Reply To Topic

22-07-2017, 16:25   #21
LeMaquis

Total Posts: 8,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria1867 View Post
Surely this will be absolute carnage?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/footb...-10k-1-8657854

The date for the first Steel City derby of the season has been moved for TV purposes and will now clash with the Sheffield 10K.
Absolute carnage?

The 10k will take place about 4 miles from Hillsborough and will have been over for about 2 hours before the match kick-off.

Next carnage - man shops at Sainsbury's on the Moor as match kicks off at Bramall Lane and loaf gets squashed.
_______
Vive La Résistance
23-07-2017, 09:40   #22
bassett one

Total Posts: 2,077
the southyorkshire police think its okay and the scc think its okay and the 2 football clubs so what could go wrong?
_______
meadowhead gigantic bonfire free entry pyrotechnic firework display fri nov 3rd gates open 6pm
23-07-2017, 12:33   #23
Squiggs

Total Posts: 7,168
Carnage? What, as in "the violent killing of a large number of people"?

Blimey. Think I'll stop indoors then

I'd more call it "a poor decision but one that will nevertheless cause minor disruption for a relatively short period". But that's what you get when you let money and Sky take over what used to be the working person's sport. They call the shots and anyone else (public, fans and police) can take a running jump if they don't like it
_______
If your dog is seized do not sign anything without reading and understanding it, if you sign your dog over to the authorities, they can destroy your dog.
You do not have to sign your dog over no matter what you may be told. If your dog has been seized, contact DDA Watch: ddawatch@gmail.com or 0844 844 0802

Last edited by Squiggs; 23-07-2017 at 12:35.
23-07-2017, 12:42   #24
cytine

Total Posts: 698
Football has sold it's soul to Sky and the TV companies so they will do as they are told. The old adage "He who pays the piper calls the tune" still applies today.
23-07-2017, 16:51   #25
bassett one

Total Posts: 2,077
okay but SCC,SWFC must have some say ,never mind the police.
_______
meadowhead gigantic bonfire free entry pyrotechnic firework display fri nov 3rd gates open 6pm
23-07-2017, 17:22   #26
zaci

Total Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzijlstra View Post
Ridiculous decision that should be reviewed and overturned.
Think you're being a bit ambitious theretzijilstra, we all know Murdoch rules the roost.
23-07-2017, 21:51   #27
abbeyedges

Total Posts: 242
Carnage?

Sky have insisted that the game us played on the Sunday. They will be keen to see the game kick off on time to fall in line with their worldwide schedules. Murdoch rules the roost.

Let's hope the 10k doesn't cause any delays to fans arriving at the ground on time.

There again it's a little far fetched to think that a game at Hillsborough could lead to carnage because the authorities didn't request a delay to kick off.

Do we ever learn?
23-07-2017, 22:13   #28
sibon
Attraction

Total Posts: 19,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeyedges View Post
Carnage?

Sky have insisted that the game us played on the Sunday. They will be keen to see the game kick off on time to fall in line with their worldwide schedules. Murdoch rules the roost.

Let's hope the 10k doesn't cause any delays to fans arriving at the ground on time.

There again it's a little far fetched to think that a game at Hillsborough could lead to carnage because the authorities didn't request a delay to kick off.

Do we ever learn?
Well, I guess that having over two months of notice might help people to plan a route that will get them to the game on time.

Anyone who gets caught out really doesn't deserve a ticket.
_______
Closed
23-07-2017, 22:54   #29
mcleod

Total Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria1867 View Post
Surely this will be absolute carnage?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/footb...-10k-1-8657854

The date for the first Steel City derby of the season has been moved for TV purposes and will now clash with the Sheffield 10K.
you could not make it up absolutely stupid
24-07-2017, 08:33   #30
bluecanary

Total Posts: 1,067
There are also likely to be large numbers of university students travelling to Sheffield that weekend, who will have no prior knowledge of either event.....

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android
24-07-2017, 09:01   #31
Andy1976

Total Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecanary View Post
There are also likely to be large numbers of university students travelling to Sheffield that weekend, who will have no prior knowledge of either event.....

Freshers week is the week before isn't it? W/e 22nd?
24-07-2017, 09:07   #32
Mr Bloke

Total Posts: 4,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecanary View Post

Hmmm... that settles it then...

... obviously BOTH the footy and the 10K MUST be cancelled now!

The safety and convenience of the finest young minds in our city must always come first...
_______
"We Didn't Kill The Forum" - witness my latest cinematographic masterpiece on YouTube...
24-07-2017, 09:17   #33
Victoria1867

Total Posts: 560
I forgot how friendly you all are. #semantics
24-07-2017, 09:40   #34
Andy1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMaquis View Post
Absolute carnage?

