Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Where can I park??

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-09-2017, 13:24   #1
tess08

Total Posts: 1
Hoping somebody can help me as to where I can park to get the tram into Sheffield for uni.

For the past three years, since September 2014 whilst living in Rotherham i've parked at valley entertainment and used to tram to get into uni (even if I didn't park in a designated park and ride space I never got a fine) .However since working on a placement for a year i've come back to sheffield and found I can no longer park there without getting a ticket. All of the park and ride spaces are full by the time I get there. And to top it off i've already bought my annual tram pass for £275 for the year.

I've explored other options but to no avail:
-Meadowhall Interchange Park and Ride- Full by 8am
-Meadowhall Shopping Centre- for customers only, potential fines
-Meadowhall Retail Park- fines after parking for few hours
-Nunnery Square- can't pay for parking separately and i've already bought my tram ticket
-Other park and rides- too far, might aswell drive all the way into sheffield centre

So, does anyone know of anywhere I can park to catch the tram where theres spaces and I don't have to pay £10 a day for the privilege or risk getting a fine.

If not I'm thinking my only option is to write to whoever I need to asking if they can refund my ticket due to no adequate parking being available and then either use Nunnery square or just drive into sheffield and pay for parking.

Please help

22-09-2017, 19:35   #2
carosio

Total Posts: 3,700
There's places in S6 near the tram route to the uni but this might too roundabout a journey for you due to your Location.
22-09-2017, 19:41   #3
The Joker

Total Posts: 4,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by tess08 View Post
could anybody confirm this please ?

I’ve seen the odd dodgy-looking car get clamped at Meadowhall Shopping Centre, but didn’t know it went any further than that.
22-09-2017, 19:44   #4
Alan Hartley

Total Posts: 3,538
For every mile you drive, a polar bear cub dies.
_______
"Was that the intro I should have been in?"
22-09-2017, 20:02   #5
Annie Bynnol

Total Posts: 1,972
IKEA - soon .
22-09-2017, 20:06   #6
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Bynnol View Post
IKEA - soon .
I doubt they'll open without parking eye surveying the car park. Why would they? Ikea car parks are a big enough pain in the arse without freeloaders filling up spaces every day.
_______
We get the world we deserve.
22-09-2017, 20:07   #7
rudds1

Total Posts: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by tess08 View Post
Hoping somebody can help me as to where I can park to get the tram into Sheffield for uni.

For the past three years, since September 2014 whilst living in Rotherham i've parked at valley entertainment and used to tram to get into uni (even if I didn't park in a designated park and ride space I never got a fine) .However since working on a placement for a year i've come back to sheffield and found I can no longer park there without getting a ticket. All of the park and ride spaces are full by the time I get there. And to top it off i've already bought my annual tram pass for £275 for the year.

I've explored other options but to no avail:
-Meadowhall Interchange Park and Ride- Full by 8am
-Meadowhall Retail Park- fines after parking for few hours
-Nunnery Square- can't pay for parking separately and i've already bought my tram ticket
-Other park and rides- too far, might aswell drive all the way into sheffield centre

So, does anyone know of anywhere I can park to catch the tram where theres spaces and I don't have to pay £10 a day for the privilege or risk getting a fine.

If not I'm thinking my only option is to write to whoever I need to asking if they can refund my ticket due to no adequate parking being available and then either use Nunnery square or just drive into sheffield and pay for parking.

Please help

If wanting to catch tram at Meadowhall park on one of side streets .ie Newman road /Vauxhall road then walk to Meadowhall tram stop .
22-09-2017, 20:08   #8
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,737
Get a bus to a tram stop?
_______
We get the world we deserve.
22-09-2017, 20:17   #9
jackanne

Total Posts: 267
Try the Attercliffe tram stop at junction of shirland lane and shortbridge street,there is plenty of on street parking.
22-09-2017, 20:51   #10
Jomie

Total Posts: 790
Assuming that you still live in Rotherham, you could try the X1 bus from the interchange -
it goes through Meadowhall so you could change to the Supertram there.
22-09-2017, 23:27   #11
Marx

Total Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanne View Post
Try the Attercliffe tram stop at junction of shirland lane and shortbridge street,there is plenty of on street parking.
What about the free car parks adjacent to and behind the Banners building? They don't fill-up until gone eight and are a couple of minutes from Attercliffe tram stop.
22-09-2017, 23:44   #12
Thorpist

Total Posts: 551
Try the railway station at Meadowhall, I have left my car there over the weekend with no problem
23-09-2017, 00:05   #13
Scutts

Total Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpist View Post
Try the railway station at Meadowhall, I have left my car there over the weekend with no problem
You have to get there before 7am to get a space.
_______
Nothing to see here
23-09-2017, 00:24   #14
smithy266

Total Posts: 4,355
Crystal Peaks?
23-09-2017, 00:35   #15
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 36,102
Whereabouts in Rotherham are you? Have you considered using the A629 to come across through Chapeltown and parking on one of the on street spaces all along the route through Hillsborough/ Lower Walkley/ Langsett Estate/ Upperthorpe? Blue and yellow trams every couple of minutes in the morning.

As long as you're careful to avoid the clearway restrictions along Langsett Road there are lots of uncontrolled parking spaces in the side roads near stops.

When I mention the clearway restrictions I mean that the clearway extends from Langsett Road itself up the first 10/15m up each side road, and anybody leaving a vehicle on that space is likely to get a ticket within a few minutes, but outside of that area on each road (and Langsett Road itself) and some very specific residents' parking schemes there's still lots of parking that's open during the days.
_______
'Turn you inside out and lick you like a crisp packet.'
23-09-2017, 00:53   #16
scimsfan

Total Posts: 126
"-Nunnery Square- can't pay for parking separately and i've already bought my tram ticket"

Yes you can. £2.50 a day from the machine, just select parking only from the options.
Card ticket with barcode on it.
Machine will keep day tickets when you exit at the barrier.
23-09-2017, 06:52   #17
Andy C

Total Posts: 8,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
I doubt they'll open without parking eye surveying the car park. Why would they? Ikea car parks are a big enough pain in the arse without freeloaders filling up spaces every day.
IKEA have said they won't be stopping tram passengers park there - it's a big car park and hey they may even pop into the store or cafe now and again - but it's not being advertised just in case Its busier in the daytime than they expected and they change their mind!
23-09-2017, 07:34   #18
Annie Bynnol

Total Posts: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
"All IKEA stores have free parking* which include Disabled and Parent & Baby parking bays...equipped with electric car chargers ...

*Free parking subject to a minimum spend at IKEA Southampton and IKEA Coventry(which are in their city centres)."

There is no indication parking costs - yet. Since they do not open until 10:00 (09:30 café) should be plenty of parking
23-09-2017, 08:37   #19
bertyboop

Total Posts: 567
I've messaged you. I may be able to help.
23-09-2017, 12:11   #20
mafya

Total Posts: 7,978
Can't you get to Sheffield from Rotherham on public transport all the way and just leave the car at home?
Reply To Topic