Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Reminiscing about the 1950s

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-09-2017, 22:39   #1
arrodbo
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Cornwall ex hillsborough and Great Harwood Lancs
Total Posts: 874
In the 1950s I used to travel by tram from Penistone rd to town and then catch a Weedon St tram to Attercliffe to visit my Aunt Violet and uncle Albert, Aunt Mary Ann also lived there. I was 10 years old and made this journey often. Imagine nowadays trying that. My purpose in writing this is that our family lost touch when this generation died. They had 2 sons Michael plus Stan. I know the 2 lads did National sevice in the Suez crisis or the Korean war.STAN worked in the Steel industry and the MICK was a stone mason. Its funny how as you get older thing spring from your memory bank. I am curious to know if anyone knew of them.
There surname was BERRY and I remember them livin on or near Zion lane.

Last edited by arrodbo; 16-10-2017 at 09:19. Reason: wrong sir name
  Reply With Quote
26-09-2017, 15:55   #2
Asaw
Registered User
Asaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: South Yorks/Notts border
Total Posts: 1,191
Send a message via MSN to Asaw
Use to Travel on the No7 Stannington every Sunday(or the 88 Roscoe Bank to see Auntie Ethel and Auntie Annie(Hill)at the top of Hollins Lane in the cottages. Occasionally saw Lol and Alice Hill (at Malin Bridge)who were my fathers cousin and there son Ian who last I heard lived on Barlow Rd.
  Reply With Quote
26-09-2017, 22:19   #3
Runningman
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Total Posts: 1,297
Ah, the 1950's, United v Wednesday and no violence !!
  Reply With Quote
02-10-2017, 04:15   #4
stephen 7
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Total Posts: 42
Apart from being hit in the head by pennies thrown by rival fans on the kop
  Reply With Quote
02-10-2017, 09:40   #5
Runningman
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Total Posts: 1,297
Yes, hit on the head by coins thrown !
Do you remember when a sheet was carried round for supporters to throw coins into.
That was real dangerous !
  Reply With Quote
02-10-2017, 09:59   #6
Padders
Registered User
Padders's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 5,728
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
Yes, hit on the head by coins thrown !
Do you remember when a sheet was carried round for supporters to throw coins into.
That was real dangerous !
Ha Ha. remember it well runningman.
  Reply With Quote
16-10-2017, 09:21   #7
arrodbo
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Cornwall ex hillsborough and Great Harwood Lancs
Total Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrodbo View Post
In the 1950s I used to travel by tram from Penistone rd to town and then catch a Weedon St tram to Attercliffe to visit my Aunt Violet and uncle Albert, Aunt Mary Ann also lived there. I was 10 years old and made this journey often. Imagine nowadays trying that. My purpose in writing this is that our family lost touch when this generation died. They had 2 sons Michael plus Stan. I know the 2 lads did National sevice in the Suez crisis or the Korean war.STAN worked in the Steel industry and the MICK was a stone mason. Its funny how as you get older thing spring from your memory bank. I am curious to know if anyone knew of them.
There surname was BERRY and I remember them livin on or near Zion lane.
edited today with correct sir names
  Reply With Quote
16-10-2017, 09:33   #8
Runningman
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Total Posts: 1,297
Very quiet Sunday's, read below !

Boys Brigade marching, loved the sound of the band.

Large groups of cyclists on Abbeydale Road going out into Derbyshire

Mom and Dad telling me I must keep quiet out on the road, no playing football in the street.

2 spinsters living close by used to have hymn singing on the radio turned up full blast

Sunday dinner always
  Reply With Quote
16-10-2017, 12:23   #9
hgdave
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Total Posts: 61
Winter time sledging all day and going home with red rings around your legs from your wellies. Summer time , school holidays and playing playing football or cricket until it was too dark to see the ball.
  Reply With Quote
16-10-2017, 14:15   #10
echo beach
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: "Far away in time".
Total Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen 7 View Post
Apart from being hit in the head by pennies thrown by rival fans on the kop
Yes, and what about the cushions that you could buy to make the wooden seats more comfortable, which then doubled up as missiles to throw on to the pitch in response to a poor decision by the referee or a dirty tackle by one of the opposition's players.

echo.
  Reply With Quote
16-10-2017, 22:01   #11
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo beach View Post
Yes, and what about the cushions that you could buy to make the wooden seats more comfortable, which then doubled up as missiles to throw on to the pitch in response to a poor decision by the referee or a dirty tackle by one of the opposition's players.

echo.
Yes remember the Bronco Layne incident , in particular, although I believe we were into the 60's by then. Pictures in the Sunday papers with headlines calling it wanton hooliganism. Geez if they only knew what was to come in the next several years.

Last edited by Ontarian1981; 16-10-2017 at 22:03.
  Reply With Quote
16-10-2017, 22:53   #12
Jim Hardie
Registered User
Jim Hardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
Yes remember the Bronco Layne incident , in particular, although I believe we were into the 60's by then. Pictures in the Sunday papers with headlines calling it wanton hooliganism. Geez if they only knew what was to come in the next several years.
Sent off against Aston Villa for laying out Jimmy McEwan. I was one of the idiots outside the players' entrance chanting 'we want the ref' until a police horse trod on my toe and I decided to call it a day.
_______
C E N S O R E D !
To protect Generation Snowflake?
  Reply With Quote
17-10-2017, 00:39   #13
stpetre
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Total Posts: 2,115
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hardie View Post
Sent off against Aston Villa for laying out Jimmy McEwan. I was one of the idiots outside the players' entrance chanting 'we want the ref' until a police horse trod on my toe and I decided to call it a day.
Wasn't there something that incited the incident, like the wrong player being sent off ? Also the Owls then after, had to stop renting (as opposed to selling) cushions in the North Stand. I think this happened in 1962, not the 50's.

Last edited by stpetre; 17-10-2017 at 00:52. Reason: Add
  Reply With Quote
17-10-2017, 16:22   #14
Jim Hardie
Registered User
Jim Hardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpetre View Post
Wasn't there something that incited the incident, like the wrong player being sent off ?
Could have been. If ALAN 58 sees this post, he might be able to get it from the horse's mouth.
_______
C E N S O R E D !
To protect Generation Snowflake?
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:11.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017

Nimbus Server