Central library closure

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/chinadeal/

well on the face of it, this looks like a good deal the cost of bringing this building up to date could be better spent elsewhere and the Graves gallery will stay and they have committed to keep a new library in the city centre.

its not the best looking building and its location is not ideal either

Does Sheffield need yet another hotel? [A: No.]

Does it need a Central Library? [A: Yes.]

Retrofitting is proven as more environmentally sustainable than new build and Sheffield has lots of great buildings that have character and history. The Old Town Hall for one. Maybe moving the library and creating meanwhile or permanent use in the Old Town Hall would be an opportunity to breathe life into Castlegate and provide an opportunity for the library too ?

The Central Library building is historic so it'd be a shame to see the library close, but I don't think it's a bad thing for it to be converted into a hotel when you think about the jobs and money it should bring to Sheffield. It sounds like the council want rid anyway, describing it as not fit for purpose, so better for it to become something useful than sit there empty.

I do hope the Central Library can move somewhere equally nice if it does move away though.

can the city afford to spend £30m on a building which is not used as much as it was in the past? No

should the city look to maximise its assets in a way that keeps a library in town while at the same time bring in additional revenue? Yes

---------- Post added 22-11-2016 at 17:56 ----------

The Central Library building is historic so it'd be a shame to see the library close, but I don't think it's a bad thing for it to be converted into a hotel when you think about the jobs and money it should bring to Sheffield. It sounds like the council want rid anyway, describing it as not fit for purpose, so better for it to become something useful than sit there empty.

I do hope the Central Library can move somewhere equally nice if it does move away though.

i thnk the not fit quote relates to the infrastructure needed to bring it to an acceptable standard for disabled users etc. also im betting the boiler is on its last legs

As said on the old town hall thread, an archives/museum/library in that lovely old building would be excellent, but no doubt the cost is too high. SCC should get the hotel developers to chip in. ;)

At least the council are trying to do something without knocking down buildings this time, provided all the art collections and library facilities are available and possibly in a better equipped building so much the better.

How do we save Sheffield City Library from foreign investors?

Tell them they can have The Old Town Hall.

I wonder if people remember what happened to Ecclesall Library, a lovely old building that belonged to the people of Sheffield. Sold (illegally) and private flats built - and the replacement library a small building with little room for books. If Central Library is sold to become a posh hotel I would not trust the Council to give the new library a decent and sizable building. People go to Central Library to study as well as borrow books and to use the computers. Will there be study rooms in any replacement? or just a token stack of books and a couple of computers?

Tell them they can have The Old Town Hall.

Complete with the council!

How do we save Sheffield City Library from foreign investors?

Come up with more money and better ideas for a start.