Bit of background to start.

- 5+ GCSEs Grade C and above including Maths, English and Science.

- Btec in Design

- HND in Graphic Design completed in 2003

- 2 Children, a 3 year old and a 9 month old

I'm wanting to become a Teacher, working with 3-7 year olds. I have discussed volunteering at my son’s nursery which is attached to our local school.

I have looked into a couple of courses and I am interested in either doing a BA in Early Childhood Studies or Early Years Education (3-7) with QTS. The advantage of the latter is that you become a qualified teacher at the end of the 3 year course whereas the first course I would need to complete that (3 years) and then do a PGCE (1 year).

I have contacted Hallam who have advised that my HND would be considered acceptable for entrance on to the course so I would not need do an Access course. But having an A-level in a one of the Primary Core Subjects MAY be an advantage. I have booked myself on their Open day so hoping to get some answers to my many questions then.

I was considering applying to start in 2016 however, but I am thinking that it might be easier to wait? I am wondering if anyone has studied a full time degree alongside raising children, how hard was it? Would it be better to wait until they are both in school?

The other advantage I could see of waiting until they are older is that it would give me time to do an A-level or maybe other qualifications that might help me. It has been a long time since I studied so I think it would be a good idea to least do something to get me back into formal learning.

Anyone have any advice or wants to share their experience?

I studied a degree part time while working 12 hour shifts plus every second or third Saturday. I chose to go part time with the Open University so I could gain further experience by taking temporary jobs. I could have gone back full time as a mature student but chose not to. I did Environmental Science but did some social Science subjects.

OU isn't an easy option but I liked the flexibility. I could have stopped study with half of my degree units and still ended up with a named diploma. The study units also transfer between other HNC/D and degrees.

I have considered the OU and I have looked at doing a one year course through them as a sort of refresher.

I think that although the OU would probably be better flexibility wise I also think it might mean I am more likely to prioritse looking after my family and the house over doing coursework. Not sure prioritse is the right word, more a case of me wanting to do the course work and life getting in the way. Whereas if I had set lectures I had to attend I would find it easier to be firm as I HAD to do whatever is was on a particular day time. I sound like a right softy don't I? I know that I will need to learn how to get a balance between studying/family life.

EDIT: Thanks for the advice.

Had you considered a CertEd course rather than a PGCE? There are some CertEd courses which come with QTS status, and if you were to do that then you wouldn't need the degree in early years education first.

If you're working round a young family then maybe you could look at doing a couple of relevant A levels or some vocational qualifications whilst volunteering at the nursery and then find a part time CertEd, which takes one year full time or two part time (with a whole load of home-based learning which you can organise for yourself while the children are in bed or whatever).

EDIT- when I was doing my teaching qualifications the PGCE and CertEd part time groups were taught together and did all the same units but had a different scoring system and requirements for assignments. You learn exactly the same things in the two qualifications.

(This is the point at which I hope that CertEds are still offered and still come with QTS status. My quals were 12 years ago and things could have changed since then).

Edited by medusa

What makes you think you don't have set lectures with the OU? You probably have more with full time Uni but to be brutally honest, don't consider any further study unless you can commit mentally, its a waste of time. Juggling life and study isn't easy once you get your own home and move on from being the traditional student straight from your teens.

The OU lower subjects had a local class/lecture on a weekly basis. They were more like a class as they were more interactive and more personal than traditional lectures. I had to travel to Leeds for my tutorials, lectures and practical lab sessions but then I did for full and part time HNC/D as there wasn't the demand in Sheffield.

@Medusa - Having looked into it it appears that the CertEd if for 16+ education, whereas I am looking at teaching Primary aged children. Unless I have got this wrong?

@Chez2 - This is the first time I have really wanted to do something since wanting to become a Graphic Designer. But at the same time I have to look after my children and I know getting the balance right will be hard, I'm sure that a lot of mature students struggle with at least to start with until they find a way of studying round children.

I thought that the idea with the OU was it was more flexible study wise but maybe I am wrong on that. I like the idea of actually attending a university because of having other students around me too. I thought that with a traditional university it would easier for my family (including wider family) to get their head round that I need to do coursework for by a particular date. If I went the OU route they may think it is more flexible as I did and may think I can postpone studying.

My plan at the moment is to do a Access course through the OU even though I have been told I don't need to. I think this will help me learn how to manage my time.

@Medusa - Having looked into it it appears that the CertEd if for 16+ education, whereas I am looking at teaching Primary aged children. Unless I have got this wrong?

@Chez2 - This is the first time I have really wanted to do something since wanting to become a Graphic Designer. But at the same time I have to look after my children and I know getting the balance right will be hard, I'm sure that a lot of mature students struggle with at least to start with until they find a way of studying round children.

I thought that the idea with the OU was it was more flexible study wise but maybe I am wrong on that. I like the idea of actually attending a university because of having other students around me too. I thought that with a traditional university it would easier for my family (including wider family) to get their head round that I need to do coursework for by a particular date. If I went the OU route they may think it is more flexible as I did and may think I can postpone studying.

My plan at the moment is to do a Access course through the OU even though I have been told I don't need to. I think this will help me learn how to manage my time.

Please take this the right way; you need to understand what you can and can't do, what you can and can't compromise on then look in detail at each course. It seems to me that you are putting obstacles in your way without understanding the requirements of OU. How would your family know the requirements of each course? OU study is flexible in that you decide how many units to do each year and how long it take you do complete a degree. As with everything in life, there are deadlines.

Most of my further and higher education has been day release or OU. I have has my tutorials, classes and lectures mixed in with full timers and part timers due to lack of demand for the courses I have studied. I also completed my last year of the OU full time while doing a serious total renovation (read total rebuild) of the house.

