Visitiors / Tourist Bus Fares

I've lived in Sheffield now 18 years and I've often wondered why Tourist have not used the city as a doorway to Yorkshire and the Peaks. I always considered the poor state of the roads as an immediate negative , bumps and poor maintenance etc. But discovered today that visitors with families have to pay full bus fares for children from 5years old! Wherever I've been in the world and UK I never found this .... ok I've not had to pay for children for some time , but even being of a certain age I've always been offered concessions for old gits. My 12 year old Granddaughter from Canada has to pay full fare in Sheffield. Am I naive? Is Sheffield alone in this? Genuine question (Trolls & grammar police keep away as I will give you a good ignoring....!)

In most areas of the UK the local authorities do not subsidise children's travel at all. If there are child fares it's because the bus companies choose to provide a discount.

In South Yorkshire, SYPTE pays the bus companies to provide children with an 80p fare. This is only available to residents. It's funded by the local councils who would have to pay more to provide cheap travel for non-resident children (most of whom would be not tourists but residents of adjacent counties like Derbyshire).

Tourists can buy the family tickets though

Guest sibon

And tourists can access child fares too.

Went to Manchester last week. Free bus service every 10 mins. All round city, fantastic service. Manchester Town centre shames Sheffield.

Went to Manchester last week. Free bus service every 10 mins. All round city, fantastic service. Manchester Town centre shames Sheffield.

We used to have that.

My mom and dad visiting go for free sometime, tram thinks they have a pass. They hold their wallet ready but are ignored and told it's ok.

Not for over 11s.

I've lived in Sheffield now 18 years and I've often wondered why Tourist have not used the city as a doorway to Yorkshire and the Peaks. I always considered the poor state of the roads as an immediate negative , bumps and poor maintenance etc. But discovered today that visitors with families have to pay full bus fares for children from 5years old! Wherever I've been in the world and UK I never found this .... ok I've not had to pay for children for some time , but even being of a certain age I've always been offered concessions for old gits. My 12 year old Granddaughter from Canada has to pay full fare in Sheffield. Am I naive? Is Sheffield alone in this? Genuine question (Trolls & grammar police keep away as I will give you a good ignoring....!)

I think it's more likely that visitors to the Peaks or the Yorkshire Dales want to stay in those areas rather than a city up to two hours away. Let's face it, Sheffield doesn't really have a lot to appeal to tourists.

How would we know they were tourists?

How would we know they were tourists?

If they do not have MegaTravel Card, issued by SYPT, an over-11 may be charged full fare.

You need a Pte pass to access child fares if the child is over 11 - tbc

Guest busdriver1

So people are going to travel around the world then get on a local bus? Dont think so.

---------- Post added 08-07-2017 at 08:19 ----------

A network of free buses round the city centre does not actually prove anything about tourist travel, but does show how a major city looks after its environment.