Bus service changes in Sheffield - September 2017

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

16-08-2017, 13:18   #21
busdriver1

Total Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudbeer View Post
Decided to risk catching it again today what a performance firstly it nearly failed to make surprise hill stalling twice probably due to the fact it was so old then having to divert by the halamshire on the way back and getting stuck in traffic when I think how good that service used to be it seemed to fly to castleton and back!
The major reduction in reimbursement for carrying OAP's and other concessions coupled in with the PTE retaining BSOG money means operators are trying their best to get more people on all routes to balance the books. This means at times services are diverted to provide more journey opportunities thus increasing usership.
The alternative is to reduce the service. Take your choice. I think you have the better alternative at the minute.
16-08-2017, 21:21   #22
chessie

Total Posts: 33
Anyone using the 271/2 service to get to/from Derbyshire should be thankful the service is on the whole comercially viable enough to continue in some form. If you weren't aware subsidies to bus services are beng significantly cut this side of the border, taking effect in October.

The below announcement has been made today and as much as this article is portrayed positively, in reality it may well see further subsidised scheduled services withdrawn to be replaced with services you must pre book on before you travel:-

http://www.chesterfield.co.uk/2017/0...ed-countywide/

Last edited by chessie; 16-08-2017 at 21:27.
16-08-2017, 22:22   #23
Andy C

Total Posts: 8,301
Note not all the new timetables are published yet, they will only appear on the list at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges/ when they have been so currently the list is not comprehensive.

Some of the buses that cross into Derbyshire such as the 26/26a Crystal Peaks-Kiveton Park, which is getting some extra trips to serve Wales Comp following the end of Brightbus school buses, can be found already on the Derbyshire County Council timetable website here: https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transp...es/default.asp

Also an anomaly I've noticed with the network changes involves the service to Harthill - route 74 is withdrawn Mon-Sat and replaced with the new X54, bus the Sunday service 74 operated by TM Travel funded by SYPTE will continue to run unchanged as a 74 - rather confusing given that there will be a new number 74 from Sheffield to Rotherham (but not on Sundays) and SYPTE have put both 74s in the same leaflet!

---------- Post added 17-08-2017 at 13:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Note not all the new timetables are published yet, they will only appear on the list at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges/ when they have been so currently the list is not comprehensive.

Some of the buses that cross into Derbyshire such as the 26/26a Crystal Peaks-Kiveton Park, which is getting some extra trips to serve Wales Comp following the end of Brightbus school buses, can be found already on the Derbyshire County Council timetable website here: https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transp...es/default.asp

Also an anomaly I've noticed with the network changes involves the service to Harthill - route 74 is withdrawn Mon-Sat and replaced with the new X54, bus the Sunday service 74 operated by TM Travel funded by SYPTE will continue to run unchanged as a 74 - rather confusing given that there will be a new number 74 from Sheffield to Rotherham (but not on Sundays) and SYPTE have put both 74s in the same leaflet!
New timetables now available for:
1, 1a, 2, 3, 3a, 7, 7a, 8, 8a, 18, 18a, 19, 20, 22a, 22c, 24, 25, 26, 26a, 27, 29, 31, 31a, 31b, 32, 35, 36, 38, 38a, 43, 44, 51, 51a, 56, 57, 57a, 72, 72a, 73, 73a, 74, 74a, 75, 76, 81, 82, 83, 83a, 85, 86, 87, 88, 95, 97, 98, 120, 181, 201, 271, 272, 737, X1, X5, X54, X55, X65, X78

Last edited by Andy C; 16-08-2017 at 22:26.
19-08-2017, 18:34   #24
Michael_N

Total Posts: 1,270
I see that from 3rd September, getting from Stocksbridge into the city centre or even Hillsborough is going to be even more of a pain, thanks to Stagecoach reducing the already infrequent 57 service - forcing more people onto the Middlewood tram.

Do people not deserve better, rather than been forced onto the tram at Middlewood?

How many people who commute or even car drivers, would consider using the bus if it was more frequent (like in the days when First ran the 57/58 services, before Stagecoach poached the custom and forced them to withdraw)?
20-08-2017, 09:37   #25
dutch

Total Posts: 3,722
I mentioned earlier (post#5): "Was telling a friend about these changes. His comment was that some people with a tie who probably never take bus themselves got too much time. "

then alexander asked
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander874 View Post
Don't understand this .
It is pretty clear so far the undertone is cost cutting savings, that's done by people with a tie in a boardroom.
20-08-2017, 11:27   #26
SueLee

Total Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_N View Post
I see that from 3rd September, getting from Stocksbridge into the city centre or even Hillsborough is going to be even more of a pain, thanks to Stagecoach reducing the already infrequent 57 service - forcing more people onto the Middlewood tram.

Do people not deserve better, rather than been forced onto the tram at Middlewood?

