Deer in Sheffield?

6.30 this morning took the dog a walk to the General Cemetery.

Wandering round I looked across towards the grassed area at what I thought at first was a large dog. Couldn't believe it when I saw it was a Deer.

Where on earth has it come from?

It looked in very good condition, and very calm until the dog saw it and then it was off. The dog had no chance of catching it, a quick burst of speed and it was gone.

I visit the cemetery most days but never expected to see a Deer wandering about.

I assume it must have followed the Porter Brook into the city and then roamed around until getting to the cemetery. Deer can cover quite some distance in one night, 3 to 4 miles is not uncommon apparently so if it came in from Whiteley Woods for example it could do that in a night, does beg the question, where is it going to hide...

I don't think it will have a quiet life if it stays in the cemetery, what with the dogs that are walked there. It's a Roe Deer, apparently they feed at dawn and dusk and lay up during the day, they are a ruminant.

Don't know what might become of it, it's only half a mile or so from the City Center.

It is becoming a problem in many towns and cities.

"The "kings of the forest" have been spotted on roundabouts, in cemeteries and on golf courses as the population explodes across the UK.

The animals not only damage trees and spread disease but are responsible for causing more than 74,000 road accidents every year, including up to 20 fatalities.

The problem is so bad that a major conference is being held this weekend in Warwickshire, Deer Management 2010, to work out the best way to deal with "urban deer"."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/7429164/Urban-deer-a-growing-problem-for-UK.html

Wow that must have been some sight. ��

I was working last night on one of the roads off South Road at Walkley. It was about 7pm and there was a fox stood in the middle of the road looking right at me!! I was frightened to say the least but it just toddled off. To me that was an amazing sight ��. All these animals I've only ever seen on telly before right there before my eyes

There is a growing population of them now on the south west edges of the city, out into the peaks. Seen loads of them when I've been running out there especially in the evenings

It is becoming a problem in many towns and cities.

"The "kings of the forest" have been spotted on roundabouts, in cemeteries and on golf courses as the population explodes across the UK.

The animals not only damage trees and spread disease but are responsible for causing more than 74,000 road accidents every year, including up to 20 fatalities.

The problem is so bad that a major conference is being held this weekend in Warwickshire, Deer Management 2010, to work out the best way to deal with "urban deer".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/7429164/Urban-deer-a-growing-problem-for-UK.html

An easy answer to that one - venison.

Fantastic sight to see. Theres one that lives in a hedgerow near the bottom of Ecclesall Road.

I saw one in the woods once. Beautiful sight, we were there for what seemed ages just watching it feed. Then it noticed us and walked off, without a sound. I think we were still stood there stunned.

The urban wildlife is brilliant to see. Along as your quiet and keep your distance its amazing what you see.

Once you tune in and know what to look for you see alsorts of surprising animals. We get loads of different garden visitors so I set up a facebook page to share. https://m.facebook.com/lardysgarden

Wow that must have been some sight. ��

I was working last night on one of the roads off South Road at Walkley. It was about 7pm and there was a fox stood in the middle of the road looking right at me!! I was frightened to say the least but it just toddled off. To me that was an amazing sight ��. All these animals I've only ever seen on telly before right there before my eyes

Why would you be frightened of a fox, especially as it was some yards away from you - it was probably more frightened of you!

"The dog had no chance of catching it"..... Hope it didn't try !!

I don't know how it would react! If I see a strange dog out and about, I'm very wary.

I saw a deer in my house once. Well at first i thought it was a Deer. It had got its way into the fridge but on closer inspection it was just a mousse