Mick Lyons shirt number

Can anybody tell me for definite the number Mick Lyons wore on the back of his shirt. I say the number 5 someone told me 4. I have a pint on this:help:

Can anybody tell me for definite the number Mick Lyons wore on the back of his shirt. I say the number 5 someone told me 4. I have a pint on this:help:

Good question, did he play at the same time as Mark Smith ?

Good question, did he play at the same time as Mark Smith ?

For me one of the best central defence partnerships at Hillsborough

Am sure Smith was 4 and Captain Lyons definitely at 5

I was looking at an old Rothmans Yearbook from 83/84 at the weekend which is still to hand. In 1982/83 he made 39 league appearances for you lot wearing the number five shirt 38 times.

100% number five on for this just scroll down to the team sheet, I found another reference to a game when Lee Chapman was playing and Lyons was number six.

No squad numbers back then, so if you did not play another player wore that number shirt, Mick Lyons alongside Martin Hodge and Gary Megson played every league game for Wednesday back in the 1983-84 season, you don't see that often these days, I remember seeing him score on his debut down at the Vetch Field, Swansea on the opening day of that season, the beginning of the Wilkinson era.

Here is a link for that season from Adrian Bullock's Wednesday archive

(1880-1995)

http://adrianbullock.com/swfc/stats/lg1984.htm