How many people who commute or even car drivers, would consider using the bus if it was more frequent (like in the days when First ran the 57/58 services, before Stagecoach poached the custom and forced them to withdraw)?
It would appear that Stocksbridge will suffer the same as High Green with a lack of services to Hillsborough - or maybe it will be Hillsborough shops that suffer more. I realised that the 85 from High Green will be halved to every hour, but now that the timetable has appeared, it seems that the 85 will no longer do the loop around High Green, just going to Fosters Way as it does now, but then turning round and returning. This bus is always busy around 8am to 9am with people going to work or college at Hillsborough, and also it is the only way to Sheffield that avoids the yobs going to Eccesfield school, who fill the 1 and 1a buses from 7.30 to 8.45am. I know so many people who are afraid to get the 1 and 1a at these times, and so use the 85. People aren't going to walk from, say Wortley Road to The Fosters. Maybe getting a 1 or 1a going a few stops through High Green to The Fosters may look a good idea to First, but when 85's will only be every hour, the chances of timing it right would be impossible. Unless I am missing something of course ?
20-08-2017, 13:42   #27
speleo1

Total Posts: 3,852
My grandkids catch bus from shirecliffe after school,now this bus will not be on their mormal finishing time,this means they will now have walk or wait an hour for next bus,
21-08-2017, 22:30   #28
Andy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueLee View Post
It would appear that Stocksbridge will suffer the same as High Green with a lack of services to Hillsborough - or maybe it will be Hillsborough shops that suffer more. I realised that the 85 from High Green will be halved to every hour, but now that the timetable has appeared, it seems that the 85 will no longer do the loop around High Green, just going to Fosters Way as it does now, but then turning round and returning. This bus is always busy around 8am to 9am with people going to work or college at Hillsborough, and also it is the only way to Sheffield that avoids the yobs going to Eccesfield school, who fill the 1 and 1a buses from 7.30 to 8.45am. I know so many people who are afraid to get the 1 and 1a at these times, and so use the 85. People aren't going to walk from, say Wortley Road to The Fosters. Maybe getting a 1 or 1a going a few stops through High Green to The Fosters may look a good idea to First, but when 85's will only be every hour, the chances of timing it right would be impossible. Unless I am missing something of course ?
The daytime service on the 57 is being reduced to hourly because Stagecoach have tried running a more frequent half hourly service and with the numbers actually travelling on it that level of service is not financially viable. The Supertramlink service will retain the same frequent service. Additionally note in the daytime the 57 and 201 will be connected together so the same vehicle will run all the way Sheffield-Stocksbridge-Chapeltown. Also note the Sunday service 57 Sheffield-Oughtibridge is withdrawn and replaced by a new service 57a operated by TM Travel which will be a circular service Hillsborough-Middlewood-Oughtibridge-Worral-Hillsborough.

With regards the 85 this will be co-ordinated with the new 35, both running hourly, so a half hourly service is provided from Sheffield and Hillsborough as far as Grenoside, then the 85 runs hourly to High Green and 35 hourly to Meadowhall. Service 85 will be connected together with new service 136 so the same vehicle will run Sheffield-High Green-Rotherham.

Another change you might not have spotted is the Sunday service on the 85 will only run High Green to Hillsborough, with connecting bus or tram into Sheffield.

---------- Post added 21-08-2017 at 22:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by speleo1 View Post
My grandkids catch bus from shirecliffe after school,now this bus will not be on their mormal finishing time,this means they will now have walk or wait an hour for next bus,
Is it Parkwood Academy - there may be other buses - you can download a guide to buses serving the school from September here: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/...demy170717.pdf
01-09-2017, 09:18   #29
fatbusbloke

Total Posts: 1
The ONLY source of full information plus route maps is availablee via the GoTimetable web site.
this will lead to an App for Android phones or a web site for all other devices and platfoms.
Most of the timetables have enhanced infromation, making them easier to understand.
Download and use is FREE.
VASTLY superior to anything else available in the City!
01-09-2017, 14:17   #30
InigoMontoya

Total Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudbeer View Post
Not surprised about the 96 is not used much at all.

However 86 could do with some extra capacity as it can be vey busy at times.
And on Sundays almost as effective as the (non-existent) 96.
_______
A hyena dancing on the grave of a lion
01-09-2017, 15:58   #31
Yog Sothoth

Total Posts: 2,584
Glad the 19 is coming back. However, I do hope that the 18/19 will have more pre-9 a.m. services than the current 0749 number 18, which is the only option for commuters.

Add to that the ludicrous 1640 and 1740 on the reverse route, which are no use to the majority of people who finish at 5.00: I do hope First see sense and put some sensible timings on the service.

A late service to Woodseats might be helpful too. The last number 20 is now at 2315 from Moorfoot, and there used to be various services running to Woodseats after that time, which were lifesavers for me living at Norton Lees, just up the hill. It's like First don't want to cater for people out to see bands or regular pub goers. You'd think it was all about money.
_______
When the stars are right, Yog Sothoth will open The Gate, and the Old Ones will return.
01-09-2017, 17:28   #32
Andy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog Sothoth View Post
Glad the 19 is coming back. However, I do hope that the 18/19 will have more pre-9 a.m. services than the current 0749 number 18, which is the only option for commuters.

