New Cinema on The Moor - Light

The building just down from Debenhams is apparently being demolished and going to be a new cinema.

But which organisation will be taking it on, who is in the running and will the Odeon relocate there?

It wont do very well whether its odeon or not. People prefer centertainment or meadowhall for the cinema normally.

If i remember an artists impression of the new building it's going to also include new shops and restaurant. So with this block, the new market and shops on the other side and the new block where the old Macdonalds stands the Moor is going to look rather different

It wont do very well whether its odeon or not. People prefer centertainment or meadowhall for the cinema normally.

Easy to see why. Although parking fees in the centre are a necessity (IMHO) Centertainment and Meadowhall offer free parking and plentyful parking.

Your average cinema screen seats around 250 people, if the new one has say 5 screens then, assuming the cinema sells out and each person brings their own car then they'd need 1250 parking spaces.

I know that the above scenario is highly improbable but not impossible and the point being there's no where for a car park of that capacity in the city centre.

I hadn't noticed the city hall, or the Crucible failing because of a lack of car parking and you never know ther might be plans to build a seven storey multi-storey car park above the cinema.. I'd of thought that if it is going to have more than one screen it would probably take after the showroom which again doesn't have it's own car park and yet seems to function perfectly well.

.....they'd need 1250 parking spaces.

I know that the above scenario is highly improbable but not impossible and the point being there's no where for a car park of that capacity in the city centre.

Do these cinema goers need their own car park?

There are already car parks nearby with much more capacity than this.

Also there are plenty of people who live in the city centre or use public transport and have no need for parking.

Do these cinema goers need their own car park?

There are already car parks nearby with much more capacity than this.

Totally agree.

The theatres are hardly struggling due to their lack of car parking. Neither is the Showroom or any of the other leisure venues.

Gotta love this city. Things get criticised before they have even got off the drawing board stage. No wonder this place never develops.

Sheffielders dont seem to like change. Just look how many people pine on about the days of Redgates, Robert Brothers and cars being able to drive down the moor. The 60s are gone people. Life has moved on.

I hadn't noticed the city hall, or the Crucible failing because of a lack of car parking and you never know ther might be plans to build a seven storey multi-storey car park above the cinema.. I'd of thought that if it is going to have more than one screen it would probably take after the showroom which again doesn't have it's own car park and yet seems to function perfectly well.

City Hall: generally speciality acts that aren't big enough for the arena.

Crucible/Lyceum: Same above above but slightly different obviously as they are theatres.

Showroom: Cinema that shows alternative type films.

If a new cinema is showing same as Meadowhall/Centertainment then what is the selling point, now you have to pay to park in town at night?

Totally agree.

The theatres are hardly struggling due to their lack of car parking. Neither is the Showroom or any of the other leisure venues.

Gotta love this city. Things get criticised before they have even got off the drawing board stage. No wonder this place never develops.

Sheffielders dont seem to like change. Just look how many people pine on about the days of Redgates, Robert Brothers and cars being able to drive down the moor. The 60s are gone people. Life has moved on.

As have people's trends. There used to be loads of cinemas in town, and most closed down.

Odeon is a dive. That whole area is being redeveloped.

I welcome a new cinema on The Moor.

City Hall: generally speciality acts that aren't big enough for the arena.

Crucible/Lyceum: Same above above but slightly different obviously as they are theatres.

Showroom: Cinema that shows alternative type films.

If a new cinema is showing same as Meadowhall/Centertainment then what is the selling point, now you have to pay to park in town at night?

As have people's trends. There used to be loads of cinemas in town, and most closed down.

As others have said - to serve the needs of people who live in or near the city, the many people who dont necessarilly drive, those people who work in the city, are visiting the city centre or the many many students who live very close to the centre who may not wish to travel out to Attercliffe or Meadowhall.