Shocked Sheffield student asked by cops if she 'shaved her body hair'

Shocking story.

Shocked Sheffield mixed race student asked by cops if she 'shaved her body hair'

Tuesday 03 October 2017

University of Sheffield student who was caught up in the Westminster terror attack said she was later subjected to a 'degrading interview' by police. Miriam Walker-Khan, 23, was visiting Parliament with around 40 fellow journalism students when Khalid Masood launched his deadly terrorist attack in March. The students were in lockdown in Portcullis House as police dealt with the incident before Ms Walker-Khan gave a statement to officers. Days later, she was visited at her home in Sheffield by two-counter terrorism detectives from West Yorkshire Police on behalf of Scotland Yard. The 23-year-old, a BBC trainee sports journalist, told the BBC she was the only one in her class to be interviewed by counter terrorism officers at home. Ms Walker-Khan, who is part-Pakistani, said: "The first question was to describe my ethnic appearance. I was like 'What on earth is an ethnic appearance?, that doesn't really exist.' "She said the answers are like black, Hispanic, African, Asian and I said I wasn't any of these things. There wasn't a mixed one. "The next four questions were about body hair and facial hair. They asked me to describe what my body hair was and the options were shaved, waxed, hairy, trimmed. "She was looking at my body and at that point I asked why these questions were on a form for a witness statement and she said they asked everyone." According to experts, some Islamic attackers have shaved their body hair as part of a ritual to purify themselves before an attack. The former student said she was 'baffled' by the questions, including being asked to describe her eyebrows. She said: "Those questions to me were so degrading and the fact that I had been contacted when nobody else had, it became really obvious what was going on. "I felt like I was being treated as a criminal." Miriam told the BBC that she did not make a formal complaint afterwards as she did not believe it would make a difference. West Yorkshire Police said that they had contacted Miriam to discuss her concerns. Scotland Yard told the Daily Mail that the questions were a 'genuine, isolated error'.

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/shocked-sheffield-student-asked-by-cops-if-she-shaved-her-body-hair-after-terror-attack-1-8784895

Why?

The ethnicity questions are set by the government for recording and are normally asked by all forces when recording someone's details.

You can answer them or not.

As for the body hair question I wouldn't know. There is obviously a very good reason for asking that is beyond you or my understanding.

You are ok with what she had to endure.??

I'm not

It was a few questions, not waterboarding.

Its not even worth reporting.

It was a few questions, not waterboarding.

Its not even worth reporting.

And that's why she never reported it to the relevant authority

You are ok with what she had to endure.??

I'm not

Most of the female militants getting caught up in terrorism are unshaven, so I suspect the police were just profiling.

Perhaps you should email Amber Rudd and let her know how unhappy you are with this. Her email address is privateoffice [dot] external [at] homeoffice [dot] gsi [dot] gov [dot] uk

Good luck :thumbsup:

Shocking story.

Shocked Sheffield mixed race student asked by cops if she 'shaved her body hair'

Fixed that for ya.

I hope it doesn't put anyone off coming forward as a witness to anything in the future:(

I hope it doesn't put anyone off coming forward as a witness to anything in the future:(

Me too ....

She didn't come forward as a witness. The article says the police came after her for questioning.

Another thread started just as a copy of a news story. Without input or comment it is against forum rules.

It is known that Islamic suicide attackers clean off all body hair in order to facilitate their entry into paradise.

In the immediate questioning after the Westminster attack, why would one get ones knickers in a twist about how the officers try to secure a situation?

---------- Post added 03-10-2017 at 21:43 ----------

Oh. She didn't have to"endure" anything.

She answered questions from a questionnaire.

In the immediate questioning after the Westminster attack, why would one get ones knickers in a twist about how the officers try to secure a situation?

Because political correctness is a sacred value if you're on the left.