Reminiscing about the 1950s

In the 1950s I used to travel by tram from Penistone rd to town and then catch a Weedon St tram to Attercliffe to visit my Aunt Violet and uncle Albert, Aunt Mary Ann also lived there. I was 10 years old and made this journey often. Imagine nowadays trying that. My purpose in writing this is that our family lost touch when this generation died. They had 2 sons Michael plus Stan. I know the 2 lads did National sevice in the Suez crisis or the Korean war.STAN worked in the Steel industry and the MICK was a stone mason. Its funny how as you get older thing spring from your memory bank. I am curious to know if anyone knew of them.

There surname was BERRY and I remember them livin on or near Zion lane.

Edited by arrodbo
wrong sir name

Use to Travel on the No7 Stannington every Sunday(or the 88 Roscoe Bank to see Auntie Ethel and Auntie Annie(Hill)at the top of Hollins Lane in the cottages. Occasionally saw Lol and Alice Hill (at Malin Bridge)who were my fathers cousin and there son Ian who last I heard lived on Barlow Rd.

Apart from being hit in the head by pennies thrown by rival fans on the kop

Yes, hit on the head by coins thrown !

Do you remember when a sheet was carried round for supporters to throw coins into.

That was real dangerous !

Yes, hit on the head by coins thrown !

Do you remember when a sheet was carried round for supporters to throw coins into.

That was real dangerous !

Ha Ha. remember it well runningman.

In the 1950s I used to travel by tram from Penistone rd to town and then catch a Weedon St tram to Attercliffe to visit my Aunt Violet and uncle Albert, Aunt Mary Ann also lived there. I was 10 years old and made this journey often. Imagine nowadays trying that. My purpose in writing this is that our family lost touch when this generation died. They had 2 sons Michael plus Stan. I know the 2 lads did National sevice in the Suez crisis or the Korean war.STAN worked in the Steel industry and the MICK was a stone mason. Its funny how as you get older thing spring from your memory bank. I am curious to know if anyone knew of them.

There surname was BERRY and I remember them livin on or near Zion lane.

edited today with correct sir names

Very quiet Sunday's, read below !

Boys Brigade marching, loved the sound of the band.

Large groups of cyclists on Abbeydale Road going out into Derbyshire

Mom and Dad telling me I must keep quiet out on the road, no playing football in the street.

2 spinsters living close by used to have hymn singing on the radio turned up full blast

Sunday dinner always

Winter time sledging all day and going home with red rings around your legs from your wellies. Summer time , school holidays and playing playing football or cricket until it was too dark to see the ball.

Apart from being hit in the head by pennies thrown by rival fans on the kop

Yes, and what about the cushions that you could buy to make the wooden seats more comfortable, which then doubled up as missiles to throw on to the pitch in response to a poor decision by the referee or a dirty tackle by one of the opposition's players.

echo.

Yes, and what about the cushions that you could buy to make the wooden seats more comfortable, which then doubled up as missiles to throw on to the pitch in response to a poor decision by the referee or a dirty tackle by one of the opposition's players.

echo.

Yes remember the Bronco Layne incident , in particular, although I believe we were into the 60's by then. Pictures in the Sunday papers with headlines calling it wanton hooliganism. Geez if they only knew what was to come in the next several years.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Yes remember the Bronco Layne incident , in particular, although I believe we were into the 60's by then. Pictures in the Sunday papers with headlines calling it wanton hooliganism. Geez if they only knew what was to come in the next several years.

Sent off against Aston Villa for laying out Jimmy McEwan. I was one of the idiots outside the players' entrance chanting 'we want the ref' until a police horse trod on my toe and I decided to call it a day. :)