House/home Insurance

Buying my first house...never had home insurance before, I just want a basic, one against fire...can i buy that, who do folks use, is it a easy process..i know nothing!!

You can't really get a specific policy that only covers fire. Are you going to be a homeowner with a mortgage or tenant? Is the property a flat or a house?

If you are having a mortgage, it's probably a policy regulation from your mortgage company/bank to have buildings insurance.

You should be able to get one within a decent range of £50-£150.

Most comparison websites will give you quotes on buildings insurance.

Anyone- whether a cash buyer of financing by borrowing a mortgage advance- should of course insure.

BUT:

a. the rules are different if it's a flat; and

b. if it's a leasehold house, have your solicitor check the lease in case choice of insurance is restricted.

Thx for the replies, Jeff, its a leasehold house, as many are in Sheffield, a quirk of this city, you may know why, something to do wit hold landowners...i think AA is OK...about 250

Thx for the replies, Jeff, its a leasehold house, as many are in Sheffield, a quirk of this city, you may know why, something to do wit hold landowners...i think AA is OK...about 250

But what counts is whether and how the lease covenants limit your choice of insurer.

Example: Coppen will never allow house insurance other than via its own agency with Royal & Sun Alliance at Huddersfield [used to be at Glasgow]. Failure to comply lands a leaseholder with a £45 per year penalty.

"Failure to comply"!!! what rubbish its just a forced admin charge, words like "comply" sound not be thrown around, besides The Commonhold And Leasehold Reform Act 2002 will means landowners cannot have a say in which building insurance company a householder uses, provided it is with a reputable company and notice of the details is given to the ground landlord

The Commonhold And Leasehold Reform Act 2002 will means landowners cannot have a say in which building insurance company a householder uses, provided it is with a reputable company and notice of the details is given to the ground landlord

Yes. By serving a Notice every year complying with s.164, the leaseholder can escape the insurance covenant and any consent/waiver fee.

Yeah seems a simple form, and absolves the leaseholder from being bound by any such free/landowner covenents...but, who knows , im hearing some horror stories