Should Sheffield introduce new byelaws for "No Vehicle Idling"?

And what about the 1000s of cars that come down the parkway everyday idling in heavy traffic???? It's only targeted outside schools because of the kids. Otherwise it's impossible to enforce. Unless you make every manufacturer fit cars with stop/start.

Edited by Event Horizo

Should parents be fined for leaving cars running outside schools in Sheffield to try to cut down on toxic fumes?

BBC Article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-40509952

Survey:

https://sheffield.citizenspace.com/place-business-strategy/no-vehicle-idling/

The authorities can't even keep a lid on the horrendous parking by lazy parents outside schools, I think a few engines running is the least of their worries.

---------- Post added 06-07-2017 at 11:58 ----------

Unless you make every manufacturer fit cars with stop/start.

Alot do now, but to be fair it's actually more of a dodge for the emissions testing that it does for real world vehicle emissions.

And what about the 1000s of cars that come down the parkway everyday idling in heavy traffic???? It's only targeted outside schools because of the kids. Otherwise it's impossible to enforce. Unless you make every manufacturer fit cars with stop/start.

There's a clear difference between being in traffic and having pulled up but keeping the engine running, don't you think?

It could be enforced at the train station, where there's usually lines of taxis belching out diesel fumes!

The idea that people can be fined should make some turn off their engines whether it is practical to enforce in any serious way is debatable. However, with a law in place, people will also feel slightly emboldened to ask people to turn off their engines.

The authorities can't even keep a lid on the horrendous parking by lazy parents outside schools, I think a few engines running is the least of their worries.

As above.

---------- Post added 06-07-2017 at 11:58 ----------

Alot do now, but to be fair it's actually more of a dodge for the emissions testing that it does for real world vehicle emissions.

Does it not actually work?

It could be enforced at the train station, where there's usually lines of taxis belching out diesel fumes!

Taxis and buses definitely need to be included.

Guest makapaka

Trying to address issue that doesn't exist. I think it's ridiculous.

I'm all for encouraging parents not to drive kids to school where possible.

I have never noticed an issue with people leaving their cars running - it's rare you see anyone doing that these days - particulary with the cost of fuel for one.

Agreed.

Also what about the trains at the station that sit for hours with engines ticking over and belching out diesel fumes? It's not as if most of these are modern, they are old stock with badly worn engines.

Got some real grief for asking a driver to switch his engine off. Why does driving make people so angry and unpleasant.

Trying to address issue that doesn't exist. I think it's ridiculous.

I'm all for encouraging parents not to drive kids to school where possible.

I have never noticed an issue with people leaving their cars running - it's rare you see anyone doing that these days - particulary with the cost of fuel for one.

It does exist. I don't spend much time outside schools but even where I live I'd say there is at least once occasion every single week when either a taxi, delivery van or, generally, some other workman sits with their engine running for 10 minutes plus.

Got some real grief for asking a driver to switch his engine off. Why does driving make people so angry and unpleasant.

It is the people not you or the driving that makes people angry.

Agreed.

Also what about the trains at the station that sit for hours with engines ticking over and belching out diesel fumes? It's not as if most of these are modern, they are old stock with badly worn engines.

What about them?

I don't get this sort of statement. Someone says something like "we could end world hunger" and someone else comes back with, "well, what about poverty and disease?"... Huh?

The fact that trains sit with the engine running doesn't stop us doing something about parked cars with idling engines does it? If you want to do something about trains, do it, just hope that nobody pops up and says "well, what about all the idling cars"...

---------- Post added 06-07-2017 at 13:36 ----------

According to Dudley council it's already an offence

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/business/environmental-health/pollution-control/air-quality/vehicle-air-pollution/

Guest makapaka
It does exist. I don't spend much time outside schools but even where I live I'd say there is at least once occasion every single week when either a taxi, delivery van or, generally, some other workman sits with their engine running for 10 minutes plus.

It is the people not you or the driving that makes people angry.

It was parents at schools that i was referring to.