The 10k will take place about 4 miles from Hillsborough and will have been over for about 2 hours before the match kick-off.

Next carnage - man shops at Sainsbury's on the Moor as match kicks off at Bramall Lane and loaf gets squashed.
2 hours? Really?

So, the run starts at 9.30am. The vast majority of people will take an hour, so 10.30, but there will be lots that take 90mins, so 11am.

Then, at 11am, there's the kids race, which takes another hour.

So the roads and crowds won't be gone till 12noon. 15 minutes before kick off.

Yes, it's 4 miles away, but it's also closing off most of the roads around Brammall Lane (Ecclesall Road, the road behind Debenhams etc), which are main bus routes through the city, not to mention the fact that a lot of people coming from the S2 area (united fans) will have to find different ways round to beat the road closures.

I think the OP is perfectly right to raise it as an issue.
24-07-2017, 10:11   #35
Mr Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1976 View Post
2 hours? Really?

So, the run starts at 9.30am. The vast majority of people will take an hour, so 10.30, but there will be lots that take 90mins, so 11am.

Then, at 11am, there's the kids race, which takes another hour.

So the roads and crowds won't be gone till 12noon. 15 minutes before kick off.

Yes, it's 4 miles away, but it's also closing off most of the roads around Brammall Lane (Ecclesall Road, the road behind Debenhams etc), which are main bus routes through the city, not to mention the fact that a lot of people coming from the S2 area (united fans) will have to find different ways round to beat the road closures.

I think the OP is perfectly right to raise it as an issue.

Wow!

Have you realised how silly this whole 'panic' situation is?

Anyone would think that the city was about to implode under the stress of potentially having so many people on the streets, and that we were about to experience an event comparable only to the great Serengeti wildebeest migration.

Some people really need to get a grip!

Yes, it may be inconvenient for some and (shock, horror) people may have to plan their day in advance instead of just rolling out of bed and turning up.

But don't forget though that the majority of inhabitants will not be going to either event (or will be a returning student) and may welcome the fact that the city will be in 'meltdown' for only one day and not several days as might otherwise have been the case.
_______
"We Didn't Kill The Forum" - witness my latest cinematographic masterpiece on YouTube...
24-07-2017, 10:14   #36
Andy1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bloke View Post

Wow!

Have you realised how silly this whole 'panic' situation is?

Anyone would think that the city was about to implode under the stress of potentially having so many people on the streets, and that we were about to experience an event comparable only to the great Serengeti wildebeest migration.

Some people really need to get a grip!

Yes, it may be inconvenient for some and (shock, horror) people may have to plan their day in advance instead of just rolling out of bed and turning up.

But don't forget though that the majority of inhabitants will not be going to either event (or will be a returning student) and may welcome the fact that the city will be in 'meltdown' for only one day and not several days as might otherwise have been the case.
You don't agree. Some people are concerned. You're not. That's fine.

Stop the rolly eyes rubbish and grow up, please. There's no need for your tone at all.
24-07-2017, 10:23   #37
Mr Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1976 View Post
You don't agree. Some people are concerned. You're not. That's fine.

Stop the rolly eyes rubbish and grow up, please. There's no need for your tone at all.

I'm guessing by that response that you've now realised just how silly this is becoming...

... so my job here is done!
_______
24-07-2017, 10:36   #38
Andy1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bloke View Post

I'm guessing by that response that you've now realised just how silly this is becoming...

... so my job here is done!
No, I just think you're a fool.

Or a child. School holidays I suppose.
24-07-2017, 11:31   #39
Eccy Beach

Total Posts: 90
I agree that football ahs sold it's soul and is therefore at the mercy of it's Sky overlords - SWFC don't have a home game kicking off at 3pm Saturday for over two months.

Also agree the clash isn't ideal, but lets have a bit of context. Granted the teams haven't played each other for a long time (United's fault not Wednesdays ) but how many arrests and how much trouble has there been in at recent matches? Its not the 80s anymore.

With a bit of planning by the powers that be, and on behalf of individuals/families I think both events can pass off successfully.
24-07-2017, 12:49   #40
Victoria1867

Total Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccy Beach View Post
I agree that football ahs sold it's soul and is therefore at the mercy of it's Sky overlords - SWFC don't have a home game kicking off at 3pm Saturday for over two months.

Also agree the clash isn't ideal, but lets have a bit of context. Granted the teams haven't played each other for a long time (United's fault not Wednesdays ) but how many arrests and how much trouble has there been in at recent matches? Its not the 80s anymore.

With a bit of planning by the powers that be, and on behalf of individuals/families I think both events can pass off successfully.

This is the same city that forgot to give water to runners a few years ago...
Reply To Topic