Disposing of corporate workwear

Can't you just cut the logos out of the shirts? Then they can go into the usual rag collection.

Otherwise burn them in an incinerator.

My thoughts as well :)

I've rung round a few places and they all want to burn it. What an absolute waste.

Serious question; what did you think they could do with it? If its confidential destruction it gets burnt or shredded then burnt.

Some absorbent redundant fabric, offcuts and clothes, can be made into rags but they have to absorb something to be useful. These need to be in large volume to be worth doing.

Certain textile fibres may be recycled in to new fabric but they have to be in large enough bulk to be economically and technically viable.

Cut the logos off and take them to the place at Drakehouse retail park that buys old clothes for so much per kg.

Most charity shops will accept bags of rags clearly marked as such, as they sell them separately to wearable garments. Spend a few hours cutting the logos off (as suggested above), then bag up and donate.

Serious question; what did you think they could do with it? If its confidential destruction it gets burnt or shredded then burnt.

Some absorbent redundant fabric, offcuts and clothes, can be made into rags but they have to absorb something to be useful. These need to be in large volume to be worth doing.

Certain textile fibres may be recycled in to new fabric but they have to be in large enough bulk to be economically and technically viable.

There are plenty of places I can send fabric for recycling as a private citizen. I've been to suppliers where there have been literally been rows of artics chock full of rags to make carpets. I'm assuming they aren't going door to door collecting textiles so they're getting them from somewhere. Now, as pointed out I can cut the logo out but I'm still stuck with a load of fabric I should technically dispose of as a business. The "best" and legal way is to put it in a bin and send it up smoke.

I was hoping someone might have come up with something better. Sadly not.

Edited by tinfoilhat

There are plenty of places I can send fabric for recycling as a private citizen. I've been to suppliers where there have been literally been rows of artics chock full of rags to make carpets. I'm assuming they aren't going door to door collecting textiles so they're getting them from somewhere. Now, as pointed out I can cut the logo out but I'm still stuck with a load of fabric I should technically dispose of as a business. The "best" and legal way is to put it in a bin and send it up smoke.

I was hoping someone might have come up with something better. Sadly not.

See my bold; that's exactly what I said. Volume and type of fabric are key. You can't make a product out of waste if its not the right material. Speak directly to one of these businesses if you don't believe me.

See my bold; that's exactly what I said. Volume and type of fabric are key. You can't make a product out of waste if its not the right material. Speak directly to one of these businesses if you don't believe me.

But to get the volume they've got to get it from somewhere. Probably from whoever runs the local tip up and down the country, - you'll know better than me. Point being the avenues to get stuff like that in the system is harder for a business than a private individual. I could take a solitary teatowel to my local municipal dump and put it in the right section it there's a chance - again you'll know better than I - that it will end up in a carpet or some other recycled product. I didn't expect it would be that easy for a business, these things never are, but I didn't expect it to be so hard!

But to get the volume they've got to get it from somewhere. Probably from whoever runs the local tip up and down the country, - you'll know better than me. Point being the avenues to get stuff like that in the system is harder for a business than a private individual. I could take a solitary teatowel to my local municipal dump and put it in the right section it there's a chance - again you'll know better than I - that it will end up in a carpet or some other recycled product. I didn't expect it would be that easy for a business, these things never are, but I didn't expect it to be so hard!

Civic Amenity sites are usually run by a third party contractor appointed by the council. Collection will be third party even if the council run it themselves.

I can see your point. Businesses often don't know their legal obligations of how to deal with waste. If you know about something its not hard, if you don't know, its more difficult. If you already have someone doing your general waste bin as a business, which you should, even if its a small wheeled bin (which you would pay for), you could just ask them to deal with it, it wouldn't be as difficult for you then.

Not all waste companies are the same. For example, we don't deal with domestic waste, just business waste. Not all waste companies want to deal in textile recycling. Unfortunately a lot of general waste gets shredded and burnt not recycled. With small volumes its not technically, environmentally, economically and practicable (TEEP) to have separate collections.

Civic Amenity sites are usually run by a third party contractor appointed by the council. Collection will be third party even if the council run it themselves.

I can see your point. Businesses often don't know their legal obligations of how to deal with waste. If you know about something its not hard, if you don't know, its more difficult. If you already have someone doing your general waste bin as a business, which you should, even if its a small wheeled bin (which you would pay for), you could just ask them to deal with it, it wouldn't be as difficult for you then.

Not all waste companies are the same. For example, we don't deal with domestic waste, just business waste. Not all waste companies want to deal in textile recycling. Unfortunately a lot of general waste gets shredded and burnt not recycled. With small volumes its not technically, environmentally, economically and practicable (TEEP) to have separate collections.

Which is where I'm at. I rang them and my bin people will burn it, like they burn a lot of the stuff that ends up in my bin, and frankly with things off cuts of wood and bits of packaging that's probably the best thing for it. It's a one-off situation and I shouldnt expect them to have the capacity to turn a on-off around the way I want. But my inner eco-warrior isn't happy about it!

I know nothing about this sort of thing, but maybe it would be cheap to get a company to print over the logo. Or I could nip round with a spray can. Something indelible, like auto spray paint?

Or stencil "deleted" or "rubbish" over the badge, same way? Perhaps a bunch of related words, "rubbish", "surplus", "scrap", then into the charity shop.

Maybe it could start a fashion, let's face it, there have been stranger fashions - torn jeans, shabby chic, VW badges, purple hair, flapper styles, the bustle......

Surely people walking around with your company logo on their shirt is free advertising for your company? Why assume they're going to end up on the torso of some criminal? And even if they did, how is that anything to with you?