Bus service changes in Sheffield - September 2017

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

13-09-2017, 12:54   #41
DnAuK

Total Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
The earlier bus still runs to Barnsley, it commences from Ecclesfield rather than Sheffield City Centre, presumably due to not enough passengers using it from Sheffield for that section to be viable. There is however a connection available from Sheffield to Ecclesfield on route 1a.

Journey planner - www.travelsouthyorkshire.com

---------- Post added 04-09-2017 at 23:14 ----------

nb - already a thread on this theme here: https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/sho....php?t=1518954
Going to be honest, the change from the 265 to the 2 is one of the best things that's happened in recent years for me. The old pre-7am bus into Barnsley centre used to JUST miss the train connection into Sheffield resulting in a half-hour wait. Not it runs 6 mins earlier it connects great. Plus, if I'm lazy and decide to catch the bus in, it runs earlier back into Sheffield too, and all the way up Arundel Gate now so goes past where I work, meaning I get into work earlier whichever way I come. I am also looking forward to being able to get a bus (almost) door to door from home to the Beer Engine or Dev Cat now it loops around the market. And a good friend of mine who often leaves Beer Central with a rusksack full is delighted that he won't have to lug it to the bus station any more.

Compare that to the last big chance when Stagecoach dropped all the non-peak services to TM Travel, making a weekly/monthly pass no longer viable for many people and doubling what they had to pay to travel.

However, I do understand these changes won't suit everyone - especially those on or over the Derbyshire border. But as Andy says - use them or lose them. For those complaining that their last bus back is before 11, spare a thought for those of us who have to cope with before 10!
_______
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then you will lose on experience.
13-09-2017, 14:11   #42
Green68

Total Posts: 16
No bus now on Shiregreen Lane??

A main rd with a school, cemetery, Wmc, and dentist on it.

Is this right?
13-09-2017, 16:16   #43
Andy C

Total Posts: 8,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green68 View Post

Is this right?
Just school buses 681, 736 and 779.

Newman Road/Wincobank Avenue has route 3 and Bellhouse Road has 75/76.
13-09-2017, 17:10   #44
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Total Posts: 14,738
One day, the bus operators will realise the effect of this constant (4 times a year) tweaking of services.
Potential passengers cannot keep track and inexorably stop using the services.
13-09-2017, 17:46   #45
Resident

Total Posts: 4,070
To summarise in one sentence:

Services are to become worse, expect a fare rise within 3 months.
_______
As a child I had an imaginary friend, then I grew up and stopped going to church.
13-09-2017, 23:58   #46
mikita

Total Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green68 View Post

Is this right?
https://www.hpacde.org.uk/pictureshe...eld/s19455.jpg

Isn't that the number 2.....
On a serious note what about the people that also need to get to the Sports Centre and Ncsem NHS facility behind it. But more importantly Haythorne Place Nursing Home. Surely the local Councillor for the area Mr Price can pull some strings and get the service back
14-09-2017, 06:59   #47
Tavit

Total Posts: 341
Who ever tweaks these times should try using them for a month to get from a to b. Not everyone works 9 to 5.
14-09-2017, 18:59   #48
Andy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
https://www.hpacde.org.uk/pictureshe...eld/s19455.jpg

Isn't that the number 2.....
On a serious note what about the people that also need to get to the Sports Centre and Ncsem NHS facility behind it. But more importantly Haythorne Place Nursing Home. Surely the local Councillor for the area Mr Price can pull some strings and get the service back
If the service was withdrawn due to ticket sales being too low to cover costs and the local authority not deeming it socially necessary enough to subsidise then presumably such people are few in numbers.
15-09-2017, 16:13   #49
SYorksDeano

Total Posts: 5,526
Send a message via MSN to SYorksDeano Send a message via Skype™ to SYorksDeano
Interesting article in The Star (Yeah I know I'm shocked as well), which confirms that NO public consultation took place http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/exclus...tion-1-8749555

I love the bit from First that says ""97 per cent of passengers" will see that the level of service is the same or has improved.". How does he know if no one was asked?
_______
It makes me laugh when people think that you don't know that they are following you online.....
22-09-2017, 13:32   #50
Andy1988rx

Total Posts: 1
I just wondered what everyone else's opinion on the current running of buses in Sheffield? following the new timetable it appears that less buses are running, meaning that when one does actually come more often than not you are left standing leaving it difficult for people to get on and off! Also I wondered if the remaining double decker buses had been sold off? as nearly all the buses that pass me by are singles
22-09-2017, 23:03   #51
Andy C

There are some further tweaks to some First bus timetables from this coming Monday to adjust provision of services to schools reflecting unexpected changes in demand from the last school year.

https://www.firstgroup.com/south-yor...september-2017
07-10-2017, 08:52   #52
busymum3

Total Posts: 220
I use the number 3 bus to Wincobank school twice a day. If buses are taken off due to lack of use then I can understand that. But the number 3 at school pick up drop /off times covers 4 schools. The buses are standing room only once they get to Firth Park. They used to be every 10 minutes at peak times. Now only every 20 minutes plus that''s if they turn up at all. Absolute jam packed. A little lad in a wheelchair gets on near Hinderwell House school, said two buses were full before he managed to get on. He'd been there 45 minutes. I had to get a taxi to pick up yesterday due to a missing bus. Ridiculous.

---------- Post added 07-10-2017 at 08:53 ----------

I mean Hinde House school!
07-10-2017, 11:14   #53
Angela P

Total Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1988rx View Post
I just wondered what everyone else's opinion on the current running of buses in Sheffield? following the new timetable it appears that less buses are running, meaning that when one does actually come more often than not you are left standing leaving it difficult for people to get on and off! Also I wondered if the remaining double decker buses had been sold off? as nearly all the buses that pass me by are singles
Unfortunately the remaining double decker buses have not been sold off, the new number 19 route uses them. They are also on the 56 route.
07-10-2017, 11:32   #54
1295galaxy

Total Posts: 472
After Stagecoach changed the 265 to number 2,i am just getting to work on time in Ecclesfield catching the First 1A bus,but the other day i missed the 1A and asked a taxi driver the cost of getting me to Ecclesfield and he said 12-16,so instead of paying that,i got to work late instead,the bus companies do not seem to realise that people start work at 6.00am,and even the drivers still stop for a break instead of carrying on to there destinations,and say there working to there time tables,but there less traffic in the morning so its the only time they can work to there time tables until the cars hits the roads
08-10-2017, 09:12   #55
NERVY-OWL

Total Posts: 11,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1295galaxy View Post
After Stagecoach changed the 265 to number 2,i am just getting to work on time in Ecclesfield catching the First 1A bus,but the other day i missed the 1A and asked a taxi driver the cost of getting me to Ecclesfield and he said 12-16,so instead of paying that,i got to work late instead,the bus companies do not seem to realise that people start work at 6.00am,and even the drivers still stop for a break instead of carrying on to there destinations,and say there working to there time tables,but there less traffic in the morning so its the only time they can work to there time tables until the cars hits the roads
Drivers can't leave a timing point early, it can be classed as gross misconduct if caught. Obviously with less traffic on the road theres less to slow them down so are more likely to have to wait in the early hours
Reply To Topic