Lesbian and Gay Sheffield Scene

Guest Guest

Hi all!

Well I've just recently moved to Sheffield and as you could probably guess I'd like to get involved with the gay scene and what's happeneing in Sheffield, so I thought this would be great to find out! Are there many pubs or clubs here suited to the gay scene? We seem to be discriminated against in so many cities, especially Norwich where I hail from. I'd love to find out more, hope to hear your replies - what about you Richard Moderator do you know any gay bars?

Thanks all - Nancy XXX

There's one near the Train station called The Cossak which is a gay bar. Other than that I dont know of any. I do know of a Sheffield Student's Union club night, once a month on a Friday they run Climax, a gay/bi/lesbian night. The Union has quite an "in your face" LGB group who I guess will help you and will certainly know more than I do. Their web page is http://usitweb.shef.ac.uk/~lgb/ In fact I notice a link near the bottom of the page which looks like it could be very helpful to you.

Aled Jones, a BA from the Radio 1 Chris Moyles show is in Sheffield quite a lot, you could try asking him, he can be contacted via the chrismoyles.net messageboard.

He is gay before you ask.

Freedom (near John Lewis/Cole Brothers) is a gay club and Dempseys at the end of The Moor. Alternatively you can check the Sheffield Telegraph (comes out on Friday's - no pun intended :lol: ) for what's on.

Where is that now. Since it moved from the Charles St building. Thought it had just closed down.

Ooh not sure. I got this info from a friend who goes out with her gay mate. I need to check my information!

Originally posted by Lou

Freedom (near John Lewis/Cole Brothers) is a gay club and Dempseys at the end of The Moor. Alternatively you can check the Sheffield Telegraph (comes out on Friday's - no pun intended :lol: ) for what's on.

Dempseys is 'gay'? i thought it was were you could get a drink if you were underage!

To the best of my knowledge a friend was at Dempseys last Friday, so it's probably safe to assume it's still there. From what he said I gather it is part of the gay scene.

Problem is, it might be a bit of a dodgy area to send someone new to the city...

Originally posted by Guest

Hi all!

Well I've just recently moved to Sheffield and as you could probably guess I'd like to get involved with the gay scene and what's happeneing in Sheffield, so I thought this would be great to find out! Are there many pubs or clubs here suited to the gay scene? We seem to be discriminated against in so many cities, especially Norwich where I hail from. I'd love to find out more, hope to hear your replies - what about you Richard Moderator do you know any gay bars?

Thanks all - Nancy XXX

When are you coming out of the closet? (I mean to join the forum board full as a member of course! Doh!:o )

Maybe Norwich discriminates because they all listen to Alan Partridge and his early morning breakfast show? :lol:

1StraightMan&HisBMW

theres always fairy likuid at the town hall the last friday of every month or club xces (which is in the middle of nowhere!) dempseys is pretty "straight" before six o clock so im told

Originally posted by Guest

Hi all!

Thanks all - Nancy XXX

OOH no thank you ducky, I'm not a lad like that !!!

The gay scene in Sheffield is pretty poor. The best place in town in Dempseys, which has a nightclub at night and is open till 2am every day. The place is really friendly and where most of the gay scene seems to go. The Cossak is next in town, but its small and looks seedy, but gay and friendly all the same. There is Club Excess and Ma Bakers on Carlise Street, bit of a way to get to, but good for the weekend. Club Excess doesnt shut till 3/4am at wkend either but doesnt sell alcohol after 2am. Climax is held every month at the Union building nr the Childrens Hospital, its fun and very big. Fairy is every month too, thats very big as its held at the city hall ballroom. Only one bar though and a bit expensive. Dabble is a new night held at The leadmill which i have heard to be excellent. And once in a while The Leadmill holds Poptastic.

<gasping for breath> so there you go, info for the gay scene from someone on the gayscene.