How many executors can you have in a will ?

Not quite sure which part of sf to post this question in. Most people have two executors in a will but what if the executors die first. ? Wouldn't it be better to have 3 or 4 ? Your answers would be much appreciated.

I read somewhere to say that it's "up to four executors to act at a time, but they all have to act jointly so it might not be practical to appoint that many people."

You do have to be very precise of which executor is responsible for what if you want to appoint more than one. Also how do you want them to act on your behalf? Jointly or severally?

Edited by kymama
additional info

I read somewhere to say that it's "up to four executors to act at a time, but they all have to act jointly so it might not be practical to appoint that many people."

You do have to be very precise of which executor is responsible for what if you want to appoint more than one. Also how do you want them to act on your behalf? Jointly or severally?

Thank you for your helpful reply I will pass the information on to my friend.

You can do something like. " I appoint Fred and Judith as my executors, but if neither of them is willing or able to act then I appoint Tom and Emma." Note that the Executors you appoint will not necessarily feel able to act at the time of your death and are not obliged to do so. If you appoint four, say, executors what may happen is that they all agree that one or two of them will act with the others being in reserve. Then again, there could be arguments about who should act if your executors do not trust each other, so specifying an order of preference may be beneficial.

You can do something like. " I appoint Fred and Judith as my executors, but if neither of them is willing or able to act then I appoint Tom and Emma." Note that the Executors you appoint will not necessarily feel able to act at the time of your death and are not obliged to do so. If you appoint four, say, executors what may happen is that they all agree that one or two of them will act with the others being in reserve. Then again, there could be arguments about who should act if your executors do not trust each other, so specifying an order of preference may be beneficial.

It is not a will for myself but for my friend who has asked for my advice. Her executors would be all related to each other.

Not quite sure which part of sf to post this question in. Most people have two executors in a will but what if the executors die first. ? Wouldn't it be better to have 3 or 4 ? Your answers would be much appreciated.

Post #2 is more or less accurate. But the testator can nominate any quantity. That makes it possible for one or more to 'reserve power' (i.e. to let other/others deal with it). Example: nominating all the partners in a large firm of solicitors.

There is a limit of four re who can actually take the Grant of Probate UNLESS it's a charitable trust [no limit].

I have been asked this question yet again by another one of my elderly neighbours so looks like the answer to my original question is that you can have up to four executors . Is this correct ? Also they wouldn’t have to be too old would they ?

I have been asked this question yet again by another one of my elderly neighbours so looks like the answer to my original question is that you can have up to four executors . Is this correct ? Also they wouldn’t have to be too old would they ?

Age shouldn't be a barrier providing they're mobile enough to visit the various places you need to go (town hall, court, banks etc).

I've been an executor before and would do so again. I'd guard against doing it jointly unless you have plenty of time and the other person is flexible, having to co-ordinate visits with another person can be a pain especially if they live miles away. It also depends on how complex the estate and will is though.

Age shouldn't be a barrier providing they're mobile enough to visit the various places you need to go (town hall, court, banks etc).

I've been an executor before and would do so again. I'd guard against doing it jointly unless you have plenty of time and the other person is flexible, having to co-ordinate visits with another person can be a pain especially if they live miles away. It also depends on how complex the estate and will is though.

You say age shouldn’t be a barrier but if they are older than the person making the will, they could die before the will maker. Say an older brother or sister so surely it would be better to appoint a son, daughter, nephew or niece ?

You say age shouldn’t be a barrier but if they are older than the person making the will, they could die before the will maker. Say an older brother or sister so surely it would be better to appoint a son, daughter, nephew or niece ?

That makes sense.

Just keep an eye on the health of the executors. If they start looking frail, or even dead, then change the will. I should imagine that having more than 2 executors would be a little unwieldy.