Add to that the ludicrous 1640 and 1740 on the reverse route, which are no use to the majority of people who finish at 5.00: I do hope First see sense and put some sensible timings on the service.

A late service to Woodseats might be helpful too. The last number 20 is now at 2315 from Moorfoot, and there used to be various services running to Woodseats after that time, which were lifesavers for me living at Norton Lees, just up the hill. It's like First don't want to cater for people out to see bands or regular pub goers. You'd think it was all about money.
To Woodseats there is a 24 from town at 23.32.

Later buses don't exist because when they did they weren't used and lost money. Taxis are plentiful in Sheffield and people seem happy to pay for them at night.

Buses - use them or lose them is the message really.
04-09-2017, 18:32   #33
1295galaxy

Total Posts: 455
We had the 265 Barnsley -Sheffield bus over 25 years and it was a very reliable service,that could help workers get to work before 6.00am,and some of there bus drivers at the Stage Coach Ecclesfield depot even caught the bus,but now it as been switched to the Number 2 bus and the earliest bus is now 5.50 am from the Moor ,and just shows that Stage Coach have not thought about people starting work early,Why no early bus is totally wrong
04-09-2017, 23:10   #34
Andy C

The earlier bus still runs to Barnsley, it commences from Ecclesfield rather than Sheffield City Centre, presumably due to not enough passengers using it from Sheffield for that section to be viable. There is however a connection available from Sheffield to Ecclesfield on route 1a.

Journey planner - www.travelsouthyorkshire.com

---------- Post added 04-09-2017 at 23:14 ----------

nb - already a thread on this theme here: https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/sho....php?t=1518954

Last edited by Andy C; 04-09-2017 at 23:12.
05-09-2017, 17:27   #35
1295galaxy

Total Posts: 455
Got a email back from stage coach saying that the 265 was not getting enough passages on there early bus,that is why the bus times have been changed
05-09-2017, 18:39   #36
Andy C

On a similar theme but at the other end of the day, First bus 41 now has a last bus from Sheffield Interchange at 22:53 rendering it fairly useless for returning from a night out!
12-09-2017, 20:31   #37
kidneystone

Total Posts: 1,856
If Andy C could explain the 85 route to me I would be very grateful.

On this website http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com it say it goes from Sheffield Interchange to High Green, It does not not mention Chapeltown at all. I rung traveline up on 01709515151 and they assured me that the 85 does not travel through Chapeltown.

On this website https://www.firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire it says it goes from Sheffield Interchange to Thorpe Hesley and it says it goes through Chapeltown. I rung First up and they say it does go through Chapeltown but are not sure of the roads it travels on around Chapepeltown and High Green.

I have seen First 85 busses coming up Lound side from Chapeltown but traveline seem to think i must be seeing things. It is very confusing for me and a lot of people around the Chapeltown/High Green area.
_______
I've been Mortified many times
Sheffield Tram Ride
Sheffield Fire Starter
13-09-2017, 07:26   #38
Andy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneystone View Post
If Andy C could explain the 85 route to me I would be very grateful.

On this website http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com it say it goes from Sheffield Interchange to High Green, It does not not mention Chapeltown at all. I rung traveline up on 01709515151 and they assured me that the 85 does not travel through Chapeltown.

On this website https://www.firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire it says it goes from Sheffield Interchange to Thorpe Hesley and it says it goes through Chapeltown. I rung First up and they say it does go through Chapeltown but are not sure of the roads it travels on around Chapepeltown and High Green.

I have seen First 85 busses coming up Lound side from Chapeltown but traveline seem to think i must be seeing things. It is very confusing for me and a lot of people around the Chapeltown/High Green area.
You can download the network map here: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/...busnetworkmap/

The 85 doesn't go to Chapeltown, it goes to High Green via Grenoside., however when it gets to High Green the bus switches onto service 136 and continues via Chapeltown and Thorpe Hesley to Rotherham. That is explained on the timetable change page at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges/. If you are4 seeing an 85 bus in Chapeltown I would suggest the driver isn't switching his/her destination display correctly.

---------- Post added 13-09-2017 at 07:32 ----------

On another note, in some areas people have more than one operator to choose from, don't forget the Travelmaster range of tickets that work on all buses with options including trams and train also available - these include Citybus, Cidywide, Connect, Connect+ and Getabout.

Details are now available on the new Travelmaster website - www.sytravelmaster.com.
13-09-2017, 09:39   #39
Tavit

Total Posts: 339
Since changing the 85 times, it's now actually quicker for me to walk from town to Hillsborough and back for work , that includes all other alternative bus. How is that ever right?
13-09-2017, 12:24   #40
Gideon

Total Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavit View Post
Since changing the 85 times, it's now actually quicker for me to walk from town to Hillsborough and back for work , that includes all other alternative bus. How is that ever right?
Could be worse. The 201 change in the morning (8.25 to 8.29) basically means I'm now always late for work (as a one per hour service, coming from a train, just getting the earlier one doesn't work.)

So thanks to the transport people, will now probably have to look for a new job.
_______
"What do you expect me to do, talk to them sternly?"
Reply To Topic