan. I know the 2 lads did National sevice in the Suez crisis or the Korean war.STAN worked in the Steel industry and the MICK was a stone mason. Its funny how as you get older thing spring from your memory bank. I am curious to know if anyone knew of them.
There surname was BERRY and I remember them livin on or near Zion lane.

Last edited by arrodbo; 16-10-2017 at 09:19. Reason: wrong sir name
26-09-2017, 15:55   #2
Asaw

Total Posts: 1,191
Send a message via MSN to Asaw
Use to Travel on the No7 Stannington every Sunday(or the 88 Roscoe Bank to see Auntie Ethel and Auntie Annie(Hill)at the top of Hollins Lane in the cottages. Occasionally saw Lol and Alice Hill (at Malin Bridge)who were my fathers cousin and there son Ian who last I heard lived on Barlow Rd.
26-09-2017, 22:19   #3
Runningman

Total Posts: 1,297
Ah, the 1950's, United v Wednesday and no violence !!
02-10-2017, 04:15   #4
stephen 7

Total Posts: 42
Apart from being hit in the head by pennies thrown by rival fans on the kop
02-10-2017, 09:40   #5
Runningman

Yes, hit on the head by coins thrown !
Do you remember when a sheet was carried round for supporters to throw coins into.
That was real dangerous !
02-10-2017, 09:59   #6
Padders

Total Posts: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
Yes, hit on the head by coins thrown !
Do you remember when a sheet was carried round for supporters to throw coins into.
That was real dangerous !
Ha Ha. remember it well runningman.
16-10-2017, 09:21   #7
arrodbo

Total Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrodbo View Post
In the 1950s I used to travel by tram from Penistone rd to town and then catch a Weedon St tram to Attercliffe to visit my Aunt Violet and uncle Albert, Aunt Mary Ann also lived there. I was 10 years old and made this journey often. Imagine nowadays trying that. My purpose in writing this is that our family lost touch when this generation died. They had 2 sons Michael plus Stan. I know the 2 lads did National sevice in the Suez crisis or the Korean war.STAN worked in the Steel industry and the MICK was a stone mason. Its funny how as you get older thing spring from your memory bank. I am curious to know if anyone knew of them.
There surname was BERRY and I remember them livin on or near Zion lane.
edited today with correct sir names
16-10-2017, 09:33   #8
Runningman

Very quiet Sunday's, read below !

Boys Brigade marching, loved the sound of the band.

Large groups of cyclists on Abbeydale Road going out into Derbyshire

Mom and Dad telling me I must keep quiet out on the road, no playing football in the street.

2 spinsters living close by used to have hymn singing on the radio turned up full blast

Sunday dinner always
16-10-2017, 12:23   #9
hgdave

Total Posts: 61
Winter time sledging all day and going home with red rings around your legs from your wellies. Summer time , school holidays and playing playing football or cricket until it was too dark to see the ball.
16-10-2017, 14:15   #10
echo beach

Total Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen 7 View Post
Apart from being hit in the head by pennies thrown by rival fans on the kop
Yes, and what about the cushions that you could buy to make the wooden seats more comfortable, which then doubled up as missiles to throw on to the pitch in response to a poor decision by the referee or a dirty tackle by one of the opposition's players.

echo.
16-10-2017, 22:01   #11
Ontarian1981

Total Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo beach View Post
Yes, and what about the cushions that you could buy to make the wooden seats more comfortable, which then doubled up as missiles to throw on to the pitch in response to a poor decision by the referee or a dirty tackle by one of the opposition's players.

echo.
Yes remember the Bronco Layne incident , in particular, although I believe we were into the 60's by then. Pictures in the Sunday papers with headlines calling it wanton hooliganism. Geez if they only knew what was to come in the next several years.

Last edited by Ontarian1981; 16-10-2017 at 22:03.
16-10-2017, 22:53   #12
Jim Hardie

Total Posts: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
Yes remember the Bronco Layne incident , in particular, although I believe we were into the 60's by then. Pictures in the Sunday papers with headlines calling it wanton hooliganism. Geez if they only knew what was to come in the next several years.
Sent off against Aston Villa for laying out Jimmy McEwan. I was one of the idiots outside the players' entrance chanting 'we want the ref' until a police horse trod on my toe and I decided to call it a day.
_______
C E N S O R E D !
To protect Generation Snowflake?
17-10-2017, 00:39   #13
stpetre

Total Posts: 2,115
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hardie View Post
Sent off against Aston Villa for laying out Jimmy McEwan. I was one of the idiots outside the players' entrance chanting 'we want the ref' until a police horse trod on my toe and I decided to call it a day.
Wasn't there something that incited the incident, like the wrong player being sent off ? Also the Owls then after, had to stop renting (as opposed to selling) cushions in the North Stand. I think this happened in 1962, not the 50's.

Last edited by stpetre; 17-10-2017 at 00:52. Reason: Add
17-10-2017, 16:22   #14
Jim Hardie

Total Posts: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpetre View Post
Wasn't there something that incited the incident, like the wrong player being sent off ?
Could have been. If ALAN 58 sees this post, he might be able to get it from the horse's mouth.
_______
C E N S O R E D !
To protect Generation Snowflake?
Reply To Topic