I did a foundation course to make sure I brushed up on my skills even though I had only done my HNC eight years previously. A foundation course does help and the units still counted. I don't know if OU suits you course wise, just want to make things clear as you don't seem to have the OU clear in your head.

I would only advise you study one 60 point or one 30 point unit per year maximum at first. I studied two 30 point units in one year while working full time and its much more than one 60 point unit due to the number of assignments that need to be done for certain deadlines. For my final year I studied 120 points full time.

See if there is a short course you can do to see how you can fit study around your family. Its twenty years since I looked at teacher training so I can't help you there. I decided not to become a science teacher so didn't do specific teacher training.

A few years ago I worked with a teaching assistant at a challenging secondary school. At the time she had two young children, but she managed to put in 15+ hours per week in a support/cover teaching role - whilst studying a degree and, later, GTP. Not an easy route to take, but it can be done (and I'm told she's an excellent teacher).

Your circumstances perhaps aren't as unusual as you might think: you will likely find other students on the course facing similar childcare commitments, with comparable academic records, who may have experienced lengthy spells out of education. Studying with a family will be a challenge, but my feeling is you can find a way to make it work if you're determined.

Despite knowing little about your ability, I'm tempted to say avoid prolonging your studies with Access courses - unless specifically advised to do so. Attend the open day, ask lots of questions about the demands of the course, and talk to students/graduates about their experiences. The best advice I could offer is remain positive: if it's what you want, go for it.

Thanks for the advice Agent ****.

I feel like I want to strike while the iron is hot and I don't want to postpone. I think if I put it off too long then life will get in the way but at the same time I've got the think about the practicalities of having two young children.

I have a lot of questions to ask especially about how much studying is required at the university itself as I would need to find childcare. I wouldn't have called my HND time "full-time" in the sense of the time I was actually required to be at college, although I did plenty outside of college, but I don't know if it will be different at Uni.

Not sure if an A-level would help though my application, need to find out about that too.

I was hoping I wouldn't be the only mature student and I registered an interest in their return to learning drop in session.

Hello Love2print, I just thought I'd post as I'm in a similar situation to you and thought I may be able to help.

As a quick background, I have an 11 year old son and cannot work as he still needs care (he is autistic). Hopefully as he gets older he will be able to be more independent and I decided I'd like to get into teaching, preferably working with autistic children myself either in a special school or becoming a SENCO within a school.

I left school with very little in the way of qualifications and so did an OU Access course last year in Arts and Languages to test the water and surprised myself by really enjoying it! I have just completed my first year of a BA Humanities (Art History and Religious Studies) and again, I'm really enjoying it. Personally, I'm sure you would cope. There are lots of people on the course who have young children and we all manage to muddle through. There are lectures and day schools which you are invited to attend BUT they are not compulsory. You can still complete your course without attending them. For instance, the Day Schools are held about once every three months in Leeds. Because of other commitments I've not been able to attend any of them. Lectures were held once a month at Hallam Uni for two hours on a Tuesday night and you are given the dates at the beginning of the year giving you plenty of time to arrange childcare. Nevertheless, I didn't manage to attend many of them, but my tutor put all handouts and a summary of what was discussed on our forum, so it was fine.

Please feel free to pm me if you want to ask any questions. But I'm sure you'd manage, and there's a wealth of info on the Open Uni website.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the advice Agent ****.

I feel like I want to strike while the iron is hot and I don't want to postpone. I think if I put it off too long then life will get in the way but at the same time I've got the think about the practicalities of having two young children.

I have a lot of questions to ask especially about how much studying is required at the university itself as I would need to find childcare. I wouldn't have called my HND time "full-time" in the sense of the time I was actually required to be at college, although I did plenty outside of college, but I don't know if it will be different at Uni.

Not sure if an A-level would help though my application, need to find out about that too.

I was hoping I wouldn't be the only mature student and I registered an interest in their return to learning drop in session.

See Frenchie's post.

I did my MBA through the OU for not dissimilar reasons; mine was more not wanting to go back into full time education as I was recently married with our first child on the way.

I'd seriously consider the Open University because their methodology and support infrastructure is second to none; but a health warning, you will have recurring nightmares about TMAs for the rest of your life :hihi:

All the best for whatever you choose.

Edited by steveroberts
typo

I'm not pushing the OU but there were a lot of students with 'issues' on my courses. These ranged from heavy work commitments, single parents or people with special needs. Their needs ranged from medical conditions, mobility issues, learning disabilities and various demanding caring responsibilities.

Computers weren't so popular when I studied (1995-2000) so its much easier now.

You are assigned one or more tutors if you need to speak to someone at any point outside of lessons/lectures/tutorials. Mine was never available at times that fitted in with my shifts and working pattern as I was at work pretty much all day, night and often at weekends too but the OU found me another tutor who I could speak to as and when I needed to. They even made sure someone else marked my essay assignments so she didn't take it personally and mark me down. I found them very fair.

Some of our assignments were projects that we could collaborate on. We couldn't copy but we could work together. They arranged the study groups after taking into consideration our experience, location and the times we were likely to be available to meet up.

If you are in a tight spot financially there is still more help with books and fees are still cheaper than the traditional full time Uni route. I wouldn't be so quick to recommenced the OU route to someone straight from school but otherwise its great, they are so flexible. You can pick to attend any Poly/Uni/College where your lectures or exams are held, you don't have to go in your own region. I should have been in the midlands region as I lived in Worksop at the time but I attended Rotherham, Leeds and Sheffield.

Steve - do you still remember your student number? I do....:hihi: