Arnold Booth and Sons

Do any of the members have any knowledge of the metal foundry called Arnold Booth and Sons or any of his living descendants...thank you

If that's the Arnold Booths on John Street I worked there for a while in the late sixties.

I recall we used to do work with and for Lees from time to time, going on this I would assume that Lees have taken over and perhaps closed Booths down.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjvvunrjbzWAhVlLcAKHf7gDisQFggyMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbeta.companieshouse.gov.uk%2Fcompany%2F00375847%2Ffiling-history&usg=AFQjCNHTU74G7x0P6hgb4oZnPrhimTaI_Q

Owned and run by two brothers who were decent blokes Michael Booth was the son and would be in his mid seventies now.

The building is still there but doesn't look as if it's in constant use.

If anyone has a prewar Kelly Directory could they look up Arnold Booth & Sons and give the details ...Thank you in advance

I don’t know if this is the right firm, but the 1931 Kelly’s Directory shows "A. Booth & Son" at 19 Cambridge Street under "Metal Spinners" in the classified section, and "Arnold Booth, silver spinner (A. Booth & Son)" at 5 Roach Road.

Thanks Hillsboro .....ever little bit helps to my research,.

The 1940 Kelly's Directory now shows A. Booth & Son of 19 Cambridge Street as "aluminium castings". The "1939 Register" shows Arnold Booth at 11 Wharncliffe Road with Arnold (born 1876) and his son Douglas A. Booth (born 1904) both described as aluminium spinners. Arnold Booth evidently died in 1943.

Edited by hillsbro
speling....

That last bit is most interesting ....more bits to add to my jig saw...much obliged

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - 31 January 1911.

A. Booth & Son

A new enterprise for Sheffield in the form of spun and, more particularly, cast

aluminium cooker ware comprises the exhibit of A. Booth & Son, Central Works,

Cambridge Street.

(There is then a long list of goods produced)

Their holloware finds favour among food purveyors. At the Phoenix Foundry,

Carver Street, the firm makes brass castings for the engineering trades.

Arnold Booth and his wife Alice Elizabeth, only appear to have had two sons.

Douglas Arnold Booth, born born 1904 and Nigel Argyll Booth born 1909.

Douglas A. Booth married Vera G. Karey, 1942.

I can't find any children from this marriage.

Nigel Argyle Booth married Dora Hardy in 1934. They are on the 1939 register at

106 Penrhyn Road, Sheffield.

They appear to have had two children, MIchael D. Booth born 1945 and

Alan G. Booth born 1950.

Nigel died in 1982 aged 72yrs and is buried in Abbey Lane Cemetery.

There is a marriage in 1993 for a Alan G. Booth to Wendy Axe.

Electoral Registers 2002-14.

Alan G. Booth, 8 Everard Glade, Sheffield S17 4NG.

Other occupants: Marcelle Booth and Simon Booth.

A big thank you all that have added all this information on Arnold Booth and his family...it has helped me great deal in my research......keep it coming

I realise this is an old topic but I just signed up!  My wife is the daughter of Douglas A Booth. Doug was married to Vera G Varney. Doug and Vera are both dead now.  I would be greatful for any pictures of the Cambridge St works if anyone has them.

On 17/11/2019 at 01:26, Hedgepig254 said:

I realise this is an old topic but I just signed up!  My wife is the daughter of Douglas A Booth. Doug was married to Vera G Varney. Doug and Vera are both dead now.  I would be greatful for any pictures of the Cambridge St works if anyone has them.

[email protected] for more information on Arnold Booth....would your wife be a Dorothy Booth?

Edited by trevwoff
wrong name

Christopher D Frown/Brown  who married Dorothy Booth ....I would like to hear from him or get his contact details....mine is [email protected].