Channel 4 HQ - Sheffield

Guest makapaka

Sheffield seeking to be base for channel 4 new headquarters.

This would be good for the city I believe.

We should try and get behind this where possible.

Well if its channel 4 it will start late.

They will be privatised before long; and then they will be free to move back to London

I really hope Sheffield wins it, it will create tons of jobs!

Does this mean there is a chance I could bump into Rachel Riley? :heyhey:

I hate to say it but I'd imagine Manchester would win it, and it would be another addition to Media City and the shared facilities they already have in place.

They already have history there:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-opens-new-northern-hub-in-manchester

Channel 4 today announced the opening of a new office in Manchester city centre creating a North West hub for the broadcaster’s commercial, creative and industry partners.

The channel’s growing regional sales team in Manchester, headed up by Ewan Douglas, form the core of the new premises – and an open hub space with up to 15 hot desks and meeting rooms for up to 60 people will be available to Channel 4’s Growth Fund indies and its production, creative, commercial and third party sales partners, as well as the Channel 4 Board, Commissioning, Creative Diversity and All 4 Games teams.

And more speculation on the new site here:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/apr/01/channel-4-move-location-location-location-manchester-leeds-birmingham

I'd be very surprised if they chose to move here. Because of Media City Manchester has become the biggest media hub outside f London. It would be great if they came here but I imagine they'll go there instead

This would be excellent for Sheffield.

Salford would be an obvious choice as Media City is already there, but on the other hand, it would be fairer to distribute public sector jobs and investment more widely.

This would be excellent for Sheffield.

Salford would be an obvious choice as Media City is already there, but on the other hand, it would be fairer to distribute public sector jobs and investment more widely.

I agree. Would HMG's occasional threats to private C4 (for it is in public ownership and therefore not very Conservativish) make any difference, I wonder?

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw
'threats' first read 'threads'. Too much time on S Forum...

It would be fantastic if Channel 4 did come to Sheffield - be a real boost to the city.

I'd be very surprised if they chose to move here. Because of Media City Manchester has become the biggest media hub outside f London. It would be great if they came here but I imagine they'll go there instead

That "Media City" in Manchester I believe is the true reason for HS2. Just because its in the north doesn't mean that it will be northerners working there, in front or behind the camera; It'll be mainly southerners, and HS2 is to zoom them up here everyday. And then home, of course.